Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Peterbilt 379 Flat Top lowboy project

Fastdirt · 2014-07-21 01:18

I am really deep in this project and wanted to share here. A few of my dream vehicles (restored of course) are the 69 Mustang fastback, 69 Bronco, and a long hood Peterbilt 379 with a big Cat motor. I have a few others like an 02 7.3 F550 crew cab but those are the main ones. I bought this 98 379 EXHD a little over a year ago. I never would have thought that it would have spent over 10 months in the hands of others. It's been through hell and I have had several people shake my hand while pissing on my leg in this ordeal. It's come a long way I will say but it is far from done. Maybe not that far since it's in good hands finally. My hands. I just got it back after losing my patience unfinished Friday. I couldn't take it anymore. The main thing is it's really starting to look like a spec truck compared to the OTR 379 it was. Long story short I went and recovered it Friday after cancelling work so I could get it home. This shop like the last shop was just dragging their feet and causing problems. I feel like my kid was at camp getting abused and I just wanted to get him home and love him/it. Hard to explain but I've been tore up over this for far too long. Lot of good work happened but a lot of shoddy work and prep to. This was Friday... Good place to set fresh painted fenders huh. Right on the pavement. I put them in the bed of the truck to get home along with the sleeper door, painted cowl panels and a lot of other parts. This was an uncomfortable scene but I kept my cool and paid them with a demanded cashier's check. I was done fighting. It's new home for a while. It's no pro shop but it will get loved. It also won't fit so I have had to re truss the whole opening. Good thing I had the horns and lights removed and the roof shaved. It's 9'4' and the opening was 8'10". The new truss is 9'11" and it will fit.

Replies224
  1. #1Fastdirt2014-07-21 01:38

    Don't laugh but I was proud. This was five minutes after I bought it way down in South Georgia. It sounded incredible. A 1998 379 EXHD with a 550 3406E 10 spd. If I died then I would've been happy. Drove straight to the paint shop that day on a Saturday. It took two months to paint it for some reason. My first trailer after the Kaufman trailer deal wasn't pretty. I rushed into a hi boy out of desperation. Finally got the detach I wanted. Mainly for side loading and low and safe ride..... and they look awesome I have to say. Have always loved a 379 pulling a detach. Currently I have a huge amount parts here and on order for this project. This is the painted visor with dust all over it. I haven't checked if that is over spray yet. I'm scared too. I'll keep the updates as I finish this monster project.

  2. #2lumberjack2014-07-21 07:13

    Good grief this has been the project from hell! I'm excited to see the finished project before I die!

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2014-07-21 12:24

    Too bad that it has been such a struggle for you. It sure is hard to find people to care about your project like you want. I know you will have a great truck when you get it done.

  4. #402Dmax2014-07-21 12:27

    Is that the same truck that was also stolen at one point? There was black 379 with a lowboy on here a while back that got stolen but luckily recovered.

  5. #5Sterff2014-07-21 16:18

    I can't wait to see it finished. I love a good flat top Peterbilt!

  6. #6WColtharp2014-07-21 21:17

    02Dmax: Not to step on Fastdirt's toes but he did have his truck stolen, but fortunately it was found and recovered! I believe I remember reading about this in his other thread pertaining to his work in the "showtime" forum. Fastdirt: The truck looks great! It's such a same when a project that you have envisioned and spent countless hours daydreaming about comes with such headaches.. Keep on getting after it and it'll all come together, just with a little more sweat equity to make things interesting . Keep up the great work both on the job site and caring after your equipment. Top notch work!

  7. #7nedly052014-07-22 05:05

    The truck is looking great, at least shes in good hands now! What all do you have left to do on it? Will you start running it again before its finished?

  8. #8Fastdirt2014-07-24 00:57

    I hear ya! I've felt the same way but we are going to get some progress now for sure. Actually a ton of work has been done. The main work the work I'm not setup to do. Thanks, JD. It is impossible to find someone around here. If you need a fleet truck fixed or a collision repair that's no problem. We need a Chrome Shop Mafia or Triple R Diesel around here. Nothing of that nature in metro Atlanta that I know of. I'm sure you have a lot of shops to pick from in S. California for custom work. I have dealing with Big Rig Chrome shop, Four State Trucks a.k.a. Chrome Shop Mafia, Outlaw Customs and many more. They are really really busy right now. Business is good. I have tried calling 12 Gauge Customs and they won't answer or return my calls. My point is it would be great to open a shop around here. I think I would be perfect for it. I care. I see the vision. I will tell a customer hey it will be 6 months to get you right if that's what I think. I would turn them away before I would tell them what they want to hear. I would be straight up period. I have been told by quite a few people exactly what I wanted to hear upon dropping the truck or trailer off. People are in it for money. Thanks a lot WC! We have a lot of sweat equity to look forward here. I will have multiple theft preventions on the truck from this point within days. Can't have it get stolen again. Obviously secret methods though Thanks, but I will not run it till it's 100% completed. I've waited too long. I am actually doing everything to this truck.

  9. #9Fastdirt2014-07-24 01:32

    What I've had done so far: The axles were moved up 32" and huck bolted in place. It is now at 220" from 252". The 63" sleeper was removed. A 2013 Peterbilt 36" flat top was installed. I had Alumitank make 90 gallon 46" overall length tanks. It had the 130's removed. New aluminum straps from Alumitank. I had a Peterbilt rear window frame installed. I was sold a used window. Discovered it was scratched this week. I ordered a new one from Peterbilt along with the seal and interior trim. I had a right side sleeper window installed made specifically for the late model 36" from Peterbilt. It is a slider. I had the outer aluminum frame painted black and have the interior trim. I had a left side door window installed in the sleeper door. It is flush mount. Door skin had to be replaced in order to install the window. The window does pop out and has interior trim. New rear shocks. lateral bars. Two air bags. Drive shaft shortened. Truck was painted black in mid 2013. The whole cab has been repainted along with door trim except for the bottom trim area that would get scuffed up. The new sleeper has been painted along with the door exterior trim and the side window trim. The roof has been shaved along with the horns and marker lights removed.

  10. #10Fastdirt2014-07-24 01:40

    Still at 252" The big sleepers aren't worth much. The flat tops are really high dollar though. Tanks are on. I had to figure tank size my self. So I called the good guys a Talladega fiberglass and asked them which tank size they used on their 379 with a 36" sleeper. They told me exactly what they used. Roof was filled and smoothed. The antenna has since been removed.

  11. #11Fastdirt2014-07-24 01:52

    After five months at one shop I had it towed to the shop that sold me the 36" sleeper. It was and is a big project all the way around. I was in search of the small hole 24.5 Alcoa rims. Fleetwheel said they could provide the rare wheels. They sent me regular whole wheels that had been polished so hard with a machine polisher that the vent holes were deformed from the polish wheel on one side. I repackaged them and had a truck come pick them up for a return. The first driver wouldn't pull in. It took five weeks to get my money back.

  12. #12Fastdirt2014-07-24 02:13

    I just went with Alcoa 24.5" wheels from Ron's Rims. Excellent service. I ordered the mirror finish instead of the level one polish. Also got a set for the lowboy trailer. So much work to do. My welder is coming to remove the rear fender brackets and weld on the rear plate for a pintle and a 2" receiver. I just ordered a 36"x36" 1" plate of steel for him to work with. After that process I can dress the frame.

  13. #13Fastdirt2014-07-24 02:22

    Garage opening is done. It will allow the truck to come in. Electrician is coming to wire up for outlets and lights. Got a big order from 4 State Trucks today. Details grille, 12 gauge front axle air bag kit, Box bumper, 8" pipes, new Battery boxes for both sides and a lot lot more. I'll pick up tomorrow. I have some time this week to get it going pretty good. I am basically replacing everything. Going with new 15" air cleaners instead of the 13". One piece window conversion. Custom mirror brackets. Everything really

  14. #14Mike L2014-07-24 02:38

    Wow that's a sharp lookin Pete! And a lot of truck on a small trailer!

  15. #15Fastdirt2014-07-29 23:26

    Couldn't be happier with the way the shop turned out. Got the opening much bigger, hung some T5 high output lights, had the electrician drop some outlets, built a 24' long 24" bench with an upper shelf, hung paneling, trimmed it all out, and put about 5 gallons of flat white on all the brick and block to really lighten it up. Got some new tools, LED work lights, and a stereo. I couldn't be happier considering it was a dirt floor a month ago.

  16. #16Fastdirt2014-07-29 23:33

    This bed was a huge job to remove. Felt like 200 huck bolts. I ate through a 4" grinder wheel and had to get a new one. What a massive wiring harness for a few lights. It was a one harness does all. It had A/C, heat, load lamps, and everything else. It's gonna be hard to throw it away.

  17. #17Fastdirt2014-07-29 23:59

    Got the entire interior removed from the cab and sleeper. I have a guy in Navada who is going to provide all the interior. He does a lot of Peterbilt's, especially 359's since Paccar doesn't sell the replacement interior panels. Got the truck out and finally washed it down inside and out. I installed new door checks and new hood stops. Also have the hood guide rollers to replace and a check cable. We got the shop completely finished inside. It's bright now and I love it. We also finished the block wall outside, trimmed the opening and installed a LED exterior light. The mood is good down there now. We might frame out the rest of the concrete since it meets the front porch. That way we could weather proof and secure this project because it won't fit in all the way. We'll see. I can get pretty impulsive.

  18. #18Fastdirt2014-07-30 00:13

    He couldn't turn around on a 16" block. It's already filling up in there. I hope to keep on top of the mess up. Here is the painted drop visor, the Talladega extended drop cowl panels already painted, and the sleeper door with the window. This should be the only 379 with a door window. So we will have all three windows in a 36" sleeper. I got the idea from looking at the 2014 and 2015 367's I think. Still have to cut the inside panel to fit the trim. The door skin had to be replaced with the right skin that accepts the flush mounted window.

  19. #19JNB2014-07-30 07:17

    Nice to have your baby home, eh? At least you know it'll get done right from here on out.

  20. #2002Dmax2014-07-30 09:13

    Shop and truck look killer. I love the modern style upgrades too. Nice work.

  21. #21Fastdirt2014-07-30 12:58

    Thanks Here is the first of many videos. http://youtu.be/Y0lZPwXK63I

  22. #22Fastdirt2014-08-10 22:44

    CS Truck Repair in Lithonia Georgia painted this truck and cut the side window in crooked. The paint job is sickening. It is equal to spray paint in some areas. So many other complaints an overcharges it's not worth bringing up. I spent $15,000 at this shop and they screwed me. I'm the little guy. They will not answer my calls nor respond to my voicemails or texts. Not a sorry. Nothing. They just won't reply or respond. It's happened to me twice on this truck and I warned them before taking it in if they could handle it and Mike Weaver the owner said he could handle it. Brian Lockett is the body shop manager an he is responsible for this huge mess I'm left with. The over spray on the entire front hood, grille, lights, and front fenders is so bad from the primer they used on the roof that it all has to redone. The only solution is to soda blast the entire truck and have the Freightliner dealer in Jefferson re paint everything. At this point I have way too much invested, so it is going to get done right from here on out. Much progress is being made in other areas.

  23. #23Fastdirt2014-08-10 22:55

    They had to cut the cross member and re drill a new hole. On the right lower corner cross member.

  24. #24Fastdirt2014-08-10 23:14

    So a lot of progress is going on with the truck. This is the look I'm going for it.

  25. #25Fastdirt2014-08-10 23:54

    Here is the rear pintle hitch, 2" receiver trailer hitch, lights, air, etc. coming together. We first cut off the crooked fender mounts by the previous sop. We will get those on right after the hitch plate. The truck will be set up to pull the Eager Beaver 20 ton tag along I pull with my tandem. Also going with a 2" receiver to be able to pull any trailer really. Might see some undersized loads behind it.

