Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 isx 400 timing and metering actuators

Rajin Canajin · 2026-04-09 21:21

Had an engine fire and had to buy an engine harness. Replaced actuators and now it blows black smoke. Shuts itself off after a few seconds. The harness has a plug to go to a sensor on the side of the block beside the air compressor. Can’t figure out what it’s for. But the plug doesn’t match the sensor. Cummins says they no longer service or use that sensor. I don’t even know what it’s for. I guess what I’m wondering is if anyone has a wiring diagram for a serial number 14038403. I’m not working on this engine so I don’t know all the numbers, I see cm870 cm871. What does that refer to? I think ecm? Educate me. That picture I posted, that round sensor is what he can’t figure out what it is I said try running wires to it and now it runs black smoke but doesn’t shut off, any ideas? Thanks fellas.

Replies3
  1. #1Coaldust2026-04-10 01:19

    That unplugged sensor is the engine oil temp sensor. The new sensor in the picture is the baro sensor.

  2. #2Rajin Canajin2026-04-10 09:00

    Ok thanks. So what would cause my black smoke then? Put new Chinese timing actuators on it and used metering actuators. Is there a way to test them?

  3. #3Coaldust2026-04-10 12:09

    It’s going to be difficult to guess. You’ll need to plug insite in and take a look.