Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Pete 379 project

drystack ยท 2014-07-04 16:03

I bought this truck about a year ago and use it for hauling stone for my Company through New England. Truck was an Aroostook County Potato hauler with 900k and loaded with chrome on the inside, but the previous owner always sells before 1m. It's a 550/18sp with PDI tune, 275"wb. I added the stripes, visor, headache rack, pipes and elbows and had the motor rebuilt through Cat's Platinum program. It's crazy how these trucks hold their value now. The trailer is a 2010 48' Reitnouer spread. The driver in the pics is my father. Loaded, I'm getting 5.8mpg @ 70mph. So glad I didn't buy the 2013 389 with Paccar power I was considering.

Replies2
  1. #1Fastdirt2014-07-12 00:40

    Great truck! Good looking visor and love the stack choice. I like the miter cuts and elbows. What PDI tune does it have? Did you rebuild it at 900k miles? I know that was expensive. Was the PDI tune on it for a long time? Just curious, I love the big block Cat's in a long nose Pete.

  2. #2drystack2014-07-13 14:15

    Thanks! The PDI was done before I purchased it. The previous owner said the tune bumped it to 600hp, but more importantly "moved the power curve to where it was more driveable". Compared to my old single turbo it definately has a more consistent and smooth power delivery. I had the rebuild done at just under 900k and the shop who performed it is aware of the PDI. At that time we did 2 new turbos, air to air, oil cooler, compressor and planed the head and top of block. The motor job was far less than others I have had quoted and the best insurance policy available IMO.