  26. #26Fastdirt2014-08-10 23:58
  27. #27Fastdirt2014-08-11 00:07

    After Sunday and just getting everything in place. Tomorrow I will be at work and he will weld it all on with trusses, gussets, top plate, etc. Then on to the fenders. It will be a lot of work.

  28. #28Mark132014-08-11 20:49

    That's going to be a sharp truck when you are done. I can't say I'm a big fan of the lights in the bumper look that some trucks have, I think they look best in the factory location. The body work the truck repair place did is horrible. Might be time to stop by with a nine iron and rile them up a little bit if they think ignoring customers is the right thing to do when they screw up and don't want to take the blame for it.

  29. #29AlldayRJ2014-08-12 21:20

    Sorry to hear about the shop man, nothing worse than people stealing your hard earned money. I would trash them to everyone and everywhere, then you might hear back from them. Glad to see some progress, cant wait til its done

  30. #30Fastdirt2014-08-18 23:13

    I'm definitely not mounting the lights in the bumper. I just like the visor and roof line look. I plan on running the factory lights but I am going to do a unique mount under the lights that makes it look like the lights are slanted. Hard to explain but it will come soon. As far as that shop it's just sickening but I'm going to come out shiny and straight. I just ordered a new passenger side side panel for the 36" sleeper and will have to remove the panel and huck bolt the new one in. CS repair cut the window in crooked and there is no fix for that. The interior panels are also off. So it's going to take a lot of money and shop hours to get it right but it'll be right. I am planning on having the Frieghtliner dealer re paint the truck. They have done a lot of Nascar semi's. They have a great reputation and will guarantee my satisfaction. I first have to take it to another place to get the entire thing sand blasted. On a good note the rear hitch plate and top plate are complete. My welder does amazing work. He has quite the reputation around here for being an incredible welder. He has completely cut PC1000 booms in half and re built them. He has made regular track hoes into long reach machines. He's just amazing, friendly, and fair, and most importantly he does great work. After seeing so much bad work lately I'm just happy to sit and watch good work be done. Ready for filler and primer. It will look more complete with all the lights up top and the air lines and such.

  31. #31Fastdirt2014-08-18 23:22

    I think it has great look to it. The entire frame will be blasted, primed, and painted. The truck will break in half before the hitch or plate gives. A fellow grader just had his hitch snap in half last Monday. He was on a busy Atlanta street at 7:30 a.m. pulling a 953 with a tandem when all of the sudden the pintle snapped. The trailer plowed up the road but came to a stop in a curve and didn't hit anything. Very lucky. Makes me glad I bought the 100,000 lb. pintle. It's heavy and expensive but it's the strongest Buyers products sells.

  32. #32Sterff2014-08-19 17:23

    You aren't kidding about that hitch. Looks HD.

  33. #33Fastdirt2014-09-25 00:57

    About three weeks ago I took the truck to the place I should have taken it the first time. They have the best painter around. Finally hope it's in good hands. I got several referrals to the place because of their painter. Even the other shops said they wished they had this painter. This shop has painted over 20 Nascar rigs and show rigs. I told them that I wanted it treated as a show truck from this point on out. I took them all of the parts. They are doing it all and priced me to complete it all. I took them the front air bag kit, 8" exhaust, new toolbox/steps, new 15" air cleaners,, grille and surround, one piece window kits, mirror frames, rear fiberglass fenders, cowl panels, visor, wheels, bumper, and everything else. I have virtually everything for this project and they are going to completely finish it all. Hard to believe. It'll take awhile I'm sure, but bolting that stuff on is the easy part. Fixing the last paint shop's paint job is going to be the hard part but they aren't sweating it like I am. Picture from the lobby Ordered this interior from Truck Guts about a month ago. It takes to two months. They are also doing the sleeper in the same material. Since the bed has been removed they are making the interior to cover all the way from the floor up.

  34. #34Fastdirt2014-09-25 01:09

    Unloaded the parts on them. The car hauler axle just came in also.

  35. #35Fastdirt2014-09-25 01:23

    The step boxes came un polished. I polished one but didn't have time for the other. The shop is going sub out the polishing. The Paccar box has the new rear window, trim, and weather strip. Also the aluminum grille surround pieces, door weather strips, peep window seal, and other parts. Doors have been re skinned with thicker aluminum.

  36. #36Fastdirt2014-09-25 01:34

    Since CS Truck Repair cut the side window in crooked the sleeper panel had to be replaced. I ordered one from a late model that was already pre cut and drilled. Peterbilt sent two damaged ones and finally got it right on the third one.

  37. #37AlldayRJ2014-09-25 08:05

    Glad to see you back and the project coming along

  38. #38Fastdirt2014-10-03 22:35

    This is the wider Eaton E1202W axle with the center beam drop. It'll allow for a sharper turning radius and allow for more oil pan clearance. It'll replace the E1200I in the truck now. The E1202 has heavier king pins than a E1200 but both are 12,000 lb axles. Plan is to clean the hubs and get new hub seals and not run center caps on the wheels The vent windows removed The one piece window conversion uses power The doors with vent windows removed

  39. #39Fastdirt2014-10-03 22:55

    Hood emblems were removed The center beam drop on the car hauler axle to allow for oil pan clearance when lowered. The stock axle beam has no center beam drop This is progress believe it or not.

  40. #40Fastdirt2014-11-17 23:02

    The 12 ga air ride kit is on. They also put in a high hp 5 core radiator and a/c condenser. They had the hood in the paint booth tonight. It has already been painted underneath and should be the first piece to get new paint. We have the replacement insulation pads, splash guards, roller guides etc. The sleeper finally has all the factory window frames in and the entire sleeper has been completely worked by removing all the huck bolts and sanded down to flat.

  41. #41Fastdirt2014-11-17 23:52

    Some pictures flipped but I wanted to show the rear frame and fender brackets. They did a good job with the fender brackets and filled the frame holes. The cab, frame and rear fenders are going to paint as soon as the sleeper and doors are done.... they said.....but since it's been 3 months already who knows. I was told 2 months turn key. They work is good and the painter is supposed to be the best around so we will see. I had carried all my parts to them for them to install which was a trailer full and all of that work was in my original estimate but they have 25 bays full of greener money I guess. I loaded it all up tonight because I can finish it faster and I just can't take it anymore. I'm sick of seeing this hood like this but it really looks good and has been prepped right. The frame and all should be painted the next time I see it. Here's all my stuff again. That was a job alone.

  42. #4290plow2014-11-18 21:19

    Looks like an awesome project. Looks expensive!!!!

  43. #43joispoi2014-11-19 07:22

    Thanks for the pics. (Is this the most followed 379 project truck on the net? :notworthy) There's always someone who can do a job faster (or cheaper). It's not as easy to find someone who can do it right. Think of it this way, the added time will give you a chance to finish the extension on your garage so you can park it inside. :cool2

  44. #44Fastdirt2014-11-20 00:20

    Thanks. The reality is the project simply escalated due to the fact that I dropped it off in Dec. 2013 and now we are at a year. Being that it took so long allowed for all of it to happen. In the beginning I was expecting a couple months in the shop to just shorten the wheelbase throw a 36" sleeper on it and hook it to the trailer and go to work. Now it is going to be worthy of a resto mod. So in the end the truck is going to be completely restored and modified whereas it would have never gotten done if the original scope of work was completed on schedule and correct. It is definitely the "most" something... I'd have to go with the most cursed. Lol, did I already mention extending the garage... my good friend happens to be a carpenter. He is self employed and has the whole mobile setup. He can pull out nail guns, compressors, saws, and tool belts in 30 minutes. He is coming Saturday morning. We should have the extension enclosed, roofed, and with barn doors and holding heat in no time. As soon as the paint dries and the hood and doors are mounted on the truck I'm picking it up. Yesterday he painted the hood. Base, 3906 Clear Coat, and baked. Cell phone pics The original fender steps spent their life behind those stainless stone guards. The Peterbilt replacements are more streamlined.

  45. #45AlldayRJ2014-11-20 20:06

    Are you on instagram? You would love it, tons of sick trucks like this and truckers who take pride in their ride. If you join follow me, rjfalconemasonry

  46. #46Sawdus222014-11-20 20:34

    I agree instagram is the bomb. I look at it all the time...it's so entertaining. Fastdirt look into it....I miss seeing your pictures and its way easier uploading them.

  47. #4702Dmax2014-11-20 21:05

    Love seeing progress fastdirt! Nothing like finally building something the way you want. I think I'm going to get instagram too. Lol

  48. #48Fastdirt2014-11-21 21:01

    I signed up for instagram this morning. It IS very easy. Loading pics here is torture. It takes me hours to post here. I have to resize every picture and then I have doubles all over my PC because I have the standard size and the HEF size. I like the instagram minus all that shallow pop culture mess. Instagram is lightning fast. I signed up as brianbilt. I captured some shots this morning then got away to check on the pete and back to the job. I feel like kimkartrashian now. LOL. The sleeper is getting painted tomorrow. Then the cab and chassis on Tuesday. They have to paint the rear fenders too. They used factory Peterbilt black. They have to reskin my doors now. At first the body man cut new skins out of scrap. I just didn't realize he had just slapped them on top of my old skins. I discovered it last week. Called them out on it and they have new factory skins coming. Jeez....... never again. I swear I am going to open a custom rig build shop here.... somebody should. http://instagram.com/brianbilt

  49. #49nedly052014-11-22 10:26

    I just started doing Instagram my self. User name is nedwhitney. Glad to be able to follow you guys on there!

  50. #50Mark132014-11-22 11:13

    I'm also on instagram as markm_13

  51. #51Fastdirt2014-11-23 08:21

    The painter sent these pics yesterday after painting the sleeper.

  52. #52Fastdirt2014-11-23 08:40

    The paint shop said they will be finished with the paint the week after thanksgiving. I have extended my shop by 8' so it will fit in there secured and dry. My friend really helped me out on this one. He is coming back to build the roof on Wednesday. Roll up doors are very affordable I've just discovered so that will take care of sealing it off. I will find a cheap roll of carpet to put down too. I will be setting everything on this truck myself, fuel tanks, step boxes, the 8" exhaust from the manifold, air tanks, etc.. everything really. Still have to plumb the air ride and wire and plumb the pintle hitch. I will be all under that thing so I think a roll of carpet will keep things like the fuel tanks safe and my back.

  53. #53Blk prince2014-11-26 12:14

    Fast dirt,how are things going been watching from afar? Do you get nasty winter weather in your part of the country?

  54. #54sfrs42014-11-27 03:07

    would love to see the instagram pictures but the link doesn't work and I can't find that user name either? EDIT Ahhhhh found you. the extra bit helps

  55. #55Fastdirt2015-01-18 11:29

    After 13 months in the shop it's finally home. I finished the addition on the garage. It's enough to fit the truck in there with the hood open. I put carpet down and wired a 240v heater and it turned out pretty good. I have a lot of work left but it's all in good hands finally.

  56. #56Fastdirt2015-01-18 11:54
  57. #57Fastdirt2015-01-18 12:04
  58. #58AlldayRJ2015-01-19 12:28

    Incredible. Any plans on a dump trailer or strictly lowboy duty?

  59. #59Fastdirt2015-01-19 13:13
  60. #60joispoi2015-01-19 14:40

    It's looking really good.

  61. #61Fastdirt2015-01-19 18:31

    Installing the Midwest visor.

  62. #62Landclearer2015-01-25 11:48

    Hey Fastdirt, I missed your post until now. Man that looks good. The paint job is amazing and polished aluminum is going to set it off for sure. I am looking forward to seeing it in the sunlight once it is 100%

  63. #63hvy 1ton2015-01-26 21:17

    Never seen a 2 piece visor before. Good idea on usinig the GoPro mount to would up the middle.

