Been finding lots of help in here thank you! We bought the D5 to clear stumps, trees, rough grading so far it's cost SO much to repair. It was at the CAT repair shop for four months with a huge bill. So I have been trying to fix most small things myself. (This is my first dozer) At the shop they replaced all the transmission sensors but two of the codes say transmission sensors. This is what I have and what I have been able to track down for codes: Error Codes: 030 for monitor (not sure what monitor is unless it's just that it monitors problems?) 036 for engine 113 for transmission Error Codes 10-11-2023 30 monitor: 826.04 826: Torque Converter Oil Temperature Sensor 36 engine: 320.02, 320.11 320: Speed/Timing Sensor What do the .02 and .11 stand for? 113 transmission: 177.04, 718.07 177.04, Transmission oil temperature sensor, Voltage below normal. (The transmission temp gauge was not working today most of the time it gets up to 25%) 718: Transmission System (I couldn't find 718.07) Thank you in advanced for any help your pointing me in the right direction Everything works fine, drives fine, pushes find, the six way blade is slow pushing forward on the right and left side. Everything else seems perfect, all three gears shift fine. Gary
G'day and welcome...!! Firstly kudos for posting a good amount of information including the machine Serial Number. It makes it a lot easier to find technical information. Before diving deep into the Diagnostic Codes you are asking about let's step back for a second and ask how many of them are actually Active.? Look in the display window when you first turn on the key and you will see a "SERV CODE" icon in the RH side. It should light up during the panel test and then go out. Does it.? If it goes out after the test that means all the Codes you can currently see are Logged, meaning they were there once but are not there now. Logged Codes can be erased from the system memory quite easily. You need to do some background reading on the Click Box thread because you will either need to get hold of one, make one, or even use the McGyver workaround in that thread using 2 pieces of wire to clear the memory. 030 is the "brain" in the Monitor System panel on the dash that displays diagnostic information. In diagnotic terms it's simply naother electronic module just like the engine and the powertrain controls.
Thank you for the reply Nige. I believe the "SERV CODE" lights up then goes out. I will check that this morning. The reason I started looking at error codes was because the engine light started blinking, went off, starting blinking... On sometimes, then off made me worried. I will do the reading on the "Click Box" I have no problem making one. I'm getting parts today to make my own root/branch/small tree rake on the back of the front blade. with 24 inch concrete form stakes. ($97.85 root rake LOL) Thanks again I will post back about the "SERV CODE" later today.
Beat me to it!
Just to clarify the codes that you're seeing and what you've mostly figured out. The codes are broken down into three sections. The first is known as the Module Identifier (MID). For example, in your case you have monitor, engine and transmission module codes. (030, 036, 113) The second part is the Component Identifier (CID). This identifies the problem component connected with the problem Module. The third part is the Failure Mode Identifier (FMI). This tells us what problem we are dealing with. Here's a list.
Nige, The "SERV CODE" does not stay on it turns off after the start-up check. Looked at your "Click Box" forum, I see why people make them! I think that's the route I will take. The Engine System light (the light just to the left of the parking brake light) is blinking again. The transmission temp is not working again today. Is that why the Engine System light is on? Cmark, Thank you! keeping that info in my bulldozer collection file.
My son in law has a CAT Click Box! He is coming by on Monday. Transmission temp was working again for awhile - no Engine Service light. Restarted, temp not working again Engine Service light is back on. I'm thinking a loose wire? (the sensor was replaced by Cat service dealer) Not sure where the temp sensor is searching for that.
I’ll send you a copy of the electrical schematic. It also has illustrations showing component locations. Keep an eye on your messages.
