Steering issue on 2005 4500 Top Kick. When you turn steering wheel it becomes mostly manual steering with no assist. Had new tires balanced and put on. Front end looked over and new wheel bearings installed. New power steering pump. I unhooked lines at hydro power booster and coupled them together and no change in issue. Had the pressure lines off hydro power booster and pushed on brakes and a little aluminum piece about 1/2 od 1/4 id with o ring on it flew out on floor. I am thinking the steering box is the problem. I bled it but no change on issue. Now I have to figure out where/how that piece goes back in first in the pressure line before I tackle the steering box unless one of you smarter than me Gentlemen can point me in the correct direction before I have no hair left! Thanks.
Are the Kingpins seized? With the front wheels off the ground, you should be able to turn the wheel left to right and back, with just your hands, with moderate effort. If not, disconnect the passenger tie rod and try again. Do the kingpins even take grease?
Thanks for the reply. Yes they are free and they take grease.
I agree I would jack it up and double check that every thing moves free and then look over the steering shaft from the steering wheel to box I don't know if the 4500 is similar to a 2500 frame but we had a heck of a time with on this winter turned out the front diff mount to the frame under the steering shaft was broke off from the framerail pressing against the steering input when you put it in 4wd worked great in 2wd the torque from the 4wd would twist it into the shaft and very hard to steer kinda hidden under all the hoses and wires Oreillys offers a power steering pressure test kit free in there loaner tool program
Thanks for reply. Yes they are free and take grease.
Thanks for reply. I don't think they are the same. I had checked the steering shaft and it was ok.