  64. #64Fastdirt2015-01-26 23:32

    Welcome to my nightmare.... and thanks. I should wake up from this soon... I too would love to see it in the sunlight lol. I used the suction cup after mounting the side temporarily just to see how it'd look roughly. It's a tough job solo to do a visor but possible. I had help here and there but I've mounted it about four times. Had to remove four huck pins. Two on each side. Hate that I had to practice visor mounting techniques on my brand new paint job. It's just part of the nightmare. Should've been mocked at the shop. I have been visor searching for a long time. This was my favorite. I noticed before buying it that it would look different on various 379's. It reveals the huck pins above the window unless forced, then it kicks it all out. The verdict is still out. I am not afraid to replace it, but I have already drilled out the huck pins.

  65. #65Fastdirt2015-02-01 22:54

    I've got all three air tanks mounted and plumbed. I used the stainless straps to replace the u-bolt mounts. I also used some heavy nylon strap cut to fit for a pad between the aluminum tanks and steel bracket it mounts up to. I don't think the factory used anything and it showed on the back side of the tanks. New belts and fan clutch rebuild kit. Since we installed a larger 5 core radiator there is no room to remove the clutch without removing the radiator. So I will be getting into that soon. I had ordered a rear sleeper window months ago. I was given a clear window but Peterbilt luckily swapped it out for a tinted window just last week. Also there is the down pipes that came with the complete exhaust kit from 4State. New fan, new rear window weather strip, and new weather stripping for all three doors. Replaced the trans cooler and I'm removing the cooling lines to be replaced. I'll have to have those built since Peterbilt says they don't sell replacements because they have rebuildable fittings.... that's what I was told. The bottom of the sleeper was undercoated while it was off the truck to be painted.

  66. #66Fastdirt2015-02-01 23:28

    Got the windows tinted and re installed the peep window with the proper black trim. The shop had put universal trim in there that had a chrome insert and was cut to fit revealing a gap where the ends met. The peep window came with the Outlaw Customs one piece window conversion kit. Also mounting the strapless air cleaner mounts. I removed all the heater and A/C lines that went to the 63" sleeper. Also removed the brackets that went to the frame. I will have to repaint the frame there since I cleaned all the junk up. The front airbag lines were installed with a 90 and the lines were ran through a drilled hole by the shop so they don't loop over the top of the frame. Should clean the look up. I have the new windshield washer tank also. I am going to re paint the motor and firewall. Also going to polish the valve covers because the 3406E uses aluminum covers. Also plan to polish anything possible like the a/c and alternator. I am removing the upper brace mounted above the valve covers that support the radiator support arms. I will brace the radiator to the frame instead. Need to relocate the coolant filter. I'll be replacing the exhaust manifold with an upgrade from PDI or similar. The Cat 7205 turbo will be replaced with a bigger turbo also. Then bigger injectors to work with the re flashed ECM. Does anybody have any input or advice on my plan to swap the 10 speed for an 18 speed. LKQ sells rebuilt 18 speed transmissions. I have zero experience in removing and replacing this trans with an 18. I can possibly have my mobile mechanic do it here while I help or I can wait till it's done and have the shop do it but I'd rather get it over with before mounting the exhaust and fuel tanks and the passenger side box. Are the 18 speed Eaton Fullers universal I will have to go with a RTLO18918 or more so the 18 speed rated for 2000 lbs torque or more. That number might be a an RTLO20918 maybe. I've learned the first two numbers represent the torque rating x's 100 and the last two "18" represent the speeds. Can't remember what the middle number represents. What will it take to convert to an 18 speed?

  67. #67Fastdirt2015-02-02 01:06

    Forgot to post this. Just when you think you're crazy somebody else makes you feel normal. This is one of the biggest truck projects ever created. This shop is about two miles from here and they will fix it all. They are not scared of anything. I have been following this project for years. It's going on six years. It's key features are a V8 Detroit supercharged and turbocharged running through a 15 speed to a 4WD transfer case. Everything is hand built. It's air bagged, the steps raise, the bed lowers like a roll off to pick up the Harley, screaming Jake brake, etc. etc. on and on. I went up there to drop of my truck this week and shot some pics. It will all be disassembled and painted and polished. All the bars will be line-X'ed flush to the diamond plate. I'll get better shots soon. But it is just a phenomenal feat for one man to build all this completely by himself. He has hand cut everything. No cheating CAD here. The suspension work is amazing. Custom five link on both ends. Can't wait to see it at a show. He has his sights set on a cover shoot. He made a cover shoot 15 years ago with an F350 running a Detroit and a Eaton trans. And here is a super cool lowboy that just sold for 9k on auctiontime.. I am very much interested in this trailer. It came from Keen as a scraper transport. I would ditch the dolly and just load one machine on it. It would be great for those tight jobs. You could off load off the tail or cut some timbers to brace the frame and side load due to the drop deck if there is enough room. I think the 312 would fit perfect. I like the short length and just prefer a drop deck to keep the COG down. Maybe another will surface one day.

  68. #68movindirt2015-02-03 22:51

    Thats a cool little lowboy, how long was the well on it? I wonder if it would scale out right as short as it is?

  69. #69Fastdirt2015-02-21 00:39

    Movindirt, I don't know the exact specs on the trailer. I swear some of the trailers out there have no trail or details anywhere online. I've searched this trailer and anything like it and can't come up with anything. I'd call Etnyre but only if I was ready to buy one and another came available. This trailer seemed like a good deal and definitely unique. Glad you brought up the weight. I'd guess that trailer at 7 tons or less and I'd think I'd be clear with a 15 ton load but you never know.

  70. #70Fastdirt2015-02-21 01:08

    I'm not going to mount the Midwest visor. It's for sale if they won't return it. I don't think it fits worth a flip IMO. I am going to have one made by Built by Bub. He will custom make to my likes. I got my one piece mirror frames from him and am really happy with them and the attention he gives me. It might take three weeks on this though. I removed all the wheels and tires. Sold the drive tires, louvered grille, and the old front bumper so that was nice. Still have the rest of the take off parts up for sale. I should get the new tires soon. I finally got the transmission today and it was a good experience. They sold me an RTLO20918 18 speed, resurfaced flywheel, heavy duty 2050 lb. clutch, pilot, fork and shaft, shift knob with airlines, and the gasket for the shifter. The even offered me an old shaft for an alignment tool but I forgot to grab it. I am thinking about doing the rear engine seal while I'm in there too. They said I will need to have my driveshaft shortened 3.5".

  71. #71Multiracer2015-02-21 07:32

    Very cool project. Please keep the information coming as we are all interested in what you are doing and how you are doing it.

  72. #72clintm2015-02-26 21:58

    be careful with that thing on jack stands like that we would hate to see pics of it on the floor. don't get to comfortable and start climbing around on it like that and knock it off the stands

  73. #73"acidoil"2015-02-27 10:01

    This is a very cool that you are doing this. I have followed your post and know you clean up your equipment and keep it at level I have never seen. The is going to be one nice truck when you get it on the road. I bet most will think its a new tricked Glider. For you it will be like driving your Classic Corvette Show car to work everyday. Keep the updates coming. John

  74. #74Fastdirt2015-02-28 01:36

    Thanks, Multi. I hope to keep it interesting. It should be picking up in progress now. acidoil, thanks. I definitely share your thoughts. I think this truck will be like a classic and a glider. It's going to be tough to work out of it especially on a day when it pours down rain on us and we have to load up. That can get pretty messy. I hope to keep it really clean for a few months at first. Finally just got the Moto Mirrors I ordered a month ago. I didn't know they were made to order until I went to purchase them. Being able to adjust the mirrors has definitely been part of the master plan of making it as easy as possible to drive. They came with a joystick that controls both sides and heat. I really like the looks of them. I think they will look good with the big stacks and strapless air cleaners for a smooth look. I got the ECM back. This is something I'm really looking forward to feeling in the seat. I was researching ECM re rates long before I bought the truck. I got connected with the right guy who re flashes these ECM's. It is now set at 600HP and 2050 lbs. torque along with pre nox files and/or whatever he did. I don't know the exacts but I trust him completely and was told it was as hot as it could get. I have the Power Box still hooked up but we'll see how it runs on the new flash alone. The good thing is you can leave the power box off. About to pull the 10 speed out. I've already removed the shifter, driveshaft, and lines. I got this jack from Harbor Freight. It's rated for 1 ton and looks pretty stout. The trans should be just under 1/2 ton. Gonna be tough I know.

  75. #75clintm2015-02-28 09:35

    there you go under the truck screwing with it on the jack stands at least lay some old rims under the wheels or something not trying to be a ***** just don't want to read about you !!!!!

  76. #76overworked2015-02-28 09:59

    We have used the same jack on occasion, make sure u strap trans to the jack, better off with a sheet of tin on that plywood, and a stream of it out from under the truck. Good or luck.

  77. #77Rustedcutlery2015-03-01 11:27

    Fast dirt, Iv been thinking about the 12ga customs air ride steer axle setup for my truck, I need to do something to get it to ride better, probably needs shocks too. When you get her rolllin, Inwould like to hear your thoughts on yours.

  78. #78still learn'n2015-03-01 14:09

    And here is a super cool lowboy that just sold for 9k on auctiontime.. I am very much interested in this trailer. It came from Keen as a scraper transport. I would ditch the dolly and just load one machine on it. It would be great for those tight jobs. You could off load off the tail or cut some timbers to brace the frame and side load due to the drop deck if there is enough room. I think the 312 would fit perfect. I like the short length and just prefer a drop deck to keep the COG down. Maybe another will surface one day. View attachment 130302 View attachment 130303 View attachment 130304 [/QUOTE] Fastdirt there is a contractor around here that has an older triaxle lowboy that has ramps on it but I don't know what brand it is

  79. #79Fastdirt2015-03-01 20:15

    Well I got it out. Thanks for the insight and cautions. I'll definitely have it strapped tight to the jack before I install the other trans overworked. When I went to use the chain it was too short. I had some help from a cargo strap. It was not too bad but it wasn't easy either. I'll let you know all about the air ride Rusted. I have not been able to get actual ride or lift info on the setup myself. I'll post it up when it's done. 12 ga. is not much help I will say. Still learn the trailer caught my attention because of it's short length, low height, along with the rear tail and at a great auction price. Finding a rear beaver tail is rare on a drop deck or detach. Eager Beavers have quite a few out there but not many. Premium price for those usually. The Pete Suite couldn't be an inch smaller really. Got lucky here. Glad to see this.

  80. #80arielcastillo2015-03-26 19:18

    What a fantastic work! , here in my country ( Argentina ) only we have Mercedes Benz , some Volvo's and Scania , but i love Peterbilts , when i travel to usa i take a lot of pictures of trucks on the road.

