Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 New Holland LB75B – Backhoe transit lock problem

HDPSCORP · 2026-06-05 20:01

I just got this backhoe and found out that the the boom transit lock apparently is frozen. I have disconnected the release lever cable, the big lock plate just don't want to swing, what I am doing wrong, or not doing?

Replies22
  1. #1Deere500a2026-06-05 20:20

    Guess-past on hoe it stays up for full boom travel & you manually drop the lock not in use.

  2. #2HDPSCORP2026-06-05 20:25

    That's the problem, the lock is not swinging or moving down, it moves a few millimeters up and down but not coming down, not even with a hammer

  3. #3Deere500a2026-06-05 20:51

    Boom out see if it moves with the boom cylinder & boom down it'd give more room to tap on it

  4. #4HDPSCORP2026-06-05 21:58

    I am not sure if it has an internal interlock in the axle, but the whole plate should be free to come down and I have no idead why it is not moving. I will try extend tomorrow. thanks for replying!

  5. #5Welder Dave2026-06-06 01:23

    Could it be missing something? Looking at the pic. there is ball (black) that looks like some kind of linkage goes to it. Wondering if the curved plate it's attached to has to move back to let the boom lock fall to latch? Perhaps the pin you have holding the boom straight needs to be removed so the curved piece with the ball can move back or swivel out of the way? I can't see how the boom lock could fall with the ends of the curved piece on top of it. Maybe the pin you have holding the boom straight can also prevent the boom Iock moving upwards? I can't tell if the boom lock is welded to the curved piece though. That's a pretty tight curve on the hose in the pic. Might want to change that.

  6. #6HDPSCORP2026-06-06 03:57

    The black ball is engaged to the linkage, I disconnected if from the locking plate to see if the plate would move freely IF the problem was the linkage. The red retaining post pin, I tried with it and without it and got same results. Something is preventing the locking plate to swing down so the hooks can lock the boom. I got a long pry bar and it just moves a few millimeters, and that's it. I am waiting in a Manual but I doubt will be any helpful for this problem. Thanks for the hose tip, will loose it up a little and swing the hose a bit.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2026-06-06 08:13

    I think it may just be frozen up. the ball and socket connect to the boom lock cable, to the lever inside the cab. Being that it was a repaint, some paint may have found someplace it shouldn’t be. Unless someone did something really crazy like welding something, which it doesn’t look like, that plate should just tilt up and down. I would stretch the boom out all the way and play with it. To my knowledge, there has never been some type of lever safety lock but might want to check. Maybe hook the linkage back up and check the button disconnect?

  8. #8HDPSCORP2026-06-06 16:35

    No, no luck, the locking plate will not move in any boom position. I have disengaged the inside cab lever, the locking plate should be free. I already beat it up with a hammer, air chisel in between to see if was the paint, it moves just a few milliliters. I just have the lever, button disconnect?

  9. #9Deere500a2026-06-06 16:53

    Boom in a relaxed position no pressure on boom cylinder pull the snap ring off push/hit the pin out & back,if pop out add grease before reinstall

  10. #10HDPSCORP2026-06-06 17:41

    If this is the pin you are talking about, I can move the locking plate with the hooks a few milimiters, looks like it is free in this pin

  11. #11HDPSCORP2026-06-06 17:44

    I am thinking that this top/pin maybe too close to the locking plate preventing it to swing, try to remove that bolt but it is really hard, I am afraid to break the bolt in place

  12. #12Deere500a2026-06-06 17:49

    No sir the bolt is the swing pin retainer

  13. #13Deere500a2026-06-06 17:58

    If it got bent it's that pin it pivots on

  14. #14HDPSCORP2026-06-06 19:30

    #2?

  15. #15Deere500a2026-06-06 20:01

    Pin 2 should move free it's gravity & cable

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-06-06 22:02

    What does the cap looking thing (#7) on the left that bolts on to the locking plate do? Is it preventing the boom lock from pivoting down?

  17. #17HDPSCORP2026-06-06 22:28

    it is a spring loaded inside, actually to force bring the locking plate downward

  18. #18Welder Dave2026-06-06 23:16

    Is it stuck or seized? I'd remove it and see if the locking plate moves. I can't see the large pivot pin seizing up so bad that hitting it with a hammer won't move it.

  19. #19HDPSCORP2026-06-06 23:26

    Agree, it appears that it is free from the pivot pin with a small movement. Not only hitting with a hammer, got an air chisel in between and nothing, it simply does not making any sense, I can only see one possibility, the top pin bracket is very close to the inner of locking plate, it may preventing it from swinging. That top bolt is really hard, I am afraid that I may shear it off trying to remove it. The guy I purchased it said he never used the transit lock...I may just leave it alone.

  20. #20Welder Dave2026-06-07 00:28

    Hit the bolt with a hammer and heat it up if necessary. I'd remove the #7 assembly first.

  21. #21HarleyHappy2026-06-07 10:02

    It has to move. Get a BFH, or somehow use its own hydraulics to pull down on it or up on the base. I agree with Dave, take #7 right out of the equation.

  22. #22stephenrobinson987412026-06-07 12:54

    If the cable is disconnected and the lock plate still won't move, it's probably seized on the pivot from rust or old grease. Try taking the pressure off the boom by moving it slightly, then soak the pivot area with penetrating oil and work the lock back and forth. Sometimes they're under a bit of load and won't release until the boom position is just right.