Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Case 580 SM Pilots

ptm600 ยท 2015-03-22 14:48

I have been shopping around far a Case 580 and came across one with pilot controls for a very reasonable price. I have been dead set against pilots, because I did not want the electronics. This will be for personal use around my property and not run on a regular basis. My question is how reliable are the electronic controls? How much trouble are guys having with them?

Replies8
  1. #1nowing752015-03-22 14:56

    We have had good luck with the m series. Only problem is the modular that ties in with the out riggers has failed a few times. If it's got a quick coupler on the back make sure the 2 small hoses are in good shape or buy them to keep on the shelf. Also check the bolts that hold the rear axel in as we have had a few brake. Good luck they are a good hoe.

  2. #2ptm6002015-03-25 12:09

    Anyone else?

  3. #3LT-x72015-03-25 18:58

    I am personally not a fan of pilot controls. I like being able reach back and run the hoe sometimes without twisting the seat around. For example when you need to swing the hoe to the high side of a side hill, or when you need to give yourself a quick little push or pull. I have not been on a case with pilots, but the deere's pilots seen to always be in the way of my legs when I'm swinging the seat around.

  4. #4Jlazaro3172015-03-25 20:04

    Getting ready to sell mine that we've owned since new. 10 trouble free years. And it is possible to reach back and use it while facing forward as with standard controls. I learned on old case controls (3 stick) and I've ran them all and prefer pilots.

  5. #5Deon2015-03-25 21:07

    Pilots are very nice to operate. But the electronics can be an expensive nightmare if they brake. I know of a 580M that had electronic malfunction in the stabilized controls. One stabilized would power down while roading and he almost totalled the machine. Could have caused a huge accident. Same machine had an electric connector only partly connected by the factory. I would cause the transmission to go to neural almost every time it would get nice and warmed up. Took many tries and a new dealer tech to find the culprit. He was ready to trade for a different brand. But there are lemons in every brands. One never knows.

  6. #6fpgm042015-03-26 09:46

    For clarity, the pilot controls on a 580SM do not involve a lot of electronics. The joysticks are tied to hydraulic valves, not electronics, for primary backhoe function/movements (boom, dipper, bucket, swing). If you look at the joystick bases, you will see hydraulic hoses coming out of the bottom of the joystick assemblies. As Nowing75 mentioned, there is an electronic module for pilots that controls stabilizers, extendahoe, and auxiliary hydraulics if installed on the vehicle. There are corresponding switches on the joystick grips to match those functions if present. Pilots also have an on/off switch and solenoid for the hydraulic valve, and a joystick pattern selection switch. That is about it, as far as electrics and electronics on pilot controls are concerned. I certainly would not call it a nightmare to deal with. The Case module has a flashing LED on it which provides a trouble code to point in the direction of the problem. If no code, then typically it is a damaged switch. It may also be worth noting the on/off switch should be turned off for vehicle transport or when pilots are controls are not needed to help prevent accidental engagement. Some people also like the fact that there is adjustability in the pilot joystick towers and arm rests which traditional controls do not have. I personally would not be concerned about reliability of the Case pilot controls. As you are already seeing with a 2005 machine, the pilot controls have been in production for 10+ years, and the same style is used in the current N series machines.

  7. #7LT-x72015-03-26 23:58

    Is this with bypassing electronics? The only machine I've spent any real time on with pilots is a 310SG, on this particular machine it will shut down the pilot controls after a few seconds if the seat isn't completely locked in the rear facing position. It screams at me almost every time I spin around because I don't spin that last inch where the seat locks.

  8. #8fpgm042015-03-27 09:37

    Jlazaro317 is correct. On Case Pilot controls it is possible to operate regardless of seat position as the job requires. This is standard factory configuration, no bypassing of electronics required. However when pilots are not needed, like for vehicle transport, the pilot on/off switch should be turned off.