  81. #81Fastdirt2015-04-22 22:00

    I have made a pretty big move under the hood. Truck came with a 3406E 475hp 14.6 liter 6TS. Well I now have a 3406E 600HP 15.8 liter. I am going to max this one out. I have new Cat 59 injectors and a 1000 HP Cat marine cam. Also a PDI honed exhaust manifold and a PDI harmonic balancer. I have PDI building a compound turbo setup that has to be pre paid and takes 3 to 4 weeks. That should be here mid May. They are also re mapping the ECM to fit the turbos, injectors etc.. I already had my other ECM flashed as hot as it can go by one of the setup guys so it'll be interesting to swap them out and compare It will be over 1000 HP when it hits the road. I'm really looking forward to this because I have worked my tail off to make this a reality.... but if it blows to pieces I can only blame myself. I trust myself though... it's not like I'm going to be pulling 80k plus up mountains all day anyway. My setup will only be 65K locally about 20K miles a year and pulling a gooseneck here and there for fun. I bought the motor from Richard Kerns which is the same place I bought the 18 speed from. They had several Cat motors to choose from. I was really convinced that the 6NZ was the was the one to have. Everybody raves about them. There were several 14.6L 6NZ's, 15.2L Accerts, 1LW, etc. etc. and just one 15.8L 3406E. I spent two hours there just straining my brain on whether to get that 6NZ.. I went against the grain and left with the 15.8L. Well I think the 5DS is more suiting for my truck keeping this thing unique. I've talked for hours with the guys who are internet famous with these Cat motors and they've seen it all and done it all with these Cat motors. Many dyno and real world runs. Before I bought the 379 I knew I was going to raise the HP substantially. I did all my research and the truck had to have a 475/550 Cat. I learned then you could get those motors to build crazy power and not worry about the pistons because some of the lower HP motors have aluminum pistons compared to steel pistons. Well apparently the 6TS is only capable to around 850 safely without risking block damage. The 5DS block will handle the 1000+ HP setups like a 6NZ c15 so here I am. Once I get it running and working everyday I really want to put this other 3406E in my L9000 but I need the parts from a 3406 equipped L9000. That's one thought anyway. Many to choose from. Didn't miss a beat that day.

  82. #82Fastdirt2015-04-22 22:26

    Got the motor in safe. I've got some wheels on the truck now so I can roll it out. I'll remove the hood then possibly I'll swap engines with my excavator on a sunny day. I am probably going to get a mobile Cat mechanic to come and install the cam, injectors, balance, flywheel, etc.. I hopefully can pester him for info while he's here. I don't know exactly what to do here. The oil pump and tubes need installing. I don't know if I should mount the trans to the block and try to install it at once. He should be able to lead me in the right info. Now I just need the time to do it all and make it happen. I'm going to have to get a super heavy duty clutch now too.

  83. #83lumberjack2015-04-22 22:59

    Wow! That seems both amazing and nuts!

  84. #84Rustedcutlery2015-04-23 08:47

    If you don't mind me asking, what's a 15.8 going for these days? And I'm assuming those are all rebuilt?

  85. #85JDOFMEMI2015-04-23 13:07

    You are really doing it up nice. I don't know, but I would ask about the marine cam. See where the torque curve is on it. As I said, I do not know, but I suspect a marine engine is designed to run at constant rpm, and may not have a torque rise as rpm drops to let you pull a grade. With enough power I am sure you will overcome that, but it may be a driveability issue. Be sure to check with the knowledgeable builders you are in contact with. I wish I had a dyno run from my truck before it was detuned by the Cat dealer back to the factory 550 hp spec. It was a monster before. Running 126,000 gross, I now pull hills at 30 to 35 that I used to pull at 52 to 55. On the other hand, I am sure it will last longer this way, as will all the components behind the engine. It sure was fun to drive though, as I am sure yours will be, and even more with the small loads you are going to pull. I miss my hot rod truck. It was nice to be hauling a D-8R or a Cat 330C and run the hammer lane up the big hills passing all but the empty trucks. It was set up right, and could be run hard without the egt getting out of hand.

  86. #86Sterff2015-04-23 15:51

    I think you will like the 15.8. If all else fails put a C18 in it...

  87. #87CaptainAnalyzer2015-04-23 17:18
  88. #88Fastdirt2015-04-25 12:34

    Amazing maybe... nuts definitely. It should work out......:dizzy All of those pictured sell for $8500 plus $3000 core charge. The 15.8 did not come with a turbo whereas the others did. New rod and main bearings are replaced in all engines they sell and they are checked out and guaranteed for 6 months I think maybe 3 can't remember and free labor if it does need rebuild by chance. It's a good place to do business with. Cat Power said not to bring it in because even without turbo, injectors, cam, balancer and manifold included in the rebuild price that they would still charge $15,000+. They said Kerns has a good reputation and to just run it. I've seen Cat engines go from $20k to $40k rebuilt. My truck had a $28,000 Cat rebuild at one point where the owner had to get a second mortgage Ah yes you've lived the dream. I have yet to do it. I started in a 425hp 379 right before the E model came out but that was just a tease moving a 953 here and there. I've been power starved in every job I've ever had and I've only pulled just to get the digger to the dirt. I'm not a trucker really. I've been passed by a D8 lowboy while pulling a 15ton in a 400hp Granite. I get passed by everything and it sucks because it is dangerous to be underpowered and extremely nerve racking. I went to Chattanooga Thursday for two digs and just got back late last night. I was so wound up driving that ole 9000. I just held it down to 2000 rpms maxed out at near 70 in top gear downhill but in the 50's up the big hills. It's very stressful but I shouldn't complain really. It's comfortable speed is 63 mph but a hill will kill you if you don't string it out before the hill and if you can see the hill it's too late to get in front of the boost. It'll just die out. I had to downshift a couple times. Took a long time to wind down once I got home. Well a Hendricks suspension and a tag a long doesn't help either. Why did you detune... the story all over the internet is that Cat will flash your ECM with the NOX files and epa crap that will make your 550 struggle. I sent my original ECM off to a guy who puts the pre nox files in there with a 600hp 2050tq file. I think that's safe if that's all you do. They design motors to live at full load 95% percent of their life but yeah you're right about reliability but if you are smart about it that's different than an employee just hammering down at all times. PDI does an expensive re map but these guys can re flash to a pre nox file. He did mine much cheaper than PDI but since I have two now I want to try PDI and compare. Those same Cat guys that I'm referring too will do your ecm with great results. They also said to just buy the cam from Cat direct because PDI is selling a stage 1 cam and a stage 2 cam but the secret is they are just the CAT 800hp marine cam and the 1000hp marine cam. Obviously Cat didn't sell truck motors over 625 but they have many 3406e/c15/c16 engines in industrial and marine applications that are up around 800 and 1000. They don't have the stress a D8 has on an engine up the Rocky's. Its not near as mountainous here as it there or even up in Tennessee and above that..Kentucky etc. It's scary in the big hills IMO. Be glad to give you their # That's an awesome set up. Wonder how it really works. Don't hear anybody running twins but that's obviously a show truck by looks of the detail. Also hear the C18 is the same block s the C15 and C16 True twins there. I'm going compound to not have turbo lag. Awesome picture Man if he hadn't painted the power steering reservoir and lines it would've really looked liked a tear away paint job. I've thought of doing a big rectangle glass or plexi glass panel on the hood sides with back lighting. It was just a thought. The ideas those show guys put into those 1/4mil$ rigs is truly nuts! It's almost painful to see the top show trucks and think how. Guess they really have that much money.

  89. #89CaptainAnalyzer2015-04-25 20:16

    I agree man, the power steering lines really killed it.

  90. #90Landclearer2015-04-26 12:39

    I will agree with you on the nuts but that is what makes it fun! That is going to be awesome truck once you are done. I am afraid you will want to keep it in the shed and not get it dirty I look forward to all the updates on this so keep them coming. If you get it out of the shed, a good side view pic would be nice.

  91. #91JDOFMEMI2015-04-26 14:21

    Fastdirt I never planned on having it reflashed. We had an injection pump issue, and made the mistake of taking it to the local Cat dealer, who we get great service from on our yellow iron, and having it worked on. They were to repair the injection pump, run the overhead, and if I recall, we had bearings rolled in as it was at about 450K miles. When it came back, my driver asked what happened to the truck, so I went for a drive, and called the service department to find out what happened. They said that by law they had to update all ecm's on all trucks in for service or some sh--- like that. I don't remember what else they said, as I was seeing red by that time. I never looked into putting it back, as the hired drivers could not handle it anyway. Now I am the only driver again, but the truck has too many hard miles to put the power back up safely without a lot of other work that needs done. Now with CARB, the truck, and therefore me as sell, are outlaws anyway, so it is not getting anything but the bare minimum spent on it. I stopped in KW to price a new compliant truck that would match specs with what I have, and it would push up close to $200K. I guess I will be an outlaw for a while.

  92. #92Fastdirt2015-04-29 23:57

    Jerry I guess carb is in full affect now. I thought it was 2016. What does it mean you can get a ticket..fine...shut down? What year truck do you have to have to be compliant? Guess nobody will buy your truck it in CA. That's got to be hard on you to deal with that. Update. Well this was a fun day. I've got the motor out. If anybody has any advice I'll take it. This is a first time doing a swap like this for me. I got the oil pan, oil pump, pickup tubes, flywheel, flywheel housing, clutch, and front motor mount off the original motor. Now I have to get all that on the other motor. They provided an oil pump but mine is a Cat that should interchange. Besides that I realize that I will need an oil pan gasket, flywheel housing gasket, already have a new rear seal. I will need a rear seal installer. I will need to torque the flywheel to spec and the housing,clutch, and everything else. Unless I just tighten by feel. I hate torque wrenches. I still have to install the cam and injectors. I think that will require some special tools. Might be a good time to get the mobile Cat mechanic here. I will at least get the gaskets tomorrow. I am ready to get this thing done. I think we made good progress today. I also don't know if I should mount the trans to the engine and install it all at once, sure seems like that would be easier on me. Not sure how the balance will work out though using the forks on the Takeuchi. Gravel drive and a skid steer LOl. The hood was not fun at all either. I have a new Eaton HD clutch but have been told these 15.8L blocks build an enormous amount of torque over 850rwhp and I'll need a custom clutch. I'll follow up on that tomorrow because I've got to get the thing back in one piece asap. I built a stand for the hood to sit on. I also built a pallet to lift the hood. None of that worked out and I just ended up doing it like the shops do. Opened the hood up to face the grille down on a pallet covered with blankets. Also those are the 22.5 lo pro's off of the lowboy I had to throw on it. They are so small compared to tall 24.5's I took several videos of all the stuff I unhooked. Labeled everything I could. There is a lot of stuff connected to stuff. More than I thought like air lines running to the block, the fuel pump, the fuel regulator, on and on. A lot of stuff.

  93. #93big ben2015-04-30 01:18

    Wow love the project and ambition to do it all !!!!! Question why do you say you hate torque wrenches ???? Not really a whole lot of tooling required for the work listed other than rear seal installer, torque wrench, injector height gauge and feeler gauges (for a valve set). If you are going to get Cat to do some work have the rear housing on or ready and get them to bring the seal installer and press the seal in. The cam is easy to do as it is an overhead cam, and injectors have 2 wires and a hold down bolt and they come out and opposite going back in. Ensure any fuel that goes down the injector hole into the cylinder when the injector is removed is sucked out before installing new injectors. Be very careful when installing the cam to get the timing correct, need to torque valve train and injectors. Then do a quick valve set/check with the valve train torqued back in place and set /check injector height. P.S. - Get 6 new injector hold down bolts - Do not reuse especially with the HP mentioned Good luck

