Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 F250SD with the 6.0L diesel How dependable

maddog ยท 2016-01-12 09:18

Title explains it, how dependable is the F250 SD with the 6.0 diesel engine? It has 262k miles on it, any one here have any experience with them. I've read a bunch of mixed reviews, some say don't go near, while others say it'll go an easy 500K

Replies27
  1. #1Birken Vogt2016-01-12 10:14

    They were the beginnings of Ford and International suing the pants off each other and ultimately parting ways.

  2. #2JNB2016-01-12 10:39

    With that many miles I'd say its past the problem stage. I still wouldn't own a 6.0 and that's coming from a Ford guy. Well...I used to be I guess. The 6.0 and 6.4 pretty much put an end to that. With no good diesels available from Ford for quite a few years, I settled on a low mileage 2004.5 Dodge Cummins. I am far less than impressed. The Cummins is just ok, but I'll never own another Dodge, that's for sure. The last good truck I owned was a '99 F350 with a 7.3. Still own it as a matter of fact. At 323k miles it's been as dependable as anyone could ask for. Ford may get me back with the 6.7...

  3. #3bteigrob2016-01-12 10:48

    I have a friend who owns a Ford with the 6.0. About 5 years back he had to overhaul the thing and just a few months ago it went out again. The way they set that up where they have 2 oil circuits, 1 low pressure for the bearings and liners and 1 high pressure to regulate the injectors, is not the greatest idea in my opinion. Just my 2 cents though

  4. #4lumberjack2016-01-12 11:02

    I've had two 6.0s, both 2006's, both blew head gaskets, both had studs and bullet proof EGR coolers installed and both gave good service. The 550 did blow an oil cooler, but that's more of a fluke than a common issue. I sold the F550 in 2014 with 216k miles on it. It's working in Hawaii now for a guy with 2 2015 6.7 F550s and he prefers the 2006. I have a 2013 F550 and I prefer the newer. I'll be selling the 2006 F250 with ~140k miles on it at some point in the near future. At 262k miles, I would expect the price would be very cheap, and not very reliable.

  5. #5jprefect2016-01-12 12:12

    I have a friend that buys them and flips. Every single one he has bought ether needed and motor or major work somewhere else.

  6. #6Shimmy12016-01-12 20:24

    RUN. Far, far, away. Ford lost many a good customer over that POS 6.0. Injectors, turbos, head gaskets, everything that leaves you dead or very nearly dead in the water and thousands of $$$$ to fix. Most worthless modern diesel ever built. (6.2 GM was worse)

  7. #7Truck Shop2016-01-12 20:36

    True statement. The 2005 and 06 Duramax had its issues with injector problems. My brother has a 97 350 quad cab 4x4 power stroke, loaded options and 51,000 original miles all highway. When he drives anywhere some one always asks if it's for sale.

  8. #887silvert2016-01-12 20:49

    People use the term 'bulletproofed' with these motors and the work done to them does help. The head studs, egr delete, etc. Even with that stuff done there are too many things that can be a nuisance or worse, leave you on the side of the road. I own four 7.3 trucks and am tempted at times to get a 6.0 because of how smooth they run, the power, and updating without the big price. Then I come to reality.

  9. #9jd12342016-01-12 21:07

    Agree with "run away".. Even if someone gives it to you, take it to the scrap yard for cash, you will be further ahead.

  10. #10lumberjack2016-01-12 23:04

    I had a 2000 F550 with a 7.3L. I much preferred the 06 F550 to the 2000. Ride quality, cut angle (steering), greatly reduced noise in the cab, more power (7.3 was lightly modded). The 2000 F550 was a great truck, it was totaled in an accident and I bought the 2006. The 2000's only issue I remember was a blown O ring in a HPOP line. The 2006 had cracked injector cup and that head was replaced under warranty (200k mile extended warranty). While they had it apart I paid for the studs and bullet proof EGR cooler to be done. It was trouble free until the oil cooler blew a few years later. I had a profitable year and a friend was wanting the truck, so I sold it to him while it was at the shop (had them replace the LPOP before I knew he wanted it) and bought the 2013 F550 a few months later. My next Ford will be a 6.7L. If times were tight, I would get a 6.0L over a 7.3 hands down. 05.5+ have a coil sprung front end, which affords a much better turning radius. The only Powerstroke I purposefully avoided and would continue to do so is the 6.4L. It had (or I read) too many failures that caused engine replacement.... the 6.0L's issues are predictable and comparatively affordable.

