Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 case super m series 2 hard start

onehandman1 · 2023-05-20 19:12

Hi all, My backhoe just recently is hard starting after it sits. It can sit as little as 10 min. Has to crank over a lot before it will fire. I suspect it’s loosing prime when it sits. Was hoping this may be a common failure and I wouldn’t have to diagnose much . Once running it runs normal Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-05-20 20:48

    Supply/lift pump..??

  2. #2JBrady2023-05-24 17:18

    I don't know about the Series M, mine is a Super L. On it, there is no electric fuel pump, just the primer pump between the tank and the injector pump. Mine recently did the same thing, but never would start and after trying to prime it long enough to blister my thumb with no success, I decided there must be a pinhole leak in the fuel line. Replaced the line and reprimed it and problem solved.

  3. #3Willie B2023-05-24 19:35

    K series found it difficult to prime when the tank wasn't full. Tank is one loader frame, & most of the tank is below the primer pump. Some add a primer pump, I kept it full of diesel.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2023-05-24 19:41

    I believe there is a check valve on the return line under the machine it could be bad.

  5. #5Willie B2023-05-25 21:22

    Another thing to check: The key switch, the terminal at the injector pump, or a bad spot in the wire could fail to supply constant power to the injector solenoid. Mine had only one key. I & my sons were sometimes left without a key. There was a white wire back side of the key switch to unplug to start without a key. One day it would start, but if you released the key it'd stall. I eventually learned my youngest son was too lazy to walk to the key, hot wired it. When he was done he reconnected the wire, but on the wrong terminal.