  94. #94Fastdirt2015-05-01 00:45

    Thanks big ben I'm no mechanic but I have worked on so much stuff in my life. I've done several engine swaps in my lifetime starting from a Snapper LT11 Briggs motor onto my go-cart at age 12, then a 302 into a 4runner at age 18, many 351C, 429's, etc. into old Fords. I have never done a diesel swap until now. I have gone overboard on many builds from 4x4's to dirt bikes. Way too many clutch and differential replacements too. I am tired of it but can't stop for some reason. It seems I love to fix everything up. Guess that stems from not buying newer stuff. My experience with torque wrenches is that sometimes they seem like they click before I think they are tight. Just a personal control freak problem LOL. I think that you need the most expensive one to trust it. Like I said I am not a mechanic and give true mechanics all the respect in the world. I am amazed by the knowledge, skill, and shear determination of professional heavy diesel mechanics. I think they have priceless knowledge. The guys that I have been robbing information from on this build have seen these motors limits first hand. They have seen and done what works and what fails. Failures on dyno runs and real world runs. Going on there advise is why I'm swapping to the stronger 5DS block compared to my 6TS block. I could take it to one of those guys just a state away but since this truck was in three different shops for 13 months I can't let it out of my sight till it's done. Once it's done I'll loosen up a bit but not just yet. So I have a Cat mechanic coming here on Monday. They don't usually do field work out of the Cat truck division but I've pleaded for their help and they have made this happen. I told them about needing the injectors bolts and they agreed. They might've said seals too but I can't remember exactly. They quoted about $1000 for the day with travel. Worth it to me. I cannot set a cam or injectors and don't want to learn on my personal engine really. Nor the valve settings. Just don't have the experience. I'm excited about them coming and will watch everything he does to learn how to set valves, injectors, cam, etc.. I'll feel good about it then maybe. I just hope he doesn't get bothered by me asking a million questions. All that which you said above about setting timing, checking valves, etc. boggles my mind because I am a seeing is doing person. Until I see it done first hand I cannot for the life of me comprehend it fully. That's why I'm not an office person and have to work with my hands. I cannot comprehend things I cannot see and feel and be instructed on at the same time. I appreciate all the advice. It just let me know how serious it is. I'm sure you could do it blind folded:notworthy

  95. #95Fastdirt2015-06-22 23:40

    I took the 3406E 5DS motor back and exchanged it for a C15 6NZ motor which requires a different flywheel housing, oil pan and ECM. That stuff is pricey so I turned my original 3406E 6TS core motor in along with the housing, oil pan and ECM in exchange for the C15 parts. Had to get a harness adapter from Cat since the ECM's are different. After having it home for a couple days I decided to go with a new 6NZ crate motor from Cat. This was the day of the 2nd exchange. On the left is the 5DS and my 6TS on the right. The 6NZ is in the background. Then the fourth and final motor to be here. Got the crate motor home and have to put the core back in the crate. This is before getting started on removing everything off of the old block. I have stripped every single part, bolt, nut, hose, etc. down to bare metal.

  96. #96Fastdirt2015-06-23 00:15

    Maybe 200 bolts I've run on the bench wire wheel. I oil the threads before using them and will paint them after torqued down. This is what every parts looks like after I strip it. Boring and tedious work. Oil pan is up and will be done tomorrow. Had to expand the shop a bit too for this work. So many parts involved in this long block swap. Glad to get the flywheel housing on. I bought a rear seal installer from Cat. I bought the Cat manual and it's been a bit of help. Once I have all the parts on I am going to mix up the paint and spray it to seal it up. The compound turbo kit came in from PDI. It came with a few tubes, lines, and the mount. The small turbo is a Borg Warner with a wastegate. The bigger turbo is a Perkins. They have custom flanges welded on a few ends. The long block does not come with injectors but does have the cam which I'll be swapping out tomorrow and installing the new injectors.

  97. #97CaptainAnalyzer2015-06-24 05:57

    Looking real good!

  98. #98Rustedcutlery2015-07-05 14:42

    Maybe I missed it, but why did you decide to go the 6nz route over the 5ds?

  99. #99Fastdirt2015-07-07 22:00

    I just didn't have a good feeling going with a used motor for this. Both are great motors though. I set the injectors and installed the cam and pretty much every thing else here. In the middle of one last battle and that's the firewall and engine bay prep and painting.

  100. #100clintm2015-07-08 10:31

    so what are going to buy for a work truck to pull your lowboy because you are not going want to get this show truck/hot rod dirty every day (P.S. I've got a 2001 379 day cab 60 series 8LL that I could part with )

  101. #101Rustedcutlery2015-07-08 15:39

    Woof! Talk about engine porn.

  102. #102IronworkerFXR2015-07-14 14:15

    WoW, what a long story here, a street truck named desire. where do you get all the energy to pull this off?, and that first paint job made me sick, I could of done better painting it in the middle of a sand pit in a wind storm !. Nice work , keep it rolling ..

  103. #103Fastdirt2015-07-14 17:13

    Thanks. Desire? huh... it's possible. I was thinking "Dig Rig" and then the emotions come into play and I want to name it "nightmare" or "patience". I don't know just yet. Yes it is an overwhelming amount of work and I have to force myself to put one foot in front of the next and keep going at this point but I get motivated every single day when I have to drive my gutless L9000 and hold up traffic and get abused. Heck I get overtaken on solid yellow lines on my own street clintm, I'll trade you a dump truck for that 379

  104. #104Fastdirt2015-07-14 17:31

    Getting started on this project during the evenings. This took a lot of work. I decided to paint it late Thurs evening and my gun was clogged. So I ran to Home Depot and bought a cheapo gun. It turned out bad. I have sanded it all down again and removed the steering arm, wheels and anything else that wasn't attached. It's ready for paint again. I might just do the firewall in a flat paint.

  105. #105Fastdirt2015-07-14 17:50

    I have 100's of pics of this project here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78974007@N04/ We talked about the steering arm needing trimmed to clear the 12 Gauge air bags in another thread here and the guy said he had good luck with 12Ga. 12 Gauge has horrible customer service and is painful to deal with. They sent me a KW visor and I still have it. You call during business hours and are forced to voicemail and nobody EVER calls you back. I have their strapless air cleaner mounts, a visor , and the Gen 3 air ride kit. $3K is not enough to get their time and respect. Never knew I had to cut this arm.. I just figured it out myself no thanks to them. Guess you need to have them build a $220K Glider to get their attention. Can't stand business who treat paying customers like that.

  106. #106clintm2015-07-14 20:22

    Dirty desires,Dirty Money,Diesel addiction, Dirty la piscina $$ on the dump truck ifs it's got a dog on the hood pre2007 allison auto 400+ I"am planning on coming through hot lanta next week I can drop it off for you hell I can even take it to my neighbor ( the cat ecm man in midland) and get him to polish it up for you he done my CTP last week

  107. #107Fastdirt2015-07-15 15:23

    What is a CTP? You are supper lucky to have him as a neighbor. He has been advising me on the Cat big blocks since before I bought the truck two years ago. He is a good ole boy and works super hard. I almost took my project to him. He sold me on the compounds vs. single turbo. Good guy... surprised he'll let you pull that Detroit on the yard LOL. He also flashed my last ecm. Good guy who will give you priceless experience advise... but he ain't for small talk. Very straight up.

  108. #108nedly052015-07-16 06:11

    Are you going to put this truck back to work? Its absolutely beautiful! I really admire how thorough you are with everything.Do you still have the lowboy?

  109. #109Fastdirt2015-07-17 21:58

    Thanks Ned. I still have the lowboy. It's been painted for a year and half now just sitting there. I actually robbed the wheels off of it and have them on the Peterbilt temporarily. I am still going to buy a shorty lowboy that has a dropped deck with a beavertail on 22.5's. Hard to find that combo though. I might buy that scraper trailer I've been eyeing and scrap the dolly. Firewall, frame and stuff turned out good. It's glossy and should keep clean up there for a few years. I will have to give the Takeuchi, myself and my helpers some credit here. It was tight and all new paint. We had to move the truck back about 25' from our first attempt where the grade was slightly not in our favor and it was tipsy. Once we got on a little better grade that was more in our favor the Tak would balance. Got to give my guy credit for coming up with chain idea to support the fork end as he was telling about breaking a fork at his last job. Plus it kept it from flexing and gave me perfect control with the angle and all. It was the most I've sweated all year without a shovel in my hand. The forks came less than an inch from the firewall. Glad that's over. Now it's all contained back in the garage and ready to assemble. Heading to Home Depot to get an A/C for the garage because I'll be in there a minute. It took the purchase of a heavy trans jack and forks to make it happen....but glad I didn't have to jack the trans in this time.

  110. #110nedly052015-07-18 07:09

    So how long do you figure before its back in action? What is the dolly you are thinking about scrapping?

  111. #111farmerlund2015-07-18 15:16

    Hey Fastdirt, Looks like one very nice truck build. I was interested in your thoughts on why you went with the compound turbo set up. Around here guys are going to single turbo. Claiming to get better MPG and nicer running truck. Looking forward to seeing the finished rig. (I am sure you are to) keep up the good work. Steve

  112. #112IronworkerFXR2015-07-18 17:55

    Looking good sitting in there !!!! its a milestone day !!

  113. #113Fastdirt2015-07-20 23:43

    Nedly, I can only go at slow pace because of all the detail I am doing. If my dump truck blew up tomorrow I could actually have the truck running in a few days but at this point it's going to be a month I'd say. The only big things left to buy are the tires and seats. The rest of it is here...although the truck appears to be stagnant it's getting real close. These Talbert scraper trailers are on Truckpaper now for $15k.. I could be beating up a dead tree but it looks perfect for my work and I could get that thing anywhere and I get in places often that my tag and dump can barely make. It's low which I love. I feel like I have to crawl around curves with a loaded tag a long.... which I'll be towing too. This Etnyre is from post #68 it sold on an online auction for $9500 Thanks, farmerlund. The single turbo is the way to go up to around 850hp. After that it requires such a big turbo that if you run just the single big turbo you will have turbo lag, unburnt fuel, and more heat. The big Perkins turbo would be used either way if you were going single or compound. Running the big Perkins in a single will peak more horsepower but not much more and the story from actual real world results is the compounds will out pull the single off the start and the response is just better. The fact that it will be less smokey with compounds and a bit cooler along with better response sold me vs. a peak dyno number. The small turbo is waste gated to allow it to free flow once the big turbo takes over. I am beyond ready to have it finished. It's just escalated so far that I could've never imagined it would go this far when I started.... but here we are for so many reasons good and bad. Thanks.. Huge milestone!!! I have lifted, transported, and worked four Cat motors at this point and since I set the engine I have jumped to other areas in need of a break in the engine department. It's all enclosed in the garage now and I installed an a/c unit over the weekend... Having a small garage is actually nice when it comes to cooling. Stays in the upper 70's barely but a huge contrast to the upper 90's heat index numbers outside. Oversized cool air charger from Dura Lite just came. It's a bit thicker and much taller. It's all aluminum so it's getting sanded and polished with a "respirator" on of course Ironworker Jacked the cab up to replace the body mounts. Being a unibilt it only has two body/cab mounts and the two airbags at the back of the sleeper. I did replace the motor mounts too before setting the engine. Need to go dig up some dollars now.... This has been an all consuming ordeal to say the least.

  114. #114clintm2015-07-26 11:46

    ctp 2007 mack granite no dpf now a GU. our families have known each other for years. he's always been that way you just have to know how to take him he's addicted to diesel smoke just like the rest of us:yup

  115. #115JDOFMEMI2015-08-01 19:13

    I am still following this build, and must say it is coming along nice. It is definitely a labor of love. I will be interested to see this through to completion. Thanks for sharing the details with us.

  116. #116Fastdirt2015-08-02 23:10

    Thank you Jerry. Believe it or not it's getting close. I've climbed the hill and it's all about to be down hill from here. Got the front steers mounted to the 24.5 Alcoa wheels that I bought a year ago. Went with Michelin XZA3 steer tires in the lo pro size. No I did not go with them undersized 22.5 lo pros. I like the 24.5 look better and they fill the fender well up better and this is a lowboy truck that will go off road. After coming three times the guys from Peachstate finally got the mirror frames hucked to the truck. It was yet another long spread effort to get it done right. The huck pins and rivets were pre painted. Huge difference in visibility without a crossbar and a vent window pillar. Part of the plan to make it the easiest possible driving experience. The 4 way Moto Mirrors are also part of that plan.

  117. #117Fastdirt2015-08-02 23:26

    My 379 was just like the L9000 before converting to a single window. I'm just using the picture to show the interference. Backing up on the passenger side in the morning or anytime is not easy because of the vent window pillar blocking your line of sight. The passenger gets a Moto Mirror too. Got a 5th wheel cover from Talladega Fiberglass which needs painting. Had a few other pics but they keep getting flipped upside down. Having the mirror frames on allows me to wire the windows and mirrors and the put the door panels on finally. I custom ordered the entire interior kit a year ago and it's been sitting since.