  11. #11mikebramel2016-01-12 23:37

    7.3 are old and just as likely to leave you on the side of the road. FICM, wiring harness, etc. Injectors cost just as much.... Those trucks are way over priced.

  12. #12Shimmy12016-01-13 00:07

    I have a 95 7.3. 306,000 miles. Have put a water pump, harmonic balancer, and new orings on the high pressure oil regulator. Three glow plugs since I bought it with 120,000 miles. If the 7.3 is properly cared for, the only engine that will outlast them is a 12 valve 5.9.

  13. #13wornout wrench2016-01-13 07:39

    And I drive the ugly, red headed step child (98 Chevy 6.5) My least favorite engine in the world would be the fix liter (6 liter), I have been towed home way to many times driving one of those POS. In a service truck you need to drive them like you stole it to get them to move, no low end to speak of. We had a fleet of those pieces of garbage. Seriously, you could not give me one. Now I know lots of gear heads who own them, they are capable of making huge power, but bring your wallet with you because they tend to break. Our fleet has 2- 7.3's left, 1- 6 liter, we missed the 6.4's and have 2- 6.7's. The only ones that I would give you any money for are the 7.3's. The 6.7's have not been the best either. I know lots of guys that are going back to gas just because of all the problems and expense's that the new diesels are causing. Would I buy the truck you are looking at. Are you good with tools and don't mind spending money and time, go for it :my2c

  14. #14maddog2016-01-13 07:43

    Thanks for all the input folks. I'd like a dodge cummins but there don't seem to be any around in my price range(this area) I did have a cummins freight shaker years back 1986(I think??) it was a piece of crap. Went to a freight shaker with a cat 1991 and what a difference, of course comparing a big rig to a pick up is not the same. If I do go look at this truck is there anything I should check "tell tail" signs that might prove it to be no good. I'm not a stranger to diesel engines just want to make sure I can find out as much as possible/leave no stone unturned, so to speak? Not counting the engine, is everything else fairly dependable. I'm not a FORD guy never had an interest in them, but if I can get a dependable truck then that's what is important. Hate to get rid of my chevy w45(Isuzu NPR)4cylinder diesel VERY dependable, but I really need 4 wheel drive and would like an upgrade.

  15. #15lumberjack2016-01-13 08:45

    What's your budget?

  16. #16maddog2016-01-14 06:58

    I decided against the truck, just to many warning signs for model. I asked the dealer about any warranty's on it etc... and he won't get back to me, so I think that told me a lot.

  17. #17Catback2016-01-14 07:32

    Ugly? May not break any speed records, but it is a dependable workhorse. I have one in one of my plow trucks. 400k on the truck, 65k on the replacement engine, which is used virtually exclusively for plowing. The 6.5 is a tough engine, easy to work on (in those rare cases), and parts are cheap. The 6.5 is good for a work truck.

  18. #18Shimmy12016-01-14 10:38

    Must be a pre-1996. After 95 they were notorious for the block cracking from the main journals up through the cam bearing bores. Losing oil pressure is the beginning of the end.

  19. #19Catback2016-01-14 11:12

    Well, the truck is a '96 overbuilt 2500 (+8600 gvw) w/ a replaced engine (I bought the truck with the replace3d engine already installed) that has done very well by me for 7 years. No engine problems short of two glow plugs, new turbo and new exhaust manifolds. None of those issues are "engine" problems.

