Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Cat 320cl has no electrical power

gacat320 ยท 2023-11-15 06:56

Was digging stumps with no problems when all electrical power when out, just like turning off key switch. Found 3 of 4 batteries were weak so replaced all 4 with new Cat batteries. Cat parts man suggested I change master switch which I did. Still no power. Any suggestions on where to look next? thx in advance

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2023-11-15 08:08

    First suggestion is post a Serial Number. That gets you the electrical schematic so that you can go tracing power. The Main Power Relay would be my first thought, but better to do a proper diagnostic than keep loading the parts cannon in the vain hope that eventually "something" fixes it.

  2. #2heymccall2023-11-15 08:39

    Fun fact...There are 48 prefix for a model 320C excavator.

  3. #3Nige2023-11-15 09:05

    "2005 Cat 320C" is a bit like saying "white Ford F150".......

  4. #4gacat3202023-11-15 15:22

    serial number is PAB03577

  5. #5heymccall2023-11-15 16:01

    Take cover off relay panel inside radiator door (16mm headed boltx4). At circled device are four connections Big Red...24v constant Small black...Ground Small yellow...ignition 24v from ign switch Big Purple...Main power 24v at key on. Using test lamp... Turn key on 24v should be present at black, yellow and purple. If red has zero volts, battery connection suspect. If yellow and purple are zero volt, fuse in cab suspect. If only purple is zero, that relay (213-0772) is bad.

  6. #6gacat3202023-11-15 17:53

    thx for the info. which fuze would I look for ? Where on the diagram is the relay? I have an ops and maint manual that lists the fuses. Electrical is not my best subject.

  7. #7heymccall2023-11-15 18:25

    #12, 10amp, engine start switch

  8. #8heymccall2023-11-15 18:27

    I had typo. 24v, with key on, should be present at RED, purple, and yellow.

  9. #9LACHAU2023-11-16 02:04

    I just counted. There are 47 prefixes only not 48!!!

  10. #10gacat3202023-11-19 07:23

    excellent instructions, was a blown switch fuse. Many thx and happy thanksgiving from Georgia.

  11. #11Gary Layton2023-11-19 09:28

    gacat320 -- glad you got it worked out. What a great, simple fix. Good folks here for sure. I have a 2006 CAT 320CL so this thread caught my eye. I have had help from the guys here with an undercarriage rebuild, AC problems, erratic temp. readouts, etc. You are in good hands.

  12. #12rcef3502024-03-05 14:15

    Gentlemen, this is gacat320 again. I seek your excellent advice on a new problem with my 2005 cat 320cl PAB 03577. Ran for 3 straight hours this morning and then when trying to swing right RPMs dropped and slowly moved. Seem like it wanted to stall. Same when swing back to front. Stick, boom and bucket work OK. All gauges in normal range and no messages on display. Fluild level site tube is ok. Hour meter has also stopped working. Thx in advance.