Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Caterpillar 308CCR Service/Hour Meter

josh2500 ยท 2016-01-29 21:21

The hour meter on my cat excavator quit working with only 982 hours on it. It is the analog kind with the red thing in the middle that turns. Does anyone know where to start looking to fix this and what drives these style meters? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2016-01-30 05:23

    How cheap do you want to go in trying to find a fault that is likely at the end of the day to be the meter itself..? A genuine Cat replacement is only $60......

  2. #2josh25002016-01-30 20:07

    Thanks for the reply. If it's the meter itself I will just replace it. I should have been a little more clear what I was asking. I am more or less asking what makes these analog meters run? I read where the cat digital meters run off a lug on the alternator. My old Kubota kx161 had a square drive cable on it. Just was wondering what runs these style meters before I start taking the cab plastics apart next chance I get. Thanks again.

  3. #374inchShovel2016-01-30 21:15

    I have installed a few of these, they all have ran on 12 volts dc.