Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 John Deere 320 won’t start without ether

Ryan597 · 2023-11-24 15:42

even if I run it for an hour, if I shut it off it won’t start without ether. I’m assuming this would be a high pressure issue but I’m not a mechanic. Any insight?

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-11-24 16:37

    a compression test would tell u which direction to go.. Could be low compression.. Could be low or no feed/supply pump pressure to inj pump. Could be a bad H&R in inj pump, depending on mdl. Good luck.

  2. #2mg23612023-11-25 06:42

    Welcome to HEF Ryan ! Were the fuel filters replaced? Dumped into a clean container to see what comes out? Has the fuel tank vent been checked? If all of the above is OK, then check the fuel pressure. When the unit is shut off, does the fuel pressure drop to zero immediately or does it hold 3-4 psi for 10-15 minutes? Does it drop to a vacuum when running?

  3. #3Ryan5972023-11-25 16:40

    What would be the best way to check fuel pressure? I have a pressure tester that utilizes a tee to put inline. The tee is a smaller diameter than the fuel line though. Is there a threaded spot somewhere I can put a gauge?

  4. #4thepumpguysc2023-11-26 00:20

    Any way to tap into the filter head.?

  5. #5mg23612023-11-26 06:05

    Inspect those filters first. Tee in at the fuel filter. When looking at the filter, tee into the port on the right (rear of the machine). If you have to, get a 1/8" NPT brass tee and nipples (for 5/16" hose) from the big box stores, if necessary. With engine at operating temperature, check fuel pressure at idle and at full throttle for several minutes. Observe if it maintains 10+ psi pressure or not. Then when you shut it off, see if it maintains 3-4 psi for 10-15 minutes. Report back.