Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 Case 40XT Sticky Control Issue and Fan Question

Dbchaplin · 2018-01-29 21:52

2003 Case 40XT with 940 hours. Bought used and have put 60 hours on it with little trouble. Operated perfect and smooth when parked 6 weeks ago and now the right joystick for forward and reverse has a catch or is sticky. The left side is buttery smooth as was the right side before it was parked (central Ohio) cold temps was stored in a non insulated shed. The weather warmed up and I was bringing it up to the garage to go ahead and knock out the 1000 hr hydro service and the right joystick was sticky and catching going forward and backwards. Tilted the cab and first thought was something in the linkage. Linkage is all super smooth. Catch is inside the (I believe it’s called the tandem pump) where the linkage connects to the pump. The shaft going down into the pump is where the catch is coming from. It was catchy, jerky both while operating and also shut down in the shop with the cab tilted. I unbolted and pulled the shaft out of the top of the pump wondering if maybe it got gunked up but it didn’t make any difference what so ever when I cleaned it off and reassembled. I’m really concerned that something may be wrong with the pump and I priced it at Messicks and it was like $5G or something like that. I have no idea why it would have issues like that with only 940 hrs and I’m very gentle on it. It’s only used on my acreage to clear honeysuckle and a tiny bit of dirt work so far. Any chance it could be from sitting for 6-8 will clear up with some operation? I haven’t heard of any common problems with these tandem pumps, only the drive motor issue with the older machines. Any Thought? Secondly, I’m constantly clearing honeysuckle. A couple acres left to go and I’m always sucking leaves, sticks and crap into the engine compartment. I have the radiator out to change the belt and some other stuff and I was wondering if I unbolt the fan if there is a way to reverse it? Could it be as simple as just in bolting it and reinstalling Backwards? Any downside to this? I know a lot of the JD machines have reversible fans and I think it would help keep the crap out of the engine compartment.

Replies10
  1. #1GaryHoff2018-01-30 00:31

    1. Seems odd that the pump servo spool would start sticking on you. There is seals in there, so maybe one of them is starting to deteriorate. Try replacing them first. I would also re-inspect your linkages, as that is the more common cause of a "catch" o-ring 238-5012 back up ring s99877 spool 324605a1 2. There is no pull fan available from Case. Case doesn't offer one, due to sending exhaust into the cab. Turning your fan around will not change the direction of air flow. If you are set on getting a pull fan, then you may want to consider a cleanfix fan or similar. You will be able to change direction, and it will also reverse to clean your rad. https://cleanfix.org/en https://www.flexxaire.com/flexxaire-reversible-fan/

  2. #2Dbchaplin2018-01-30 07:04

    Thank you for all the information. I am positive the catch is inside that pump. I disconnected the linkage all together and moved that shaft going down into the pump by hand and it is definitely sticking inside. How hard are those seals to change? Can they be changed with the pump servo spool still in the machine? I’m a pretty decent mechanic. I’m getting ready to place an order with Messicks anyhow so if they aren’t too bad to change I would like to do it now while i have it in the shop tore down anyhow. Plus I’m changing all the hydraulic fluid and stuff anyhow so it seems like a good time to do it.

  3. #3GaryHoff2018-01-30 22:29

    The seals are easy to change, remove the spring, mark the spring plate to the pump, remove the plate, and pull the spool out. Make sure you put the spool back in the exact same way, as it is directional (so don't put it 180 degrees out)

  4. #4Dbchaplin2018-01-30 22:55

    I dug through the parts breakdown today and realized that I had that spool out already but didn’t realize that is what I was calling the shaft. I went ahead and ordered all new Orings for it today along with the other stuff I needed to get it fully serviced for more land clearing this spring. It is quite easy to get that out. I didn’t pull the spool apart from the sleeve when I had it out because as soon as I pulled it it starting pouring oil out of course and I was trying to avoid a big mess in the belly pan. Hopefully that will clear up this catching issue. If so I’m out a whole whopping $6. That will be the second cheapest fix I’ve had on it lol. After that it will have its entire 1000 hr service done, had the radiator gone through while it was out. Will have all new fluids, filters, and tires.

