Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota advise

good-dog ยท 2012-01-15 10:17

Im looking at a 2002 Kx-121-2 $16900,2446 hr and 2002 Kx -121-3 $19500,5520 hr both have thumb. would be using around 40 AC wood lot. This would me my first machine. I am a millwright by trade.What would your epinions be on these machine. How are they for working on.Are they generaly a will made machine . What kind of things would you expect will need to be adressed.Would a different make be a better chose Any advise would be welcome. Thanks Ont Canada

Replies8
  1. #1TCM2012-01-15 15:06

    I got a 1999 KX121-2 3100 HR, steel tracks. I have owned it for just over a year. I got a good buy on it but it needed some work. Buying parts for it isn't like running to your car dealership, it's worse. Great part avialibility but Kubota isnt affraid to charge for them! Big ticket items on them is the final drive motors, gear failure, fluid bypass. Just be sure the gear cases always have lots of good oil and your running clean hydraulic fluid. On the coldest days the engine will light right up and run seamless. IMO they are well thought out to work on. I'm a heavy aircraft mech. It's a great digger and get lots done in a short period of time and I dont have a thumb on mine. Only thing I would like it to have is the Zero tail swing but I can live without it. I also need a thumb. Kingston Ont.

  2. #2Ropinghorns2012-01-15 19:50

    You will love it. I have a new one and am in love.

  3. #3good-dog2012-01-15 20:54

    Yes that is great but I would think that a 2002 machine would be quit different than a 2011 machine, yes???

  4. #4Ropinghorns2012-01-15 21:00

    Not sure of any changes but mine has a cab and angle blade. They seem to hold their value really well.

  5. #5Canadian_digger2012-01-15 21:09

    Cant go wrong with Kubota, I don't think I would buy a mini with 5500hrs tho.

  6. #6pafarmer2012-01-16 05:12

    buy the lowest hour machine. 5500 hours is bunch on mini ex. or that price should be about half of what it is in my opinion. I own a 2000 KX61-2 with 2300 hours and its the smoothest mini going. nice machine for sure. good luck

  7. #7k452012-01-16 08:02

    I have a 2006 KX-121-3 that I use around the farm. Great, solid machine. I absolutely love the angle blade on the -3. I have the thumb too and that's been very useful for picking up big rocks, trees, etc. Ken

  8. #8coorecat2012-01-26 12:58

    I ran one of my sub contractors 2008 for a few days and it was a very good machine overall,real smooth and the angle blade was awesome!