You have two logged codes relevant to transmission temperature. 030.826.04 and 113.177.04 Two different CIDs mean two different sensors with faults. As the gauge is part of the 030 monitoring system, you should probably concentrate on finding and troubleshooting the 826 Torque Converter Oil Temperature Sensor. The 177 Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor is probably used by the system to alter transmission shift parameters and its output isn't visible on a gauge - only through ET. An FMI of 04 is often associated with a short to ground of a signal circuit. This could either be in the sensor, the wiring or the ECM. Also bear in mind that both faults could be caused by one issue
Nige, I will keep an eye open thank you. Cmark, So many sensors I know they replaced the three on the transmission. (they told me three). I have been going through the 12 page bill looking up what sensors they changed. They also replaced the engine or main wire harness. Because the prior owners had cut, jumped, removed a bunch of stuff. Thank you. I will do my best to find and fix the new problems. Since the "SERV CODE" turns off does that mean these are intermittent problems? I use the dozer daily, I will be making my own root/debris/small tree rake tomorrow. So I may try to track down these - I hope shorts or loose wires. Thank you all very, very much!
It means that they are no longer active codes, but logged. Once you have access to the clicker box, you can delete all the logged codes (I recommend writing them all down first) then run the machine and see if any return.
Cmark, I video the codes so I can pause and get the numbers. lol My son in laws click box I should be able to clear them Monday. Nige, I got the PDF thank you.
If your son-in-law doesn't have one, check the Click Box thread where I think in one of the posts you will find a pdf copy of the User Manual.
I have the original user manual, I use it to check maintenance, which light blinking means what, start up, shut down... As I said my first dozer. I will post an update after we use the click box. Today I spent all day (between the rain) working on my home made front blade root, branch, small tree rake. About $130 in materials. I'm using two steel concrete form stakes. I will post a picture if the rain lets me finish!
I meant the instruction manual on how to use the Clock Box, not the manual for the machine.
Oh OK thanks!
OK my son in law just dropped off the clicker and left! LOL Took me a minute but I found that "#3" was the error codes. Cleared them and now it just shows "- - -" no errors. But the dam "Service Engine" light still comes on? I start the dozer, no errors now, about 10 minutes the light comes on (no code), drive it for 15 or 20 minutes shut it down again, restart the light stays off the rest of the day? I have checked the oil, water, hydraulic fluid levels all good, cleaned the outer air cleaner. Any idea's what may be causing that? And does anyone know what this is in the picture? It was hanging from the same place as the plug for the click box. I think is says "M1 Spec" should it be plugged into something? Looks like an antena plug. Thanks.
Can you clarify "service engine light" Do you mean "serv code" shows in the display or the big red light comes on? That plug would have been for a radio or maybe something to do with a GPS setup. Ignore it.
If you had read the Click Box thread in detail as suggested earlier you would already have known that...... The illustration of the panel below should be what is on your machine. To which one of the lights are you referring.? Is it #13 perchance.? A thought from left field. Has the fan belt condition/tension been checked/adjusted recently.?
Nige, yes that is my dash and yes it is "#13". I have been reading the click box thread many posts and pages. And when my son on law said he had one I thought well he can do it! LOL But he didn't just drop it off he said I can have it, he only uses tablets and laptops for the service codes. So back to that thread I will go! Cmark, #13 in the manual is called a "Service Engine" light in the book I have. Thank You both.
Since the light has come back, I assume after you cleared all the Codes from the Monitor, have any new Codes appeared or any ones returned that were there before.? If there is anything starting "036" that's engine-related.
Nope no new codes just the "- - -" and no "SERV CODE" while the light is on. And as I said after about 15 to 20 minutes I restart and it stays off the rest of the day.
Update on the "The Engine System Light" I'm pretty sure it's a loose wire somewhere. Today as always the light came on, after 20 minutes or so I shut down restarted the light was off. Bumped a stump pretty hard didn't see it. Light was back on. So hmmmm I bumped a tree that needed to go with the blade pretty hard the light went out and stayed out. Now to track down the loose, grounded, bad wire. Still no Serv Codes since I cleared them. But I have a new problem the six way blade is very slow pushing forward with the right or left side. I have been being pretty careful not the use that to push stumps. I circle the stumps counter clock wise with the left side down to cut the roots about 2 feet away from small stumps, 3 or 4 feet away from bigger (30 inch and larger) stumps. Then center the blade to push them out. More digging around them makes them easy to push out. Some lumber guys gave me that advice so I wouldn't break the six way. But today I was grading one of the roads and trying to angle the blade to push dirt down the hill and noticed it was going very slow? Is that something I can fix or is it back to the CAT service center? Thanks!