Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Detroit DD8 engine

CM1995 ยท 2026-04-13 20:13

Kicking around the idea of getting back into the roll off business on the smaller side at first. I've been in the roll-off business before where a partner and I started with 10-15 yard cans and progressed into 30's and 40's. Sold the company in the late 2000's. Anyway curious about the Detroit DD8 engine in a Freightliner M2 Business class with an Allison auto behind it. Going to stay at 26K GVW for CDL purposes for 10-15 yard cans at this time. So any likes, gripes or info on this little Detroit?

Replies4
  1. #1Truck Shop2026-04-13 22:42

    It's not a new engine or design, IIRC it's been around since 2013/14. When looking at it, resembles the larger 13,15,16. City/County here has some, I haven't heard any bad news about them. I do know for there size, put out some low end power.

  2. #2cfherrman2026-04-13 23:42

    The auto is nice but with a cheap truck id probably take a cheaper transmission

  3. #3CM19952026-04-14 09:01

    The trucks I'm looking at are spec'd with 6.7 Cummins (to small IMO), L9 Cummins and the DD8.

  4. #4cuttin edge2026-04-14 10:44

    Our little Freightshaker with the Detroit and Allison is working out so far. Not sure of miles or hours but im thinking this will be the 3rd summer for it