Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My first excavator

JoshC ยท 2016-05-10 08:28

Picked up a 2012 JD 35D with a long arm and angle blade. It has 1476 hours on it. Ran it last night for a bit digging around a big Poplar stump. First thing I'm going to do is add a hydraulic thumb. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy that from? Already have a lead on a couple of buckets, this one is a 24". I'm going to scrape off the dealer stickers and freshen up some rough spots with paint. Great overall machine. My 10 year old daughter approves

Replies6
  1. #1melli2016-05-13 12:23

    Awesome...looks like your daughter is going to be at the controls soon enough. No idea where to get a thumb for a JD, but it looks like your in tree country, and you definitely need one, unless you like hand picking limbs/branches and numerous cab exits to chain up a log etc...lol I have a thumb on mine, but my neighbor doesn't, and he pines for one everyday...

  2. #2fast_st2016-05-13 12:59

    There are a handful of companies that sell the weld-on thumbs, just have to pick one that suits your budget. Esco would be a high dollar one and the Cheapo might be less expensive. place called usa attachments, excavatorthumb.com has a big pile and free shipping, not sure about the quality.

  3. #3fast_st2016-05-13 13:06

    Machine looks like a great size!! Awesome

  4. #4JoshC2016-05-13 13:49

    Thank you all. I ended up placing an order for a thumb from miniexcavatorthumbs.com After spending the cash on the machine, it left me a bit short to buy a nicer thumb. But this one may do just fine.

  5. #5southernman132016-05-15 06:27

    Just curious what was the price on this unit. I'm kind of looking for one this size. Thanks and nice looking unit!

  6. #6JoshC2016-05-16 08:03

    27,500 out the door.