Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 CAT 305CR overheating under load

justingiffi ยท 2011-08-25 22:02

Hey guys, I have a cat 305cr that I bought used and has about 1800hrs on it and when I am running it under load for a few hours (digging stumps, carrying 500lbs and crawling slowly for about 15-30min) and it will begin to overheat. I live in NY and the temps have been in the 80's and when I bought the machine this past year I put all new filters and lubricants in because I wasn't sure what the previous owner used. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to look for. Thanks in advance

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2011-08-26 02:13

    I would check the radiator and see if it is plugged. Check fanbelt tension, thermastat, replace antifreeze with proper ratio of water to antifreeze would be a cheap start to trouble shooting the problem.

  2. #2xcmark2011-08-26 16:50

    dust in the raidiator is most likely your problem , Ksss has hit on about all the common issues . you may want to check for pressure in the cooling system as soon as it starts(cold) , this can give you a clue that maybe the head gasket is gone.

  3. #3Ga_Boy2011-09-02 18:47

    I have a 302.5 that was over heating in constant hard work. The oil cooler was blocking me from cleaning the radiator completely. I removed the radiator and cleaned it thoughly and now the gauge never gets past the middle.