  118. #118Fastdirt2015-08-04 23:47

    Now the mirrors are officially mounted. Very excited about the Moto Mirrors. So much involved there. Just getting started on sound and thermal protection. I've used one bulk box and will need two more easily. It's Mojo Mat which I bought locally. Won't be long till I can put the new interior in.

  119. #119Fastdirt2015-08-05 00:10

    Dropped all hoses and fittings at Parker to get replaced. I went with stainless as much as I could but couldn't do the air brake lines in stainless. It's not DOT legal apparently and I'd never risk my freedom for that but I was deflated. I wanted stainless to the chambers but new hoses will suffice. This project is around two years now. This was two summers ago, about the last time I used it here. Oh was it nice. Can't wait and I have to pull my machine 100 miles out tomorrow and 100 miles back in the 8L L10 4:10 L9000. Patience....

  120. #120clintm2015-08-05 08:30

    just a little heads up on the mojo mat I put some in the front of our jeep tops and then stuck the head liners to it the foil came loose from the rubber and fell down I had to remove it and then restock the headliner directly to the roof.this was just about a week ago the foil was so hot on the inside that you could barely touch it . the top is fiberglass and is black outside and white on the inside . just make sure that don't try to stick any thing to the mojo mat

  121. #121JDOFMEMI2015-08-06 20:47

    For your brake lines, try a speed shop and get the braided stainless look alike sleeves that slip on. It won't quite be the real deal, but it will have the look, while staying legal.

  122. #122rockytopcummins2015-08-19 12:07

    You are correct. The C15/16/18 all share the same block and head. There was a discussion about this in a few other places. The compound picture came from Mike Reed's truck and it is indeed a C18. Rollin Transport, who has some AWESOME trucks, also has a 389 glider with a C18 in it. I'm glad I found this thread. I had wondered what happened with this truck. I was following it on your YouTube channel but either I lost your channel or you deleted it one of the two. I think the last vid I saw was just after it had been recovered when it got stolen.

  123. #123Fastdirt2015-08-19 21:06

    Thanks for the tip Jerry. I've thought about going that route.I got a lot of them done in just standard replacement hoses and fittings and have a few more to have made. I've done an engine or two in those stainless kits that cover the hoses but they never look straight and they appeared phony. Now I've sent all the intake, cooler, radiator and exhaust tubes to be ceramic coated. I'm really looking forward to getting those back. A guy I went to HS with has a business specializing in ceramic coatings, polishing, powder coating, chrome plating, etc. etc. http://www.bestmetalpolishingllc.com/ I've used them on a build before and was amazed with the work. Might take the CAC in to get polished instead of attempting myself along with the rest of the aluminum. I can't get anything done it seems because I'm always working or too tired because of working. A shot of the tubes before getting coated. Got the hood seal and other new parts. Still waiting on a few hoses and fittings. It seems I need just a few more things in order to get moving. It's all a process in my head I guess. Got visor number four and we must have had a miscommunication because I have been running from the bowtie visors ever since the visor hunt started. I want it straight across the bottom. So I'm sending it back and getting the Modified BVD visor. Straight at the bottom and the same as this one on the top which matches the shaved roof line perfect. It's hopefully not going to come down as far as this one because the inside view is horrible. .

  124. #124Fastdirt2015-08-19 21:29

    I bet that was a mess. I bet that stuff does get hot but I hope it keeps the noise and heat out. I went with HushMat Ultra now. Got a bulk box of 72 sq. ft. for the sleeper. Plus I'll be putting all the factory insulation on top of that. Yes sir there are some over the top trucks out there and they seem to get further from my taste as they stretch them and slam them but to each their own. Now I love them all don't get me wrong. Heck I like anything that is created. The powertrains in the show trucks are awesome I'll say. I will do some youtube vids when it's done Yes this truck was stolen and would you believe the dirt bag thief is free and posted a picture on his facebook page with a Peterbilt sitting in the same place in his side yard where I found my truck. The caption says "aint no feelin like petermobiling". He also claims he's a self employed owner operator and a member of the "left lane gang". This is my style. This young man dropped this 73,000 lb hoe off to me yesterday in the pouring rain. I used to never even look at a road tractor unless it was a daycab tri axle. My tastes have broadened a bit but I still only like lowboy tractors mainly. I plan on broadening my business into equipment transporting because of the passion I have for it.

  125. #125390eric2015-08-19 22:37

    Got to love those superliners.

  126. #126rockytopcummins2015-08-20 10:10

    Yes sir!!!! I learned to drive truck in one of those old "Dirty Dogs". The thing only had a five speed in it. That's one truck I think just doesn't look right with a sleeper on it.

  127. #127390eric2015-08-20 21:23

    I work occasionally on the side for a guy. He has 3 superliners And two magnums. His tri axle lowboy tractor is one of the magnums only seen it out of the garage a handful of times

  128. #128Fastdirt2015-08-20 22:54

    Yeah I like the ole truck. Sounds good and runs like a top. It was a much prettier day today when he came to pick up the machine. That cost me $500 each way. I'm going to get into equipment transport here in the future. rockytop, I feel you. I am a bit sentimental to 379's since that was the truck I first drove and took the test in. If it was a superliner or a KW things might be different today. Not all trucks look good with sleepers I have to agree but everything looks good as a day cab. The young man at 24 years old bought it at Ritchey. He was driving a much older Mack when he started a few years back. His family owns a sizable grading/pipe outfit. Well we wouldn't get mad if you wanted to share some pics of the trucks Eric

  129. #129Landclearer2015-08-21 17:04

    Hey FD, I wish you would hurry up with that Pete, the suspense is killing me I think anyone who likes trucks likes a Superliner. First tractor I drove was an old R model with 237 hp and a 5 speed.

  130. #130rockytopcummins2015-08-22 08:13

    I'd love to get into moving equipment myself. Problem is I don't have the "contacts" necessary to just jump in hand have income right away. I think that's one of those things that you have to already be in the business and know people or lease on with someone else which would involve being OTR. That's what I did while I was in the military and for a while after I got out before I hired on with the railroad. I really miss it but you can't beat the retirement/benefits with a stick. I really wish you had that thing running though. I'll be down there in Atlanta next weekend. I'm taking the wife to that Motley Crue concert and would love to see the truck.

  131. #131Nige2015-08-23 05:22

    Amazing the difference in moving equipment between continents ........... although to be fair we have to battle with overall length limits so cabovers rule the roost.

  132. #132lumberjack2015-08-23 09:55

    Funny considering y'all have some of the longest combinations in the world as well.

  133. #133GregsHD2015-08-23 12:58

    Are those Michelin men perched above the visor on that MAN? Wonder if they get a discount on rubber?

  134. #134Nige2015-08-23 13:20

    Gernally the only reason for something really long is when the weight is super-heavy. A standard articulated truck can run 100,000+ pounds gross weight on only 6 axles in the EU without falling foul of axle weight laws. However the same truck is limited to an overall length of 16.5 metres, a hair over 54 feet, so if you're hauling a standard 40ft bed trailer then you don't have much space left over for the tractor. They are indeed. Real pro's have them wired up to the truck lights so they are lit up at night - a bit like Christmas tree lights .......

  135. #135lumberjack2015-08-23 13:29

    I was thinking in Aussie.

  136. #136Nige2015-08-23 15:05

    Wrong continent I'm afraid.

  137. #137lumberjack2015-08-23 16:48

    Weren't you in Aussie before? Or did I have it all wrong?

  138. #138Nige2015-08-23 17:03

    No, no - the opposite side of the World. I'm in UK now, I was working in the Caribbean when I first joined HEF. Before that Latin America, Africa, & Asia. Believe it or not Australia is the only continent in the World I've never visited. I have worked a lot with Australians in the mining industry though.

  139. #139lumberjack2015-08-23 17:24

    Ah, I was all manner of twisted. I thought you were working in a mine on a continent you've never been to! Thanks for clarifying!

  140. #140FSERVICE2015-08-23 23:37

    what does a guy have to do to get a Michelin man like that? I have never saw 1 on this side of the creek!! that would make a nice conversation piece

  141. #141Dualie2015-08-24 01:33

    I think you have to have sandals and track pants to get one of those.

  142. #142Nige2015-08-24 07:56

    They're available on eBay in the US, maybe also on other sites like Amazon - this is just one example of an 18"-high one. There will be others that are smaller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MICHELI...T-BOX-TRUCK-/301721122214?hash=item463ffaf5a6

  143. #143Fastdirt2015-08-24 17:28

    LoL, I want to see this Michelin man on a Peterbilt. I'm sure it's been done several times. Nige it's strange that the trailers and tractors are sooooo different but I like it that way. Same with pick up trucks but all the heavy equipment is the same.

  144. #144Fastdirt2015-08-24 17:38

    I am really considering making this a tri axle. I cannot believe I have cut the frame down 32" already but it wouldn't have been enough at the original 252" WB. I am going to start looking into this. Either buying a salvaged rear tri axle frame section or extending it and adding a pusher axle. My plans are to trade the 35 ton in on a 4 axle lowboy with a flip axle and lift axle. I still want a super short dropped deck lowboy and the pintle hitch to pull the 20 ton tag trailer. I then think I would be as versatile as I could possibly be. Yes I am going to be for hire.

  145. #145JNB2015-08-24 17:40

    So...you been busy this afternoon ordering a pair for your Pete?

  146. #146Nige2015-08-24 18:03

    The problem as I see it with conventional tractors like yours is that you literally need a 3-acre field to get it turned round which is fine if you have the roads for it but here in the UK where most of our highways were designed and built by the Romans (and some would say they've not improved since that time...!) we don't have the luxury of that sort of space. A cabover doesn't have that long nose to get in the way and I could put one in some pretty impossible spaces. One place we used to go was a reverse of a 50-foot curtainside trailer through 3 x right-angle turns, all on the blind side of the tractor, then down a ramp and into a loading dock that had 3" of clearance each side of the trailer. A test of manouevring if ever there was one .......

  147. #147clintm2015-08-24 21:31

    fast dirt you had better check the cost of cargo insurance before you go spending any money in that direction up here I think it's something like $3,000. a month for one truck just for cargo

  148. #148wisfilrui3792015-08-28 18:20

    hey fastdirt what kind of mirrors did you use?

  149. #149CM19952015-08-28 20:02

    I think that's a good business venture to look into. One of the largest civil contractors over here in Birmingham has a dedicated heavy haul division that stays very busy. They deliver and move the big iron for Thompson Tractor and everyone else. Several smaller operators also deliver and move equipment for the rental store and the tractor side. Thompson has it's own transportation division but they get overwhelmed at times. There is also opportunity with the large rental houses as well. I would wager that Yancey has a need to move iron. Oh yeah, the Pete is looking awesome.:thumbsup

  150. #150Fastdirt2015-08-28 23:02

    I know what you mean Nige. I won't lie that big hood can hide a car when swinging into traffic making turns. In town work is the worst. It's mostly the traffic blocking the roads in the city. wisfirui, I went with the dual axis Moto Mirrors on both sides. They are made to order and have to be pre paid. Got them through Fleetpride but you might find a supplier that has them in stock but I had zero luck there and I checked everywhere. Got the last of the fuel lines made. Still waiting on a few PS hoses and such. Finally mounted the painted door handle. The next and hopefully last visor is on the way. Hopefully the intake and turbo tubes will be finished next week. Clint, I'm waiting on some quotes to come back now. Thanks. If anybody knows any great insurance providers I'll give them a try too. CM, I like your optimism. I have a few leads going with a few places and know quite a few contractors that don't own lowboys and just hire it all out. I have some connections with those companies and have some friends at rental places. I have also made relations with Yancey and won't be scared to venture into anybody's office with my shirt tucked in and a custom price list. You never know but you have to plant the seeds. I do know that you better be equipped and legit if you're going into those places and you better be ready. Like you said it is a venture and I've done my time. I've been doing this since I was 19 and I just turned 40. Even though the latter half I've been digging pools I spent all those years before working for grading/pipe companies. I have also been looking at bids but that's to come also. I need to change my name to such and such contracting or enterprises or services I believe. Got to have goals and aspirations when you're a start up company like myself. I'm not interested in expanding in the pool digging business I will say.

