Posted on here before about wearing glasses, and working with grade. I began wearing glasses the year before last. Making it all this time with none, but my arms just got too short to read the paper. Dropped tri focals on me right off the hop. " Don't throw them in the drawer, wear them." I am in my second year, and I wear them all the time now. I can take the off, but can't see gauges in the machine. I actually am due for an eye exam this summer, and will probably have to go a little stronger. This will be my first season wearing them while grading, and so far I find it difficult. I did a grading job Friday that should have taken the day at most. Drs home, new driveway, attached garage at 90 degrees to the house. Tight corner, so a lot of bucket work until I can use the mold board. I did what my eyes told me was a good job, but when I checked with the straight edge and smart level, not so. Even my truck driver was questioning the job. Why we pulled out the level. I don't know if it's my glasses, or just rusty from a long winter. I mostly grade with my ass, but odd shaped spots are more visual. Going to lose the glasses Monday when I adjust the grade, and see if it helps.
I got to the point of using prescription sun glasses all the time, especially around the laser levels, and bright sun. Had to have glasses since age 16 or so.
I don't even own a pair of sunglasses, but I'm utterly dependent on a ballcap when I'm out in the sun. My eye for grade was never that good to begin with, so glasses didn't really change much in that respect. A couple of pairs ago though, the optician talked me into "transitions" lenses; the ones that automatically get darker in the sunshine. NEVER AGAIN. On a sunny day I couldn't find the dipstick in the shade under the hood of a machine, much less see the tube to put it back in. Worse yet, in the deep shade of a trench, I couldn't see the bottom, or whatever else down there that I was trying to avoid breaking.
My brother is 64. When I complained about having to wear glasses for the first time at 49. all he said was "Boohoo, I've been wearing glasses since I was 7."
I don't do sunglasses. I find they give me a headache. When I was in my 30s, A beautiful young girl at a sunglasses hut talked me into an $800 pair of Maui Jims. Expensive yes, but I still have them. I always wore a ballcap for the sun. Since I discovered the only way to remember to wear my hard hat, was to never take it off. They guys always ask me if I wear it to bed, but I always say that's stupid. I put it on the night stand till I have to get up to pee. I pretty much gave up the ball cap except for the weekends.
I don't wear prescription glasses, but I can't wear sunglasses (or safety glasses) when grading. Messes up my depth perception. I don't like looking through glass. Even newer cars with more curve to the windshield than I'm used to will play tricks with my eyes
I've been wearing reading glasses since high school and have been wearing progressive lens for over 20 years. They took some getting used to, but I see better than just about everyone I know. I was going to make a joke about being better looking, but decided to let it go.
Transition lenses are usually not too bad but going from bright sun in to a building or even the shade can take a couple minutes for them to lighten. You can be a little blind sometimes. You don't realize how dark they get.
Worn glasses since 11y.o., just had second cataract surgery where no longer required but could stand a minor correction as it all comes together healing. Wear sunglasses most any time outside or Polycarbonate Safety glasses working on anything inside. Damned near lost one eye, not going there again.
You look at the gauges in the machine?
I hear you! I started wearing glasses at 52. Mechanic work is much harder with glasses especially outside in the sun. I went with progressive lenses and they work better than bifocals but it’s still hard to get your head in the right spot to see. I have been told I should get transition lenses but every time I see a guy that has them I wonder how he can see with them so dark.
I'll be due for cataract surgery in the next couple of years. Doc said I was on the younger end of having them and was probably due to being out in the sun without sunglasses all those years as a kid. Wore glasses from age 15 to 26 when I had lasik surgery which was one of the best procedures I have ever had. I couldn't see far off and it gave me 20/15 vision. Vision has slipped over the years and I need readers for close up. A friend of mine just had cataract surgery and he got one lens to see far and one lens to see close. He likes it but I've heard it can mess with your depth perception so I think I'll keep the readers.
Close up or far vision? Since most of my life I had super close up, not so much super now, given a choice I'd take close up and for far glasses. Everything I do is close up stuff. This guy is pretty good to listen to.
I’ve been wearing contacts for about 23 years. glasses for 10 years before that. I found that after getting contacts my eyes got real sensitive to the sun so I wear sunglasses most of the time. i buy the safety glasses that are tinted by the box. If it’s dark on whatever I’m working on I put them on my hat and then try to cram my head into a tight space and scratch the s*** out of them. I keep a nice pair of costa’s for fishing trips.
Not really, but sometimes I have to fine grade with the bucket, and the level reading is on the dash, also, the one joystick controls the moldboard and the bucket, so I need to see what mode I'm in.
My father hated trifocals as a mechanic. Bad enough to try and see looking down, but even worse looking up.
This guy posts a lot of medical stuff, and the funny thing is that he is a chiropractor
Costa has a great repair program. Have you used it? I've basically gotten a new pair for $75-80 (whatever the max was) on several pairs of sun glasses. I've got two pairs - 1 to wear everyday and 1 that was "rebuilt" by Costa. When I break, destroy, sit on or scratch the **** out of the current pair, send them to Costa and bring out spare new pair. Been doing that for years. I think both pairs are on their 2nd "rebuild".
I'm due for an exam this summer. I went with the middle of the road lenses last time as far as the progressive lens field of view goes, maybe I need to upgrade this time. Most of the time they are so dirty it's hard to see. My brother said not to use tissues to clean them as most kleenex has some type of moisturizer on it now.
