Hello guys, I'm stumped and could use some help. My John Deere 310SG problem started as a fuel shortage, it was starving, would run and die. So we, replaced the: fuel filter, fuel lift pump, and checked there was no secondary filter. Still didn't work so we replaced the fuel injector. Now what's happening is that the runs fine when cold but as soon as it warms up it starts starving again. You can run the machine for about an hour then it slowly gets worse and worse until finally stops completely. I replaced the fuel filter and it helped so I'm going to do that again and see if that makes a difference. I've blown out the lines with the air compressor and checked inside the tank for blockages but I can't seem to find any. When I press the little handle on the life the fuel pumps out just fine. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Brian
Last thing left is pull the the fuel sending unit out of tank check the pickup tube for hair line crack & or strainer plus give chance to see bottom of the tank for trash. Good luck
@briach01 , You have a machine serial # ? Would help us find what fuel injection system you have , possibly electronic with an ECU. . Screenshot below showing fuel strainer that @Deere500a is talking about.
It's a T0310SG961276. I think I'll replace that rubber line that comes from the tank just to be safe, maybe like you said it leaks or is getting compressed. I'll check the strainer again. I just don't understand how it can run fine for an hour or so and then die. If it's clogged it shouldn't run. Anyway thank you. keep the ideas coming...
So it’s got a Stanadyne DE10 ECU controlled fuel injection pump. Any engine service codes active or stored ?
Correct, I just replaced this pump last week. There are no engine service codes.
When the engine quits , how do you get it to re-fire ? do you do anything or just wait ?
The engine slowly starves to death, takes around an hour of work then slowly chugs along until finally completely starving for fuel. Then yes, I just wait. I haven't tested that much, I've been just testing the next day.
Once I wait the engine starts right up again.
Did you replace the rubber seal grommet on the fuel supply hose at the transfer pump ? I wonder if the ECU is failing when it gets hot. Maybe strap a small freezer pack to it, see if it will run longer than an hour.
Yes, replaced the rubber seal grommet with a new one. I'll try the ice pack and see if that does anything.
Could also be a plugged vent in the fuel tank cap.
Before changing more parts, check the fuel cap vent — a plugged vent pulls a vacuum on the tank and causes exactly this gradual starvation. Quick test: when it's about to die, crack the cap open. If it recovers immediately, that's your problem.
Seen this problem caused by plugged vent in fuel cap many times.