  151. #151wisfilrui3792015-08-29 00:30

    Thanks fastdirt been following your thread for quite awhile and truly shoes your dedication to doing things right the way you like without following what others think. I ask about the mirrors since I'm putting together my Pete ( no comparison to your beauty ) and I went to the cab mounted mirrors and from your pictures I can tell yours have great visibility and the 4 way adjustment would be a big help since I can't afford the 1 piece window conversion yet.

  152. #152Fastdirt2015-09-03 19:26

    Cargo insurance comes in at just under $1000 for the year. The money gets eaten up when you change from a private tag and insurance to a for hire tag and for hire insurance. That raises the insurance by about $3000 a year and then if you go into other states the apportioned tag goes up along with the for hire tag. If you'll notice on that Super Liner it has a Private tag which means he doesn't have for hire insurance either. Since his Dad owns the big grading company they probably hide behind the excuse that they only move their own equipment but he is no doubt for hire and hauls for all kind off places for years now. Kind of ticks me off. That means if he dumped a rental hoe off the trailer and hurt somebody his insurance wouldn't cover it. Well here is some cool progress. The 5" down pipe, air charger, and coolant tubes all ceramic coated. Dropped some other parts off for polishing and coating.

  153. #153rockytopcummins2015-10-07 00:33

    How is everything coming along? Haven't heard anything on it in a while.......

  154. #154clintm2015-10-07 21:16

    :iagree:update

  155. #155Fastdirt2015-10-07 21:55

    I've been steadily making progress but was getting burned out on it. Took a vacation last week and it's time to get back on it. I've taken the last of the aluminum to the polishers because I've sworn off polishing after the 100 hrs I have done already. Got the 5th wheel cover painted. Got rid of the ugly tin can power steering reservoir that mounts up on the block and went with the late model reservoir that mounts nicely on the frame. Finished the entire sleeper and interior with Hush Mat. This picture was taken as I was getting started on it. Here is the visor that is pinched/bowtied at the bottom. Didn't want it and knew I wouldn't like it but they shipped it to me. They are custom made. Here's the one I like.... the most anyway.

  156. #156rockytopcummins2015-10-07 23:47

    Who's the visor/s from? RLK?

  157. #157IDODIRT2015-11-19 19:34

    Lowboy What year is your lowboy and how is the 379 coming along

  158. #158Fastdirt2015-11-24 16:00

    rockytop the visor came from the same guy who makes the mirror brackets. IDODIRT the trailer is a 99. Exact same as a 2015. Haven't changed in 20 years. Ok I've been making progress. Still just an overwhelming amount of work and time. After spending so much time polishing aluminum I took the remainder of the aluminum to a professional polisher. I went to HS with the guy and was not at all prepared for the prices he hit me with. He polished the right step box and billed me $900!! So I got all the aluminum back and will finish it all. This was a heck of a job.

  159. #159Fastdirt2015-11-24 16:19

    I also polished the intake inlet aluminum pipe, the 7 way, but I still have to re polish the new tanks and straps. Got the turbos on. I was waiting on the BD stainless studs and spacers for the exhaust manifold that finally came. Also used the BD exhaust manifold gaskets which omit the inserts that reduce the flow.

  160. #160Fastdirt2015-11-24 16:59

    Now that the turbos are on it creates another project of getting the intake tubes from the turbo to the air cleaners. The stock pipes will definitely not work. I will have to fabricate the 6" pipes somehow. Also need to coat the hot side of the turbos. I didn't think the ceramic coating I had done on the turbo pipes would hold up. I am inquiring other hi temp "turbo" coatings. A picture of one done already. Got the pipes set. Also started on the interior. Finished putting the sound/thermal mat in the entire truck. I've had to cut all three sleeper windows out of the new interior panels.

  161. #161Fastdirt2015-11-24 17:14

    I removed the vent windows and went with one piece powered windows. That creates a problem for the wiring coming from the mirrors. Just another surprise to deal with.

  162. #162Fastdirt2015-11-24 17:19

    Lot's of scoring here. Tough job but no other that I know of to do it. Got all three windows cut out without a problem thankfully. Now I'm screwing it all in. I'll come back for lights and stereo once I get it all in.

  163. #163Mark132015-11-24 19:56

    Truck is looking good! It's going to be a relief when you've got it on the road and can use it. $900 to polish the step box?! I'd have let him keep the box for that, I was quoted $500ish to do the whole flatbed of my truck to bring it to a higher quality shine then I have it at already. If you don't mind shipping things it seems Evan from Evan's Detailing and Polishing in Chilton, Wi is one of the best in the country. He's who I got the quote from to do my bed, I plan to have him do my bed, underbody boxes, and L tank come spring.

  164. #164The Peej2015-11-25 07:17

    So glad you updated this thread. I was beginning to wonder if we would see it again

  165. #165joispoi2015-11-25 12:37

    I'm glad to see this update. I'm not sure if you're tired of hearing it, but the truck looks great. For the intake pipe, Summitracing.com has 6" aluminized steel bends and pipe. They have stainless steel up to 5" in diameter. Another option is to find a truck exhaust shop that can mandrel bend 6" pipe.

  166. #166clintm2015-11-26 09:19

    was getting worried about you with no updates

  167. #167Sharp2015-12-07 03:44

    Impressive Fastdirt your work and patience is impressive. Enjoy the post and keep pushing through. Your flawless vision and work WILL indeed pay off. Good luck. #thestruggleisreal

  168. #168Fastdirt2015-12-07 21:09

    Thanks for the motivation!!!. I really need it at this point. Biggest craziest project I've ever taken on..... and I've done quite a few in my life. Yeah the polishing on that box was definitely overpriced. It's too bad because they do awesome work and have all the means. 50HP floor mounted polishers. They charge $50 an hour Spent a lot of time fitting the interior. I'm really happy with the way it looks and fit so that's a nice change. My garage has some strong fluorescent lights that really mess with the camera so some pics are not so good. Another goal is to go with full gauge cut outs on the dash panels. I have been searching for the panels with all the cutouts. It will amount to 26 gauges when done. That will allow me to put boost gauges on both turbos and the inlet. Would like to get two pyros. Got to add psi and load gauges for the air ride. All the 379's came with different variations of panels but no 379 I've seen will have three full rows. Problem is the panels I bought from Vanderhaggs are in horrible shape. I've been trying to get with Rockwood and can't get good service from them. They can make these panels with any cutouts and color. They were supposed to send me an email over a week ago with a proof view before making the order. They left me hanging. ...So screwed by Vander and Rockwood. Unbelievable how the nightmare continues. So I broke out the old bender. This 379 came with radiator supports that go from the top of the radiator to a mount bracket above the valve covers. I'm mounting to the frame.

  169. #169Fastdirt2015-12-07 21:34

    The mount bar will be level and parallel when mounted. I just set it up there for a picture. Had to get some help lifting the radiator in. Can't believe I removed it solo with the hood on. Determination I guess. Once it's mounted then the cooler will go on and I think it will start going faster. Still need the driveshaft shortened and figure out how to make an intake pipe like the one below. I won't lie I have been looking at other ladies.... The only other truck I'm into currently is the W900L. 550 18 speed. It's in MS so I haven't seen it in person but it's what I look for. Problem is they are just too small for three guys and that's exactly why I'm going with 222" WB with a sleeper. Been looking for a used Pete like I'm building but they don't exist. This one I actually drove. 2011 550 Cat 18 speed. Seemed weak to me and the cab was super small. This one I would've bought for sure but it sold. Had a 6NZ 18sp on a 222" WB with flat top cab and 36" flat top sleeper.

  170. #170rockytopcummins2015-12-10 17:18

    I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that about Rockwood. I would've expected much better from a company like that. I like your thinking on the W9 though. I've always been a Peterbilt guy but seems the KWs have more room and nicer interiors. I don't know if you've seen them but if you get a non aero W9 with the straight cow Jones makes an A model hood for them. Talk about cool!!!!! I attached a link w/pic. I'm not necessarily crazy about the overall look of that truck, I just like the look of the A model hood on the W9L. http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/images/jpRAW/JP-K26K-2.jpg

  171. #171Fastdirt2015-12-10 18:45

    Rockytop, I'm not sure if the W900 is any nicer inside compared to an equal 379/389. It is a bit more classy maybe. The cabs are the same too. Very small in that KW. I always assumed they were bigger but I've measured glass to glass and they are within an inch. That's a cool cab and hood combo on that KW but I'm not too crazy about the rest either. I do kind of like the W900 cowl hood but only if it's making room for some big turbos and intake. I could actually use a cowl hood to make room for the intake pipes. Rockwood came through solid as rock after I gave them a call. They already had the proofs drawn and were just so busy they got behind. He said they worked all through Thanksgiving and all weekend taking care of business. The cool thing is the panels can be painted any color and they can match the glove box and window sills. They make them at of thick aluminum. My original panels were thick aluminum about 1/8" thick but the used ones I bought were two thin layers glued together with rolled edges on the somewhat façade. Rockwood will also polish the aluminum. I'm between gloss black and polished. The proofs are not all scaled the same here but obviously will be and all the gauge cutouts will be 2" and in line with one another. They also offer a panel to replace the ashtray panel. You can do anything you choose like 12v outlets, switches, gauges, etc.

  172. #172Mark132015-12-11 00:25

    I'd been watching that truck on truck paper for quite a while. Looked like a pretty nice truck from the pictures. As far as the dash goes, what if you paint most of it gloss black (easier to keep clean with finger prints) but have some polished aluminum in it as well. Weather it has a polished stripe through the middle or some design in it that's polished and the rest is paint? A friends truck had a painted dash to match the outside, looked good and just wiping it down kept it shining. No need to polish it or worry about finger prints or smudges in the shine. Inside. Outside.

  173. #173Fastdirt2015-12-11 11:32

    Well we can keep looking at that KW on Truckpaper because MNL will not remove it even though they sold it two months ago and it went for $74,000 not the $55k that they advertise. That place is a mess they have several ads of great trucks but they are sold or never were available. The ole hat trick! They blame it on Truckpaper which we know that's not true. Man that dash looks slick. Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about pinstripes. I've sent the proofs back and only changed one thing. I need a hole for the Motomirror joystick which will control left and right with one joystick by pushing it in for one side and pulling the joystick out to operate the other side. I did decide on gloss black for the exact reason you mentioned. I did send them this pinstripe scheme to see if possible.

  174. #174wisfilrui3792015-12-22 01:27

    Hey fastdirt Carl should get your dash out within a few weeks. They have been insanely busy but they're running dash panels this week. I'm getting mine made almost identical to yours but I'm moving the parking brakes to the ashtray panel.

  175. #175Mark132015-12-22 21:42

    Glad I was only looking at it then! I was thinking $55k was a little out of my price range, let alone $20k more. I'm sure they think they're fooling everyone by blaming TruckPaper but TP seems to have their act together at least in the dealings I had with them and their good customer service when I was trying to sell my old pickup.

  176. #176ak2co2016-01-25 15:06

    Thank you for taking the time to share your build. I wish that I where closer so I would come over and help. Very nice truck.

