Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 cat 303cr bogging down when under a load!!

Catman75 · 2012-09-27 22:38

So here we go the machine has 4100hrs on it I got some bad fuel back in the spring and had to take all the lines off and clean them up and replace filters and drain and flush the tank.thought everything was fine until recently when it started acting up first thing that happend was the glow plug light started stating on constantly so I thought that was making it big down under a load found the gp solenoid or timer was bad replaced and that cured that problem.But the machine still is bogging down under a load especially once it gets hot it won't completely die but it gets darn close Ohh and I forgot to mention we just recently replaced Injectors to thinking that maybe the bad fuel caused problem with them and that didn't change it either any ideas guys I'm puzzled???!!!

Replies11
  1. #1Bob/Ont2012-10-04 16:05

    What's coming out the stack when it's running strong and when it boggs down. Later Bob

  2. #2Catman752012-10-05 16:59

    Thanks for the reply Man U am getting a little black smoke when it acts up... Thanks Jason

  3. #3Bob/Ont2012-10-05 17:37

    Jason, that black smoke says the hyd are overloading the engine. Your machine is electronically controled as to the pump volume and that is likely the problem. If you get someone with ET to calibrate the machine, especially the PRV . This may sound like a big expence but it's the way to go and machine will work right. Later Bob

  4. #4Cjthien022023-10-21 01:32

    My 303cr is doing something similar any sort of load bogs down the motor. You can track for about 3 feet sometimes 20 feet and the motor bogs down and slows tracking and when you return the foot pedals to neutral the engine throttles back up. It happens when you move any thing. The thumb, swing motor, stick, bucket, and boom. I also noticed the volt meter we installed on it is around 15-16 volts where it is normally at 14.5. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

  5. #5Chrisso2023-10-21 19:14

    Machine s/n is DMA04209 (found in a previous thread). Have a play with all the hydraulic controls on this machine. If one control is sticking (not finding neutral) the pilot oil won't drain and will cause the symptoms you have. Otherwise we need to determine if this is an engine issue or hydraulic issue. Fuel and hydraulic pressure testing will be required. When at low idle/no load does the engine sound healthy? Is it blowing smoke under load when it bogs down? As for the 15-16 volts charging, have you confirmed those numbers with another gauge? How did you fix the start circuit fuse blowing issue in your last thread?

  6. #6Cjthien022023-10-21 21:13

    The start circuit fuse blowing issue was solved with a new starter/starter solenoid. There was quite a bit of extra resistance in the solenoid. When at low idle and high idle the engine sounds healthy. Today it ran for about 10 minutes fine then started acting up again. There was no smoke when it was bogging down. I intentionally bogged it down when it was acting up to check for smoke and there was none. I haven’t checked with another gauge. Today it was reading 18-19 but when I shut it down it was reading 15.5

  7. #7heymccall2023-10-21 22:01

    I suspect partial blockage at the separator inlet. In the actual elbow.

  8. #8Simon C2023-10-21 22:19

    Heymccall is probably right about checking the elbow. Also putting about 1 PSI of air pressure with a rag over the fuel tank inlet while loading the motor could also help to tell if something is plugged in the fuel supply circuit. A hose hooked to the outlet of the filter into a pail with air pushing gently at tank will tell lots about blockage. Simon C

  9. #9Chrisso2023-10-22 07:08

    That to me suggests hydraulic system is not the cause. X 3 what Heymccal said. You can also try pulling the fuel cap when it's bogging down. Wish I could find some specs on that little transfer pump.

  10. #10Cjthien022023-10-23 00:08

    I pulled the fuel filters off and they were really bad so definitely hoping that’s the issue cleaned the water separator filter(metal screen filter) and ordered the main fuel filter. Also going to replace the hydraulic filter and service it as it likely hasn’t been done In a while. I won’t be able to run it for awhile as we are redoing some cylinder seals while the machine is in the shop.

  11. #11Cjthien022023-11-02 00:01

    Thank you guys for your help. Changing the fuel filter made a world of difference.