Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 John Deere 4.5 L Diesel Engine

clansing1 ยท 2011-10-18 22:40

I am looking at a ditch witch trench that has a John Deere 2004 4.5 L Diesel Engine. I was wondering if this is a reliable engine. I know some of the skid steer motors made during this time had some problems. Thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1nowing752011-10-19 12:12

    We have to vermeer trenchers that use that engine. We have had good luck with them,a bit hard to start in the winter but i think thats because of the drag of the pumps. Jason

  2. #2equip guy2011-10-20 21:25

    have several power tech 4.5's, and work on others. One thing to note is that some people do not run the proper antifreeze or replace at proper intervals, which cause pitting in the cylinder liners and contaminating the oil with coolant. The ph level should be monitored on regular basis, and adj accordingly. Few problems with rear seals before newer teflon one piece, and a couple of issues with injectors, but no real isssues that I've had to really address. Just good Pm's