  5. #5Dbchaplin2018-02-16 18:28

    Gary Hoff Sorry for the delayed response. I took the spool out and the 3 pieces that make it up, the spool, sleeve, and guide were all seized together. looks like the guide got moisture in it and rusted everything together. I had to order a new spool and guide which just came in today. I also ordered all new o-rings of course. New problem now. I reassembled it this evening and now the machine jumps or creeps forward (only the right side i was working on) when i start it and drop the lap bar down (release the parking break). the motion both forward and backwards is now perfectly smooth but as soon as the stick is in the neutral position, it is creeping forward pretty bad. Can you give me an idea of what would be causing this problem now? I assembled it exactly like it came apart, the sleeve has a slot in it so it can only go in one way. I thought that maybe i got the spool backwards, so i swapped it the other way.. Same problem.. The only thing i can think of is 1 of 2 things below: 1) There are 2 different tandem pumps listed by case for my machine. They have different part numbers for the o-rings and the dealer couldn't identify based off the serial number or pump markings which pump i have so they ordered the seals for the 404281A1. Is it possible the wrong o-rings (4 total) would cause this? The Guide, spool, and sleeve are all the same part number for both pumps but the o-rings are different numbers for some reason. (one of the o-rings for the sleeve on the 140008A2 pump is not sold individually and only comes with either buying a new sleeve (>$300) or a complete pump gasket kit ($205)... 2) The sleeve was rusty the top 1/2" where the guide sits over it on the outside and also the inside where the spool goes through. I cleaned up all the rust with a wire wheel on my die grinder for the outside and used the brass brushes from my gun cleaning kit on the inside. I got it cleaned up really good but there were some pits in the metal from the rust... Would this cause it? (that sleeve is over $300 by itself and the other two parts were $250).. I'm hoping the sleeve isn't causing this but of course it is suspicious.. The only thing i can think of is that fluid is leaking past a seal causing the jumping or creeping forward.. I tried adjusting the linkage bit it doesn't affect anything. I disconnected the linkage all together and it still creeps. I assume it is a fluid getting through a seal problem.

  6. #6heymccall2018-02-16 20:13

    To prevent creep, the spring plate is adjustable. Case uses a shouldered lock bolt that leaves an impression on the spring plate. You'll need to move the spring plate and secure it in another position. Without being there, I can't tell you which way, but, the original position is the source of the creep.

  7. #7Dbchaplin2018-02-16 20:48

    I was sitting here this evening in deep thought about this problem. Especially after re-reading this post several times and I realized this could be the problem as I went through the mechanicals of each piece. You just confirmed my suspicion and I really appreciate the response. I know which way it needs to go based on my messing around with the linkage adjustment today. I’ll tilt the cab and adjust this creep out of it tomorrow morning.. great news so far!!

  8. #8GaryHoff2018-02-17 02:00

    +1 from heymccall post Disconnect your linkage, and slightly rotate 21, until you stop the creeping. If that doesn't stop the creeping, you will have to center the pumps.

  9. #9Dbchaplin2018-02-17 10:00

    Gentlemen, Thank you so much for your advice and input!! Adjusted that spring bracket this morning and it is literally as smooth and good as new. In fact I went ahead and ordered new orings for the left side this morning because now that I know what it is supposed to feel like, the other side that wasn’t (havin problems) now feels sticky since the right side is back to being new. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to get that one apart though without having to replace any of the major parts because it is still smooth, just not as smooth as the right side now lol. And now that I know what it is supposed to feel like I’m excited to get that side functioning just as well. Thanks again! This forum has saved me thousands of $’s over the years. Between the full 1000 hr servicing, repairing this tandem pump, changing the engine belt, having the radiator cleaned/inspected while it was out, adjusting the parking brakes, and several other things, I can’t imagine how much I saved just in the past 2 wks. You guys/Gals rock!

  10. #10Flexxaire2018-03-15 12:05

    Hi, feel free to contact us (FLEXXAIRE) if you are interested in a reversible fan, we will be glad to assist you. www.flexxaire.com You can also reach us at 780 483 3267 , toll-free in North America at 1 866 489 3267 or [email protected]