Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Volvo EC240BLC – Swing drive filling with hydraulic oil and rumbles when stoppin

firefox144 ยท 2014-03-28 08:05

Hi all, Any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased a 2004 Volvo EC240BLC. When I start to swing and when its coming to a stop when I bring the stick to neutral, the machine rumbles a bit. like a grinding sound. I went to check the oil level in the swing motor and found the dip stick tube was filled to the top with oil full of air and cloudy white. I'm assuming this is hydraulic oil. I'm thinking I will need to pull the swing motor out and replace the seals. Is this a complicated job that needs special equipment or can I buy the seals and change them myself. Any info on where I can buy parts other than a Volvo dealer. Thanks in advance

Replies9
  1. #1uffex2014-03-28 09:06

    Good day firefox144 It sounds as the motor has broken up, a word of caution as with most hydraulic components it most probably has contaminated a few other parts including the valve chest so please check it out. I hope the attached helps as far as we are aware you can repair rebuild these with normal workshop facilictys, if we can help further come back to us at [email protected] . The swing transmission we believe to be installed by other manufacturers. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2finaldrive2014-03-28 12:52

    We stock complete units and can also offer repair and return service for you. Click links below in my sig or send me a direct message

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-03-28 13:55

    Also, check the grease in the rotex to make sure there isn't hyd fluid that has pushed through the swing gearbox seal and contaminated the grease.

  4. #4firefox1442014-03-30 08:26

    Well I checked the oil level in the swing drive when the machine was cold and the oil seems to be fine, just too much of it. I read the book which says too much oil will foam up. The machine rumbles when I start and stop, so I'm going to check the grease level in the swing gear. The machine also doesn't always stop when I bring the stick to neutral, could this be a solenoid or pressure relief problem or is there a swing break in the swing motor? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Machine has 5300 hours on it and its in nice snape

  5. #5firefox1442014-03-30 08:34

    Here it is

  6. #6uffex2014-03-30 10:38

    Good day firefox144 Yes the machine has a negative slew brake this is released by swing (slew) left and right also arm in, should active about 5-10 seconds after the the swing process is complete. The fact that there is a rumble indicates a bearing failure. Drain the swing transmission see what witness stuff comes out. The motor switch's to a pump function this is how the machine is stopped the brake only holds the machine much the same as a hand brake on a car. f you need more come back to us. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7Ryanrb252014-03-30 17:11

    On a side note, She looks very tidy for an older girl. Great Machines, our last EC240Blc had 9000 hours on her when we traded it...was still silky smooth.

  8. #8firefox1442014-03-30 18:06

    Thanks for the input, I will drain the the swing transmission tomorrow and see what I find. I will post the results.

  9. #9Eric-b.2018-04-24 21:24

    Did you ever determine what the issue was with the swing? I have an ec 150 doing the exact thing you were describing.