Oakley used to be like that way. Not sure if they still are. I had a pair when they were all the rage. I saw an advert the other day for a Timex Ironman watch retro remake. Have not worn a watch in years, but I did have one of these in school. I think it was 40 bucks at the time. I think they want 170 now, and the sad part is that I am considering it.
I go to a chiropractor for my CDL med card.
Had cataract surgery on both eyes in the last 6 weeks. Don't need glasses to drive with any more but I will need some readers.
Have worn glasses since 16, started with Photo Grays in 1973. Have always had them, never had a issue. But something strange in the last 4 months. After taking a blood thinner for that time {Eliquis} I noticed my vision was better with glasses removed. I had to have a eye exam, that was two weeks ago, same ophthalmologist that diagnosed the problem with artery. He verified my vision had improved at distance and the same at short. Enough so I almost don't need them anymore, he was stumped had no answer.
$170!?!? Those were $45 watches a few years ago. Just looked at Walmarts website and the Ironmans there are $55-60.
I actually still have the watch. No strap, and completely worn out. It's just a nostalgia thing. Walmart does have Ironman watches, but they are the newer models. The universe has made the decision for me, because a bunch of people were foolish enough to buy them, and they are sold out.
I knew a guy that wore glasses for a few years as a kid and his vision improved to where he no longer needed glasses. It's not common but some peoples vision improves. I tried contacts but hated them. If you were tired and fell asleep it wasn't good to leave the contacts in. Some people like them though. I think some people think wearing glasses makes them not as smart or something. Just like as kids people feel bad if they have to get glasses. I'd liked the ad for Spy sunglasses, Windows for your head.
Try the contacts you leave in for 30 days, very epic.
Then try Dr Berry MD on the tube. He says essentially the same stuff the Berg guy does.
They didn't have the 30 day contacts at the time otherwise they might have been more appealing. There was also conflicting stories regarding contacts and welding. One of them was that contacts can fuse to your eyeballs. I wish I would have liked contacts better as I don't really like wearing glasses but need to be able to see properly. I like my current glasses though.
Not saying I don't believe him. I watch a lot of his nutrition videos, Dr Berry as well.
I’m not sure what style of glass you have, but I’ve had glasses all my life and for all but one of my pair have had flat lenses that are more square and they don’t obscure the peripheral vision as much as the rounded ones did. Even walking around you could tell the edge of the glasses gave a different picture then the centre.
According to both them I should never eat anything I like ever again.
My lobourer was away this morning having a little medical procedure done. We were on a driveway, and I had dug out the walkway with the bucket on my grader, and the truck was gone for another load of gravel, so while waiting, I raked out the narrow part of the walk myself. Later on, my labourer came back. At noon, while we were eating lunch, he said he better not take anymore time off. Fernand (the truck driver) did a terrible job raking out the walk. I didn't bother telling him it was me. That eye appointment can't come fast enough. I have some road fine grading coming up in July
You really have to pick apart anything on youtube. I find a lot of youtubers push their opinions as much as facts. I joined the gym at Christmas. Been watching videos constantly about exercise and nutrition. So many different angles on what is bad, and what is good. Been going steady, but since the full time construction season has started, it's getting harder. Things were going great, but I have been running out of gas. Tried doing after work, but they gym is so busy, but I would have to get up at 3 every morning in order to workout before going to work. I love the mornings, best part of the day, but getting up at 430 makes me tired at 9 as I type this. Once the road work starts, it will be a 530 to 8, 5 days a week, then weekend grading for the peatmoss plants.
One good thing about being a heavy equipment mechanic is, you never need to go to a gym.
True. My father was pretty able right up till the day he died.
I use contact lenses almost all the time. I get good peripheral vision with them & they don't change focus depending on center of lens or off center. I find bedtime I take them out, put on glasses, I hate them. If I then go downstairs the all over the place of glasses is very noticeable. Doctor explained glass lenses can be better shaped to give good focus throughout the entire surface of the lens, plastic doesn't have the same optical properties. In my case the glass lenses would be very heavy. No doubt you can get used to them, but I believe glasses are a challenge. Though the best dozer grader I know has glasses & blind in one eye.
I don’t know if I agree with that. My upper body strength is good even though I’ve had some back trouble, my shoulders hurt regularly, and tennis elbow. My legs are fairly strong but my problem is my mid section. I spend plenty of time riding in the truck and I often work odd hours which either forces me to eat fast food on the road or I get home late and shovel leftovers in me and then hit the sack. Oh, and my wife is an excellent cook. And I enjoy an adult beverage now and again.
Metabolism. Metabolism: What It Is, How It Works and Disorders Metabolism is the process of changing foods into energy to fuel body functions. Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the minimum calories your body needs. my.clevelandclinic.org
My doctor assures me a diet of 1000 calories a day of steamed broccoli is the recipe for perfect health. I think I'd rather die earlier.
I got my cataracts fixed about 18 months ago. I got the multifocal so i dont have to wear glasses but i wear safety or sun glasses a lot. I wouldnt get the 2 different lenses . The lens i got are about twice as high but no glasses . I have great eye sight all most every day i am amazed at how good i can see now. I am not rich it cost 2 times more for the lens i got than what i gave for my house but i got the best and i dont regret it .