Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Bobcat 331D Coolant change…

xkvator ยท 2019-08-15 13:07

I drained the coolant...petcock on radiator...valve below injector pump...and took off heater hoses, and pulled them down below engine...got out 10 qts. put in distilled water a couple times, ran till warmed up, let cool down, and drained...still about 10 qts. manual sez capacity is 4 gal = 16 qts i'm worried if I put in 10 to 11 qts of Bobcat PG pre-mix, that it may dilute with the 6 quarts of water that's not draining...and wont be the -37* it sez on the jug. thinking of mixing some concentrate in, but I know too much PG isn't good either... I told my wife to order me one of those refractor testers for PG, on Amazon. any thoughts or ideas???

Replies2
  1. #1Yorky2019-11-20 21:32

    Did the same today with same result, would like to know what yo u found. Thanks

  2. #2Delmer2019-11-20 23:37

    Thank you both for caring. yes, your coolant will be diluted by the remaining water. The old way to do it in the days of concentrate was to add half/two gallons of concentrate, then fill the rest with water. That's why the capacity was important. If you can get a gallon of concentrate to add first, then two gallons of premix, you should be fine.