Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Tennant sweeper w/Kubota 1505 diesel

rbeard ยท 2015-01-16 12:29

Please help Kubota experts! Wondering about setting inj. pump timing and running valves. The Kubota shop manual says timing marks are on edge of flywheel and in book has bellhousing of engine to illustrate. There's no plugs on adapter housing to pumps and the only thing I'm thinking is that if the starter is removed and Kubota put marks on the visible flywheel face and an index mark on housing it could be done. I called Tennant and they said to get a hold of Kubota - I've got shop manual and it says nothing. Thank all of you who may have information to assist me. Richard Beard

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2015-01-18 08:34

    The inj. pump timing is set with shims underneath the inj. pump itself.. and set with a depth mic.. unless someone lost the shims or there was a MAJOR component change.. block, cam or crank.. it should be fine.. As far as the valves go.. I have no answer.. Sorry.

  2. #2rbeard2015-01-18 09:22

    Thank you the pump guy I'll pull starter next week and look for marks. My boss, in the main shop, one-hundred miles away, said he thinks the engine is low on compression. I asked if they checked it. He told me they didn't. Probably a good Idea I'd say. If I do find marks on viewable side of flywheel when I get the starter removed I let you know. The machine's only got 692 hours on it - I can't imagine it needs valve adjust with this low of hours - and hour meter functions. I did notice in the Kubota shop manual it says to remove fuel line bonnets (nuts) on pumps and when approaching No. 1 cyl top dead center to bring fuel to top of injector and then check timing. I did see about the shims and this means that if fuel is at top of injector and marks are off then shims need adjusting. Thank you for all your help. richard Beard

  3. #3willie592015-01-18 10:36

    That sounds like it's describing "flow timing". It's been a long time since I've done that on a Kubota so I can't recall the specifics with accurate detail, but the summary of it is you remove the injection line from the delivery valve on injection pump for #1 cylinder. You have to have a fuel supply to the injection pump, an electric fuel pump or similar, to give injection pump fuel pressure while checking flow. Now's when you have to locate timing marks, either on flywheel or crank pulley, and it won't be TDC, it will be some degrees BTDC, and you would need to know that spec for that engine for sure. Spot engine thereabouts beginning of compression stroke. Turn on fuel supply pump. Bar engine over approaching timing mark. At the moment you see fuel begin to flow from delivery valve of #1 on injection pump check to see if you're on the correct timing mark. If not, add or remove shims to make it hit the mark.

  4. #4Delmer2015-01-18 11:22

    Sounds familiar... did he mention why he thinks it's low on compression? The COMPLETE specs are easy to find online, http://www.mag-motoren.com/Einstell...0Kubota%2005-Serie%20%28EPA%20Tier%202%29.pdf It looks like the dude in the pump timing picture has a screwdriver or punch in a hole on the right side of the block to the flywheel? (unless you're talking about valves in the injection pump?) the valves are both .006-.007" cold, sure wouldn't hurt to check. I'd suspect valves sticking (or something else sticking from lack of use) more than out of adjustment, but I really don't know if valves "wear in" more when new. Start from scratch on this one.

  5. #5rbeard2015-01-18 19:04

    Thank you both, Willie59 and delmar. I thought the same thing about guessing about low compression - it should have been checked by the "specs" and he had the shop manual too! The shop manual has specs but show timing marks on back - as in where transmission pumps ect, mount. I'll check on other side of engine - right side for hole in mounting plate for pump drive/bellhousing on Monday. The starter's right there where I can get it and I think I'll check flywheel for marks with starter removed. Thanks for the link. I's amazing to an old guy like me what knowledge there is out there - I appreciate all your help on this and and sincere. There's a lot of smart people out there. Thank you all again. I'll let you know what I find this next week.