We were using it today and it was operating fine. Then it would only move backwards. Cranks and runs. Cannot get it to do an emergency lower from the ground using the control panel. Followed a youtube video to try and lower it from the basket and that did not work either. Does any one have any suggestions as to what and how to test this machine or make it manually lower from the ground? Like I said, the chassis will not turn, the arm will not raise or lower, cannot move the basket in any way.
Welcome to the forums! Did you move to a position where the machine is out of level?
No, I do not believe we did that. It was moving and quit rotating, it won't extend out, it won't go up or down and it won't steer.
Correction: it will go forward and backwards, but it will not turn.
I don't know how experienced you are with these machines so I'll cover the basics. I rent JLG machines several times a year and have learned some of quirks first hand. If you are operating and the machine goes out of level it will shut the controls down. I've only been in the basket when this happens and the solution is to collapse all of the cylinders to full park position. The only adjustment you can have elevated is the basket extension, then you can move the machine to level. From the panel located on the engine housing the rocker switch that starts the engine also swings in the down position, you must simultaneously hold this rocker down while you select the boom function you wish to activate. It takes both hands to accomplish this. Make sure you have the key switch turned to the proper control panel. Just remembered another quirk, at the basket control panel there's a crash bar in front of the panel. If you lean against it and dislodge it it will shut the panel down. You have to reposition the crash bar so the pressure switches at each end are depressed which will reactivate the panel.
He's used some before. We've only had this one a few months. It's different than the other ones he used. I'll show this to him. I don't think this old model has a crash bar, it's old. I'll look at the manuals I downloaded and see. We are kinda wondering if it's the foot pedal. It acted wonky one other time. So we are thinkin' that something has shorted there. He said when he moves it backwards and forwards, the motor rev's up/picks up like it's suppose to. Just can't steer, move boom or basket, extend or rotate chassis in any way.