Being ignorant as usual, installing a driveline in a tractor, wondered if it makes a difference which direction the slip yoke goes. Curious if there is a right or wrong way and what the reason is.:Banghead
All I've ever thought was to put the slip yoke on the high end, to keep it out of the dirt, and also, if you hit a stump or something, I'd rather take the impact on the tube, rather than the slip yoke.
Slip joint usually goes at the end of the shaft that's connected to whatever doesn't move. So on a truck for example the tube would go at the axle/differential end and the slip joint would be located at the transmission end.
Hey Nige, you got any idea why? I can come up w/ a couple of theories, but I can't settle on one.
and water
Sorry, no. Just the answer "that's how it's always been". Obviously keeping the slip joint out of water/dirt is a logical explanation, but I can't help but feel that's not the main reason.
That is definitely a great question as to "why" it goes the way it does. I just checked all my trades school notes and not one mention of the theory as to why. I just always remember because when I first started to learn the mechanic's trade as a young tech at a truck dealer and I was putting up a driveline, the old (30 years plus in the trade) mechanic I was working with just said "now remember drivelines run the same way as relationships - the female drives the male" Its not super catchy or funny but just one of those things that stick in your mind and I've always remembered which end goes where.
I also agree with the dirt and water thing and I think your statement possibly has the most merit. Not only does a differential move but it tries to rotate on its axis during accel/deaccel. It makes sense to have the weaker slip joint farther away from a leverage standpoint. Not saying that the shaft is supposed to limit the rotation but many rears just depend on the springs to keep them aligned and they can torque up pretty good sometimes. big ben....I like that and will always remember it too.
A bit like the one about the correct orientation for installing Crosby clamps on wire rope slings "Never Saddle a Dead Horse" ..........
"now remember drivelines run the same way as relationships - the female drives the male" Big Ben, I was taught this too but not with such polite terminology.
lol... goingbroke should remember now..... his wife definatly wears the pants...