Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 cat 216b auxiliary Hydraulic not working

Novascotian · 2021-05-20 20:55

Hello, new to the forum and came out of Pure frustration. I recently bought a 2004 Cat 216b to use on my property. Mostly for grapple work. First thing i bought for it was a simple grapple. Serial # CAT0216BERLL00653 mine is a simple machine with none of the bells & whistles. No computer nothing. Unfortunately i plugged my grapple into the lines and nothing is working. I have joysticks with push button controls. I noticed that the book did not come with my machine and I have tried downloading several but they all seem to be for other models (216B3 ?) I have done the usual poking around and changed all fuses with no luck. I was told to check relays as some companies disconnect them to avoid operators playing with them. But I have no clue where they are. Looking in the rear of the machine i see 6-7 relays on the left wall but no labels or diagrams to know which to play with. I cannot afford stealership prices and am afraid to fry my electrical by playing with the wrong thing. Anyone at all with info or maybe a fuse diagram would be hugely appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2021-05-21 10:44

    First off, your machine is nowhere near as simple as you think. All Cat skid-steers are electronically controlled, it's their main selling point. So it will have at least two electronic control modules hidden away under the panelling in the front of the machine. Regarding the manual you mentioned, an Operation & Maintenance manual can be downloaded from the Cat Publications web site in pdf format for around $50. The correct one for your machine Serial Number RLL00653 is publication reference SEBU7731. It may give you some insight into how the Auxiliary Hydraulic function is energized. I'll send you a copy of the correct electrical schematic.

  2. #2Chrisso2021-05-21 20:26

    Silly question, but have you tried pressing the Hydraulic Lockout button? Top right, second switch location from the rear. SIS has some conflicting information about what this switch actually controls. The OMM for your machine states it disables the "machine hydraulics". For me this means lift/tilt AND auxiliary functions. In the SIS troubleshooting guides (RENR6418), the "Switch (Hydraulic Lockout)" will "disable the auxiliary hydraulic circuit". For me this just means the auxiliary functions. Nige and others might know more but it could be worth hitting the switch first, if you haven't already. Report back once you've checked the basics (fuses/relays). From memory when you lift the cab, the A1 and A2 solenoids that control the auxiliary functions should be fairly easy to access (front right of the machine, front left when looking in with the cab raised). I've seen these wires chewed out by rodents before.

  3. #3Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-05 19:13

    I recently added an angle blade, that I saw working prior to purchasing, and cannot get any hydraulic flow on my 216B, 0216BERLL00474. I purchased the OMM and tried the sequence suggested in there and also tried the Hydraulic Lockout switch as suggested above by Chrisso. It’s darn near 20 below C and I would like to try everything I can before lifting the cab and working on blind troubleshooting. Any suggestions for where to start?