Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 jcb backhoe boom lift problem

cold steel027 · 2024-07-30 15:57

Posting again. I have a 2004 jcb 214 let me start by sharing my experience level is low with mechanical knowledge of heavy equipment of any kind. I was using machine and blew a hydraulic line, The machine sat for about 6 months (I only use this personally on my property). The line that busted was one that went up to the right stick, I had bought 7 hoses and was just going to replace all of them with higher psi hoses. It is very difficult to get them off where they attach under the machine, so I only replaced 2 of them. I'm saying this because I removed them all from the stick I marked them but I dint know if unhooking them will matter at all for info with this problem. After I hooked them back up, started the machine everything worked on the left stick as far as boom swing and the dip arm up and down. The right stick the bucket would curl and uncurl but the boom wouldn't move up and down at all. I talked to somebody and released one of the fittings on the hydraulic cylinder that works the Boom to bleed it when I tighten back up restart the machine everything still worked as before and the boom would move up but it would not move down. I have tried loosening the other line that's on the cylinder to no avail I don't even see fluid coming out of that line at all when i loosened it and I don't show any leaks anywhere else. I am at a standstill as far as what to do and hoping somebody could offer some helpful information thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-07-31 08:41

    maybe you got some lines crossed

  2. #2HarleyHappy2024-07-31 10:45

    Sounds like the spool for the boom is having issues. Possible air or some debris. I actually would keep playing with it and make sure the rod for the spool on the right stick is actually moving the spool valve. I would try moving it by hand underneath, if you can get to it. While I know you can’t get the line off, it wo be good if you could to very hydraulic fluid is trying to get there.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-07-31 10:47

    Just reread, is the boom up in the air? If so, don’t go disconnecting any lines, while up in air.

  4. #4cold steel0272024-08-01 14:19

    Thank you for your reply, the bucket is resting on the ground right now so the boom is in the lowered position. I did loosen the line and there was fluid at the top of the line. I have loosened the both lines connected at the bottom of the boom cylinder and started the machine both connections had fluid that came out

  5. #5cold steel0272024-08-01 14:21

    Should I Crack open the line at the spool and start the machine also to see if there is any air there to release?

  6. #6HarleyHappy2024-08-01 14:48

    You could try that but for quite a few lucky people on here just playing with it usually works. You will not get air out unless you are moving the spool back and forth. I can’t recall the last time I had to bleed any hydraulic cylinder, usually the air just returns to the tank. I would verify the rods for the spool are working for up and down and if I could, I would find the closest connection at or near the valve bank for the return line line for boom up. Think of the spool as a see saw for hydraulic fluid to go back and forth or up and down. Just be damn careful with heavy stuff moving and 2700 psi hydraulic fluid spraying. When I do seals or hoses, whatever cylinder I am working with, I just gently move it back and forth extending and retracting a little at a time.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2024-08-01 14:53

    When you removed all the hoses did you take any precautions to keep weather or debris out of either the valve bank or the hoses and how long were they disconnected? My memory sucks, I take plenty of pics with my phone and have a thousand different colored zip ties that get used on both ends.

  8. #8cold steel0272024-08-02 06:17

    I will take some pics and post with my reply later today.