Cat 322cl 2004 - sn hek00405 - 3126b engine - 13,900hrs I am now a first time owner of a big old machine. I have never owned big equipment but do own a Kubota skid steer. I was wondering If I could ask a few questions. The machine has some issues and I need to fix them before I put it to work. Everything is in working condition except the air conditioner. 1. The engine is smoking and injector 4 is failed according to the cat computer. The videos look pretty easy to replace. Any advise? Any specific part number? Recalibration? 2. The engine oil hose that goes to the remote oil filter is leaking bad. Can I take the hose to a random hose shop? 3. There is definitely some leaking hydraulic fluid dripping down the turntable. Travel is weak so suspecting the swivel seals for the final drives are bad. Hard job or easy job? 4. I would love to run a hammer on this. Mechanic says I cant. It has a thumb with huge hydraulic hoses from the manifold. Why couldn’t I run a hammer on it?
Anybody?
What fault code does it have for the injector? The engine oil hoses can be sourced at a hose shop no problem, needs to be rated for high temperature as these run hotter than hydraulic systems generally do Have you taken the plate off under the machine and had a look at the center joint? Not too hard to reseal on larger machines, zero swings is where it gets tricky. If I'm looking at SIS properly I don't see this machine as being shipped with auxiliary hydraulics. Hammers want to be run one way flow with a unrestricted return to the cooler/tank. Any pictures of the setup?
!. Injector. See attached. I'm not sure if these injectors have Trim Codes. Maybe someone else could comment. 2. A hose shop should be able to manufacture a replacement. 3. Centre swivel. See attached. 4. A thumb would mean 2-way AUX hydraulics. For a hammer you would require 1-way hydraulics. That might mean some piping/valve changes but I am not sure exactly what they would be.
Thank you so much for the help. Im ready to get started. 1. My engine is a 3126b model 5GG04051. The diagrams for the injector is telling me that I need part #178-0199. It seems that there is an updated part #10r-9237. Do you think this is ok? The code that it is throwing is 164-11 The mechanic was shutting down each injector on the computer one at a time. When he got to #4 there was not much difference in rpm so he said #4 is bad. May be a dumb question but which one is #4 injector? 2. If I take off both engine oil hoses going to the remote engine oil filter, will the engine lose all of its oil? Trying to prepare for getting them to a shop. They look hard to get to on the engine side. 3. I have not taken any of the bottom plates off yet. But I think this is the culprit for the hydraulic fluid leak. The swivel for the final drive hoses. There is a youtube video That shows the job here. 4. I dont know how to tell about 1 way hydraulics. I will take off the top plates and get a picture. Just got the machine delivered today. Thanks guys.
#1 cylinder is at the radiator end of the engine. Not 100% correct I'm afraid. 179-0199 is an injector assembly complete with all the seals. 10R0782 is a single Reman injector with seals. Reman means that they want your old injector back as a core for the one you buy. Service exchange if you like. 10R9237 is a SET of six 10R0782 injectors, plus the injector hold down bolts plus a fuel filter.
This code does NOT relate to an injector or even to multiple injectors. It relates to the Injection Actuation Pressure (IAP) Control Valve on the HEUI pump. I would not suggest attempting changing an injector until the attached test has been completed. Be warned there is a fair bit of work involved and it needs ET. TBH I reckon you might have a far larger problem than a single injector. While on the subject of the HEUI engine in your machine do not cheap out on quality engine oil and filters. Use Cat filters for both engine oil and fuel if you are not confident of local alternatives. You don't have to use Cat-branded engine oil but stick with something from a major oil company. My 2c. YMMV.
1. Ok. Looks like a couple things could cause this problem with the 164-11 code. A. Thinned out engine oil (with diesel) B. Bad pressure sensor (what part#??) C. Bad IAPCV (what part#??) D. ?? I am going to do an engine oil change first. Who knows the last time it was changed. I bought cat engine oil filter 1R-1807 with 9 gallons of Mobil Delvac 15w-40 “1300 super” It may be cheap enough ($40) to just change the pressure sensor and IPR on Ebay…… Thanks Nige!
That's probably not a bad idea for a start. Just make sure to use good-quality oil and filters. I assume you had someone with ET working on the machine. Any chance that you can get them to pull an ET Product Status Report (PSR).? It would be a great help with diagnostics. Once the PSR has been downloaded all the Codes could be erased and then when you run the machine you could see what comes back. Link HERE showing how to do it. Just make sure to select the Adobe pdf download option (it's mentioned in the video)
Do you like the oil selection?
It'll work.
I take it you’ve never owned a Cat machine before.? A pressure sensor could easily come in at a couple of hundred $, the IAP Control Valve could well be double that…. I wouldn’t recommend using any will-fit parts in a HEUI system. There are too many very expensive parts that could get screwed. Last I recall the HP injection pump was around $4k (even aftermarket they are $2500+) and a set of injectors were priced similar.
As for your oil filter hose question, see this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
Great information. I will try to get these hoses in high temp. Will a random shop have high temp hoses?
Do you have part numbers for the IAP and oil pressure sensor? For the HEUI system?
When I ordered them for my 320D & 320E, they came in blue. Be sure to get the blue Orings, and the Orings (still black) under the filter head (behind the 5 m8 bolts).
Did it take you 9 hours to replace your hose?
Not the 2nd or 3rd or 4th machine. 328D had fittings on boom side of engine. 320 had them on counterweight side.
3. Swivel leakage will all be under the X frame, and only visible from underneath.
3126 all of the hydraulic oil is currently sitting on top of the x frame as it drips.
If it's on top, it ain't the rotary joint.
IAP sensor is 2366220 IAP solenoid is 1225053 But as has been noted upthread, these components will affect all injectors equally.
Your hose part numbers as per the book are 2021343 and 1241870. They are made with 716 hose which is standard one wire. The couplings however, are compatible with 4901 hose so if you chose to go this route then it is a viable option. The cost from your Cat dealer may surprise you compared to a local hose shop.
I'm 99% sure there is no trim codes, looking at a PSR from another C with a 5GG engine and no mention of any files or codes, it's been a while since I've touched one though
Update: Getting it all cleaned up. Tons of dirt inside the machine. Drained the fuel water separator. It was 90% full of water. Thats not good. Ordered all new cat filters. Waiting for them in the mail before I mess around with anything else. Then change oil. Then continue diagnosing… I wish I could install a 10” tall clear bowl fuel filter in there…
Rather than doing that try making sure the fuel you put in the tank is clean. Works a treat.........
I have never put fuel in it. I just bought it.
I was referring to the future, not the past. It’s also worthwhile mentioning that an inspection of the fuel/water separator and draining any accumulated water is part of the daily pre-start checklist. By the sound of it preventive maintenance was not high on the previous owner’s priority list.