Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 caterpillar 924g randomly stops moving

Cmo18 · 2022-01-10 20:55

We Just got a 2003 cat 924g to plow snow. Last storm it plowed for about 8 hours and then suddenly would stop moving. You couldn’t go forward or reverse. We added some fluid and it started moving again. Now the blinking ! Is staying on. Is there a way to clear the codes? I’m assuming there is a transmission leak somewheres.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2022-01-11 08:49

    Start with a Serial Number please .... it will help tracking down information regarding how to identify the Diagnostic Code(s) that are causing the Master Warning light to flash. Is the machine moving now or has it stopped again.? How are you measuring the transmission oil level.? Engine stopped or engine running.? Warm or cold.? Last question. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance manual for the loader.? It should be in the pocket behind the operator seat but may well have disappeared by now. If not you really need to get one. They are only about US$50 to download from the web.

  2. #2Cmo182022-01-11 20:38

    Cat0924gkdda00669 we got the loader moving again but it is still acting up. I have a bunch of codes as well, but cannot find what the codes mean? Is there some place I can look them? I attached a picture of one of the codes. Anyone know how to read the codes?

  3. #3Nige2022-01-12 07:40

    There are a number of us on here who can interpret what the Codes mean and give you guidance on how to troubleshoot the Active ones. The attachment gives the procedure how to access the Diagnostic Codes. Let the system scroll through them noting which ones are Active and post a list of your Active Codes back here. For example the one in the photo above (from the fuel injection pump) has no "A" in the left window and therefore it is not active. It was there once but is not there now. Also it would be nice to have answers to the questions about how you're checking the transmission oil level and whether you have an O&M Manual or not.

  4. #4Cmo182022-01-12 09:28

    I don’t have an owner manual, we check the fluid with the engine running and cold generally. The previous owner has a red fluid in it and I don’t think it’s the correct fluid. I’ve attached the two codes with an A next to them.

  5. #5Nige2022-01-12 11:14

    You can download one from Cat for US$49 and I strongly suggest that you do. It covers all aspects of operation and also the basic maintenance tasks including how to check levels and the specifications for oil in the various compartments. To download a copy, go to https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7645 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. If you buy a CD or a paper manual S&H charges will apply on top of the listed prices. Downloads are normally available within 5 minutes.

  6. #6Nige2022-01-12 11:19

    It's actually checked either stopped cold (when it should be right to the top or even out of the top of the sight glass) or running at normal operating temperature when it should be between the MIN & MAX marks in the sight glass. Checking that it's out of the top of the sight glass before starting then check again after working when the machine is idling before shutdown is what I'd suggest. Unless someone put red dye in it so that it shows up better in the sight glass (the recommended oils are a kind of straw colour that does not show up well) I would tend to agree. I think by the colour it could likely be ATF which is not recommended for a 924G transmission. What sort of year-round maximum and minimum ambient temperatures do you experience at your location.? I'm going to recommend changing the transmission oil and filter but want to check what's the best oil for it. That will depend on the temperatures where you are.

  7. #7Nige2022-01-12 11:30

    Attached are the troubleshooting procedures for the two Active Diagnostic Codes. With one being for the brake pressure sensor and the other being for the transmission temperature sensor either one (or both) of them could potentially cause funky machine movement. If you need a complete electrrical schematic to help you with diagnostics please ask and I'll send you one.

  8. #8Cmo182022-01-13 12:52

    Hi Nigel, yes we used the loader last night and the transmission light came on as well as the blinking ! does the wiring schematic show where these sensors are located? We looked quickly last night before going plowing.

  9. #9Nige2022-01-13 13:13

    Yes it does. I'll send you a copy.