Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Bobcat A300 Axle leak – any mechanics

MatthewG · 2014-06-28 22:35

I have a 2005 A300 with only 52 hours. It has a severe leak from the left rear tire, inside coming from axle seal I believe. Any advice, dealer wants 2k to change, no thanks. Matt

Replies8
  1. #1MatthewG2014-06-28 22:50

    Loaded on the trailer for work

  2. #2CRAFT2014-06-29 01:49

    Kind of a Dumb question ? …. But What makes you so sure that you have an axle leak ??? …. especially with only 52 hrs total on the machine ??? ….. Why I ask this way is because I thought the same thing on Mine only to find that there was a Hydraulic leak under the cab ….not a hose, just a lose fitting and only a small amount of oil, like a pail every 50 hrs …. it drove me Nuts … all winter (and no heated shop) everytime I got it in an off angle there would be oil showing at the Wheels hub …. So thought i'd run that by you first before you ramp up to do a job that's NOT needed … OBTW, how did you manage to have a machine this long with No Hours on the Clock ??? …. Cheers ……

  3. #3Scrub Puller2014-06-29 03:35

    Yair . . . MatthewG. That little short assed tipper looks like a Tonka toy . . . very strange to my Aussie eyes. Is it 4x4 . . . ? It doesn't lack for clearance. Cheers.

  4. #4MatthewG2014-06-30 21:24

    Thanks for the replies, the Bobcat dealer identified the leak as an axle seal leak, its pretty clear it comes from the axle and nowhere else I bought the machine a month ago from the original 65 year old owner, it had 29 hours on it when I got it, he never even used the bucket The truck is a normal ex-municiple, 26,000 GVWR plowing truck, 2wd, very common around here

  5. #5willie592014-06-30 21:52

    I haven't worked on an A300 yet so I can't offer specific advice MatthewG. However, I suspect they're no different from other Bobcat designs. The axle shaft is tapered on the end and the wheel hub fits on the tapered shaft and is held on the shaft with either a single bolt or three bolts. The process typically involves removing the wheel/tire, removing the retainer bolt(s), and then pop the wheel hub off of the shaft. Then drill small holes in the axle seal, screw sheet metal screws into the holes and use the head of the screws as a pry point to remove the axle seal. But then, I'm not certain this applies to the A300.

  6. #6lantraxco2014-06-30 22:26

    I believe the A300 is an all wheel steer loader? I think the axle setup is more similar to a front axle on an all wheel drive backhoe, if it's leaking out of the chaincase you have to pull the steering hub unit to get to the drive axle shaft. The hub itself seems to have both input and output seals, lots of places to leak.

  7. #7willie592014-06-30 22:31

    Ahh, I do believe you are correct lantraxco, the A300 is an all wheel steer deal. Like I said, I haven't worked on one so I'm kinda clueless. I'd be interested in hearing comments from crewchief888.

  8. #8crewchief8882014-07-01 12:12

    lantraxco is probably correct. i havent worked on too many AWS machines, and all those had SJC electrical problems. as far as i recall, the outer hub/ujoint has to be removed to do much of anything with the inner axle or seals... the axle is splined to the sprocket, but i'm unsure if it has the typical retainer bolt holding it in :beatsme :drinkup