I own a tree service and have been contimplating buying a mini ex for several weeks now. This afternoon I looked at a small job removing wisteria covered bushes/small trees behind a house (grubbing). The job will take around a day to do. Anywho, since I was already thinking about buying an excavator, I decided to take a quick look around and found this 5 hours south of me in Natchez. It's a 2005 IHI 35N2 for $14.5k. I know the 35N2 was used in RSC's fleet, I even rented one back in 2006. That job could pay for ~10% of the machine (assuming I get it). Anyone have some feedback on this particular machine? The paint is a rough, and the thumb is rediculous, but the machine looks *decent* for the money. I would prefer a Kubota, but for no particular reason aside from a less trippy color. Would this be a comparable model to the KX91-3? I'm going to be spending the weekend in Jackson, might slink on down there and have a looksy if the chick doesn't mind. Here's IHI's spec sheet for that model. Thanks for the input Carl
Is there a place close by where you can get parts and/or service for this machine?
I had a 35J. That machine looks fine especially for the money. I agree the thumb is odd, but that would not be big deal to fix. The machines are pretty easy to work on. CES who brings these in to the USA is in Ky. Very helpful and provide solid support.
Love Mine I have a 2003 IHI 30NX with about 1400 hours on it, and I love it. Its a simple little machine with no frills, but its a money maker in my little business. I'd definitely buy another one, or look into their CTL's when the time comes to replace my loader. My only gripe is a lack of travel pedals or at least pads on the travel levers. Best thing was that it cost about $7000-$10,000 less than a yellow machine of the same size. John
I do basically all my work myself. I have local contracts at general supply houses and am pretty good at finding parts online. The are also Kubota options like this and a 2006 version of the same machine. I do like the thumb aux controls on the Kubota. Best I recall the IHI has a foot pedal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/170670692003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Yes the IHI does have the aux. on the floor. My Takeuchi has it on the control handle and for somethings I like the hand control better. However when doing things like running a hoe pac I would take the foot control back in a heart beat.
I own a 2000 Kubota KX61-2 that looks identical in every way to the machine above. Great machine. Very smooth and powerful, very easy on fuel also....Floor foot controlled Aux. hydro. Weird looking thumb mounting on the machine in pour photo. I would say that this is a decent machine at a good price. I think it could easily pay for itself in a short time. My opinion would be to ask to demo it for a few days first, make sure everything works and you like the machine prior to buying it or make an offer based on the actual running of the unit. DO NOT buy it and find out later that it has problems.. Good luck.
Thanks for the advise. I think I would prefer electric switch for my uses. I would likely mount a grapple on the ex and a side to side foot control would suck for running that. Also it offers other options for control layout (wiring in other activation switches). My Gehl AL 340 uses joystick mounted buttons for the aux circuit, and that's a main reason I bought that loader. I certainly check the hell out of any used machine before buying it. I can buy a cleaner 91-3 Kubota for a grand more that comes with a 6 month warranty. If I buy one, that will likely be what I buy. I'm going to submit my bid for the job today or tomorrow, we'll see where it goes.
They liked my bid on removing the wisteria covered stuff and asked for a bid on cutting a 24x24 pad into the hill with an 8" top soil cap set 1"below the existing retaining wall. Bid that tonight and got the whole job (no compete bid). Looks like I'll be buying something next week! Thanks for the advise! Now I've gotta figure out buying / borrowing or renting a laser system.
I rented one for a pipe job I did in 2006 to locate ahead of my Komatsu 300 in a water treatment plant. I located over 135 utilities and only tore out a 4" french drain so I guess i'm trying to say it had a good feel and the controls were smooth, but it only had 150 hrs on it to.
I have the 35J and can't complain, bought it used, changed the oils and run it. I will say it is good on fuel and quiet. I did search around to find out about parts and don't see any real issues with that either.
You could go by any RSC and they can pull up the history of the equipment. Just take that eq# that is on it with you. Just a little FYI.
own the IHI 35J, bought it used, changed fluids and run it. I have no complaints, I also agree with the other parts are not hard to find.