  20. #20wornout wrench2016-01-14 16:20

    :trdjk I know we are off topic. My old truck doesn't move that much anymore, all I really use it for is the occasional run to the garbage dump and for pulling my travel trailer. My wife will use it if she needs to make a grocery run and I have the car. For what it does now, I will just keep it until it dies. I bought it in 2002, it had just over 80K km on it. I'm just over 200K now. Other than the usual consumables going on it, I have put 1 injection pump and 2 black boxes and a radiator. My trailer weighs 5000 lbs empty. I don't go very fast when I am towing and you know when you are on a hill. It has survived 3 kids driving it, 2 of them learned how to drive on it, it has been T boned on a cold frosty night when another car slide through a stop sign and pasted it right on the corner of the cab. I was filled with gas one day by one of the kids, had to be towed home (I was working out of town at the time), possibly why the Injection pump went. I disconnected the ABS years ago, it had issues where the brakes would just release for now reason and through the stop light you would go, never hit anybody but had to change my shorts a few times I have a few electrical gremlins in the dash cluster right now. The high beam indicator will not work today, but is fine tomorow, the dash light on the tach side will not light, then start to work, the turn indicator on the left side will work but not the right. and then all is fine. I love the body style of the 98, and the dash and controls. It is the Silverado package so nice interior, leather seats and all. Knowing what I know now back then, would I have still bought it. Probably. The price was right. When the time comes to replace it, no more diesels for me. Just not worth it anymore for the casual driving that I do. If I had to replace it today, I would go with a Ford F-250 Superduty with the 6.2 gas in it. I am still not a big ford fan, but we do run fords at work and the new ones have impressed me so far. ( I still think that 79 was the last year that ford built a real pickup truck. Just saying) Okay, back on topic

  21. #21Birken Vogt2016-01-14 18:34

    I dunno, my 86 6.9 I gave away and it is still going for occasional use, and my 97 7.3 has been a hoss of a truck, I am working on a replacement now but there is nothing major wrong with it, just want to get into something less worn before it does let go.

  22. #22kb9tci2016-01-14 21:43

    I reeeallly have never been a fan of a 6.0. I went against every gut feeling I had and picked up a 2006 with 89k miles on it after being talked into it by a very reputable Ford mechanic. Needed another service truck for the shop. I combed over that truck like crazy, and finally talked myself into it. What a f*&^ing bad idea. Before it finished the hour drive home, it dumped antifreeze down the side of the truck.. :Banghead:guns:guns:guns:badidea:badidea:badidea:duh:shf

  23. #2390plow2016-01-14 22:51

    Well i hope you have about 6 grand laying aroung for head gaskets. I have two right now and they are just too finicky to make good work trucks. Ill be selling one of them in the spring!

  24. #24JDOFMEMI2016-01-14 23:05

    Well, I had the misfortune of SIX of them, all new, and all bought before the troubles showed up. They run strong, when they run, but good luck keeping them running. One got returned under the lemon law after 3 engines in the first 30,000 miles. The rest were barely better. I have one left, and it is again on its last leg. They cost many thousands at a time when they break down, and never at a good time. As many times as I had to take my lowbed out after a dead one, I could have started my own towing company. Ford was of little help during the warranty period, and less than no help after. One was in 7 times to make it to 100,000 miles. The best one made 200,000 miles with about 6 major malfunctions. I hope to never see another one. If you gave me one, I would sell it at auction, because I would not want the complaints to come back to me. I have seen at Ritchie Brothers auction two trucks in similar condition, same year, one Ford 6.0 and one Dodge 5.9. The Ford had substantially less miles, probably due to its frequent resting in the repair shop, and the Dodge bring $19,000 while the lower mile Ford brought $9,000. That will tell you what you need to know.

  25. #25maddog2016-01-15 07:27

    Thanks again folks I think yall might have saved me a major headache. I have a duramax to go look at, I believe it's an 04 2500 model.

  26. #26simonsrplant2016-01-15 12:18

    After all the bad rep I was very against the idea of one, however for money restrictions at the time, a basic F550 with service body was all I could afford. I was pushed into it! Before I took the plunge I did some homework and constructive guesswork. Its growing on me... 2003 6.0 6 speed. its fairly good on fuel, pulls well and to date, has not let me down. It has 200k km and was always serviced/repaired at ford (ex finning cat) I use 0w40, archoil, and genuine ford or international parts if I need them, which makes it kind of pricey to maintain. Still cheaper than the payments on a newer truck. As soon as summer comes round I will be deleting the EGR cooler, which is said to be the stem of all the troubles. Whilst I'm in there I will consider a new oil cooler, cant afford the bulletproof kit just yet. If anyone has a spare late 5.9 24v they would like to donate in the interests of going to and from work please pm me!!!

  27. #27ship 6602016-01-15 20:27

    I have owned 20 of the 6.0 diesels from 03-07. Yes they have their issues the same as any other diesel truck out there. I do put studs, gaskets, oil coolers and egr delete kits on them. That does make them more dependable but not bulletproof. They will still have injector issues and high pressure pump problems. I do like the fact that people say run away from them that helps me buy them cheap! I have owned all the major brands and can't say I prefer any one over the other.