Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 D6R II Rails Being Eaten Into

Alluck123 ยท 2014-08-02 20:43

Hello, The rails on one side of my D6R's undercarriage are being eaten into at an high rate. It is getting close to the pins in some areas. Do they need tightening or is there a bigger problem? The other side seems fine. Right now I have been told the undercarriage is around 70%....obviously opinions vary. Thank you for your feedback.

Replies5
  1. #1big ben2014-08-02 20:57

    That is strange. Just the top of the rails where they contact the rollers ? How are the rollers ? Rollers worn even ? Both inner and outer sides of the rail wearing ? Are the tracks loose enough that they drag on the track frame just after the front idler ? Has this been the case all along or were both rails the same at one point and now 1 has accelerated wear ? Last owner side hill it a lot ? Track pads bent ?

  2. #2Alluck1232014-08-02 21:04

    Yes it is more on the face of the rails itself. Rollers seem to be worn evenly, but worn significantly. Seems to be just outer. Not loose enough to drag on frame. Both rails were at the same point at one time....I have been working quite a bit on hills so maybe I bent the track pads? Did not know I could do that. Thanks

  3. #3DPete2014-08-02 22:27

    Welcome to the forum, I have the same dozer, pics of the wear would be good.

  4. #4nowing752014-08-02 23:35

    I have a d6k that sounds to have the same were. I'm thinking it's from side slopes. We do a lot of ponds.

  5. #5DMiller2014-08-03 00:08

    Side loading will add wear rate to the rollers and rails, we used to torch 'trim' the roller flanges on high wear machines to get a little more life from them but that was years ago and I did not think of it occurring with today's machines.