Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Cat 304CR boom swing stuck

BobsSilverSix ยท 2016-05-09 16:19

Hello everyone this is my first post on the site. I work for a mechanical contractor and just took the position as the equipment mechanic, so Im a little new to a lot of this. Heres my question, we have a 304cr mini, the operator called me today saying that the boom swing function is screwed up. He went to swing the boom and the control got stuck so now it wont swing at all. I guess Im just looking for a little trouble shooting advice. I'll take all the help I can get! Thanks. 2005 Cat 304CR S/N NAD02744

Replies3
  1. #1Mark2502016-05-10 03:52

    what do you mean by the control got stuck? do you mean the swing cylinder or swing drive? Did the lever seize? pilot plungers stuck, or did the swing not move when the lever was operated? Mark

  2. #2BobsSilverSix2016-05-10 08:52

    Sorry I wasn't clear. The boom was swung over and the control got stuck. So it swung all the way over and now it won't come back.

  3. #3uglyspaceship2024-09-11 11:01

    Exact thing just happened to my 2004 304CR S/N NAD02115 this past weekend. I opened the pilot valved and found the plunger stuck from a tiny piece of debris. I unstuck it but the little piston came off the rod. Trying to find any kind of better diagram to show where everything goes but the diagrams I find online are not as detailed as I need. I may have the shims incorrectly placed and just want to make sure I put the whole thing back together the right way. Should have paid more attention when I was taking it apart but the spring popped out and now not sure exactly how all the guts go back in.