  177. #177Fastdirt2016-01-25 23:34

    I missed your post wisi. Rockwood sent out the panels today. They had a hold up on the glove box door but it's supposed to be shipped out. Can't wait. I'm either going to have Vance who painted the truck paint them all black or polish them. Probably go with the black paint on the panels and match the glove box door along with the window sills. I've been held up a bit on this but should be good on the interior once I get the panels. I'll then wire in a stereo and interior lights. Pretty cool we are both doing this through Rockwood I definitely want to see yours! Absolutely, I wish there were more threads like this. I really wish I had some help but I'm about to suck it up and give it my all. I just keep getting beat down everywhere I turn. The jerk who sold me the last two visors will not return them so I'm stuck with two visors I don't want. They are for sale I guess unless I...well I just don't know what to do. They came from The Weld Shop LLC also known as Built By Bub. What a complete jerk. He was so nice to me when taking my hard earned money and sent me the wrong visor twice. I know, stupid me for giving the money for the second one. That kind of stuff has just burned me out and beat me down. I just don't understand how people can do people wrong so easily. Got a Reverse Bowtie coming. So here is what's on the hot list: Get driveshaft shortened to fit the swapped in 18 speed Get transmission cooler lines made Get bigger fuel lines from tanks to block and get rid of the 90 degree fittings Run air lines to trans. Going from a 10 to an 18 I'll need to run air for both selector and splitter now. Install shifter. Clutch is all done and feels pretty good even w the heavy Lipe clutch. Feels about like my old L9000. Need to put Mojo Mat on the floor and install shifter plate and carpet. Re polish the fuel tanks. Remove glue from the new tank straps and use the correct protector straps to go between the tanks and tank straps. Last shop glued in dirty yellow cargo straps instead. Install tanks, fuel lines, cooler lines, and such so I can be done underneath the truck which allow me to install the tanks. Finish radiator mounts and install air cooler. That's enough for now. I give my self 2 to 3 weeks. Yep, I got slap burned out on it. It's hard work and a lot of the people in the industry are so busy and wait times for stuff is a big factor. It also seems like a good percentage of parts are damaged in shipping or wrong like Bub's visors :beatsme Heck one guy sent me a KW visor. I also have a new Midwest visor for sale.

  178. #178LilPete2016-01-26 08:45

    U mean this visor? ...wondering are u refferring to this the one from 5 - 6 months ago [/QUOTE]. Post #124: Got visor number four and...So I'm sending it back and getting the Modified BVD visor.... View attachment 139244 [/QUOTE].

  179. #179Fastdirt2016-01-26 12:10

    . Post #124: Got visor number four and...So I'm sending it back and getting the Modified BVD visor.... View attachment 139244 [/QUOTE].[/QUOTE] Built by BUB. The Weld Shop LLC. Yer boy...lol

  180. #180Karnage_562016-01-26 20:38

    Looks good. I was talking to you a couple months ago about your twin set up on Instagram. I'm running the big perkins as a single right now but looking you upgrade to a twin setup. You were gonna try to get back to me on the specs on the smaller turbo. Let me know if you can get the specs on it, it would help me out greatly.

  181. #181Fastdirt2016-01-27 09:17
  182. #182Wes J2016-01-27 09:42

    Just when you think life can't get any worse...

  183. #183zhkent2016-01-27 18:16

    That truck is going to be a work of art! It should have a lot of value with the parts and all the work you've done. Best of luck getting it wrapped up.

  184. #184Sterff2016-01-27 18:57

    That sucks about the visors. Just keep plugging away and the project will be done soon. Then you can enjoy it. Im currently restoring a tractor and it's one setback after another.

  185. #185JDOFMEMI2016-01-28 00:11

    Well, I am certainly looking forward to seeing you get this project done and start driving it. You are going to have one nice truck when it is done.

  186. #186Fastdirt2016-01-29 00:18

    Ok Karnage, I tried to get the specs and called PDI and they don't like to give that info out because of all the work they put into the kits. I do know the high pressure small turbo is a "stage 1" and it's a 78mm BW and the big turbo is a Perkins "stage 3". Now upon calling them I found out that they have changed the small turbo to a stainless steel turbo that they were using on the ISX twin kit. Now the CAT and ISX share the same turbos with different tubing obviously. They are getting back to me on the possibility of going to that turbo. I might just have this one for sale but we will see. Means a lot. I hope to have a video here soon of it fired up and going and then I will keep them coming. I know it. It's almost a curse but moving on to better days. One day at a time. One little project at a time. Trying to assess it all at one time is too much. Crazy how you can get sucked in much like the tractor restoration your doing I'm sure. I can tell you one thing never again... unless I decide to do it for a living and make money doing it. Jerry, as always I appreciate compliments and encouragement. Hope all is well out there.

  187. #187toppgunn2016-04-15 21:15

    Hey there. I've been watching this thread for a Lil while. Have you made any more progress on the truck? This thing is looking awsome. It will be cool to see it when it is finished. I've been wrenching and doing body and chassis work on trucks my whole life so this project really caught my eye . Actually ......I wound up finding this forum when is saw an image of your truck on a Google search. )

  188. #188coolcatman12016-06-19 00:27

    Any more progress on your Pete I've been watching this thread and now I am restoring a Pete 379exhd flat top as well

  189. #189ScottAR2016-06-20 20:16

    Seems he gathered his marbles and went home in another thread.

  190. #19090plow2016-07-15 22:51

    Anyone heard from fast dirt? I was following him on instagram looks like he deleted that as well??

  191. #191CM19952016-07-16 09:30

    Yeah he got his feathers ruffled over something - Haven't heard from him since.:beatsme

  192. #192movindirt2016-07-16 22:21

    Yeah, he deleted Instagram, for I think it must be the 3rd or 4th time now, I don't get whats going on with him...

  193. #193D&GExcavating2016-08-13 21:28

    I was wondering what happened to him on Instagram. I enjoyed seeing the updates on this truck, I think he even took my advice for the valve cover decals.

  194. #194JNB2016-08-14 09:35

    Well, we never know what's going on in someone's life. Hopefully everything is going good and he'll be back. I did enjoy his thread updates.

  195. #195Fastdirt2016-09-03 14:10

    How bout it y'all. I'm definitely not going to leave this thread dead. I hate when people don't follow up with their build threads. Time flies, hard to believe its been 8 months since I posted any progress. I've made decent progress but got hung up on this other build that I've taken on. Actually the other truck, the Ford LTL9000 is more of a restoration. So I have two huge projects going right now and will have them finished before Thanksgiving. The LTL9000 should be done in about month and then I'll jump back on the Peterbilt. I'm basically making them brothers. I have matching 8" stacks, matching 20" tapered bumpers, matching pairs of Bostrom wide ride seats, etc. etc. The LTL having the last mechanical Cat motor(3406C mechanical) ever put in a truck and the Pete having the last free breathing electronic Cat motor(6NZ). Everything is here to complete these projects and I don't need anything but time at this. One of my biggest hang ups was the intake for the compound turbo setup. I ordered a bunch of 7" pipe from Truck Pipes USA and me and my welder got it all figured out. Just ordered a custom built lowboy from Eager Beaver that will take about two months to complete. It's a 35GSL with the beaver tail, detach, custom 8'6" wide deck on the neck, recessed beams throughout the entire center, boom well, bucket pocket, strobes, power pack, and mostly important the custom length. It will only have an 18' well. My Witzco has a 22'6" well by comparison. The shorter trailer along with my shorter wheelbase on the truck should be what I'm looking for.

  196. #196Fastdirt2016-09-03 14:27

    The LTL. Tore the whole truck down. Re skinned the back of the sleeper and cut in a Peterbilt window. Had the rear fabbed up just like the Peterbilt. All 1" plate with a 50 ton pintle and 2.5" receiver.

  197. #197JNB2016-09-03 14:47

    Awesome man...Glad to see you back! The turbo / intercooler pipe work is absolutely beautiful.

  198. #198JDOFMEMI2016-09-03 15:46

    Glad to see you back posting an update. I hope life is treating you well. You are sure doing some first class work.

  199. #199blowerman2016-09-03 20:52

    Thanks for coming back with an update! Love following your pics.

  200. #200Fastdirt2016-09-03 21:44

    Thanks!! I didn't want to leave the thread dead. I'll get back with some updates after I make some more progress.

  201. #201413wedge2016-09-06 18:08

    Hey Fast, glad to see you back . your threads are my favorites especially your dirt work they push me to be a better owner/operator. keep up the good work

  202. #202hammerdwn202016-09-11 08:11

    good to see you back Brian! Bunch of us missed your updates and Instagram account. You're a big inspiration to a lot of us. hope all is well Frank

  203. #203FSERVICE2016-09-11 22:00

    thanks for the updates!!!! im glad you are going to show us the finished product.... nothing worse than being left wondering if it got finished or ????? BTW it looks great as I knew it would..

  204. #204f311fr12016-12-23 12:02

    Thanks for comming back. Any updates

  205. #205Fastdirt2017-08-14 00:01

    Well the 379 is not done, but it will be real soon. The lowboy was delivered in Jan. and the LTL got finished soon after. The LTL has been an absolute dream come true and a dream ride. We powered the 3406C up to about 600hp and with new Bostrom seats, I also cut the sleeper opening much bigger to get the seat all the way back, air ride, and the 13 speed, it's been awesome. The trailer was built with an 18' deck making it as short as possible to work with the 212" LTL tractor and it's been getting in some tight areas. The lowboy is also air ride and the ride is really nice. The whole plan all along was to get a 315 with a blade on the smallest trailer possible and it's a good fit. The 379 project has received some major changes. I cut off the rear frame and we (my master welder from Chile lol) fitted a 2016 Peterbilt cut off frame with Paccar low air ride. I set the wheelbase at 252", so yes I stretched it back out to allow for a pusher axle one day and it looks much better. Building a shop for the Pete now. It should be in the new "shop" sometime this week. It's a shipping container "shop" that will allow for a full on dedicated shop with room to work and lay everything out.... Finally. not having a sufficient shop has been tough. I still haven't given up but have wanted to.

  206. #206JDOFMEMI2017-08-14 00:30

    Great looking ride there! Good to see you drop back in and give us an update.

  207. #207Fastdirt2017-08-14 00:37

    A couple more. If all goes well I'll have these trucks forever. All pre 2000 except for the 6NZ I put in the 379.

  208. #208Fastdirt2017-08-14 00:41

    Thanks, Jerry. One day the title of this thread will be true. "379 lowboy project" One day soon I hope it will actually pull a lowboy

  209. #209kenworth2017-08-14 08:28

    Glad to see your back with us. I have missed seeing your updates. As usual your equipment looks Awesome and your craftsmanship is Excellent.

  210. #210farmerlund2017-08-14 09:50

    Super nice lineup. To nice to use. Ha. I have the same trailer and love it. real easy to unhook and hook up. Thanks for the update

  211. #211hvy 1ton2017-08-14 17:03

    The LTL is looking sharp. 359 is coming along too.That lowboy looks pretty slick for smaller stuff. I'm curious to see what you do with the seacans.

  212. #212Fastdirt2017-08-14 19:59

    Thanks! Well the lock pin is a pain to release. So detaching has been frustrating. They say I need to grind the hole bigger. I figured it would loosen up but not yet. I've probably only detached 10 times so far and that's usually only if it's raining or un level. I've been using the rear beavertail everyday mainly. They have the psi really low to raise the lock pin but full psi to lower the pin. Sales reps words there. Makes no sense to me. Otherwise it's been great. I did have the stinger settle and rake my rear fenders but only cosmetic damage. Should have done the walk around. Hope to be putting 8' toolboxes on the neck deck soon.

  213. #213Fastdirt2017-08-14 20:05

    Seacans? Took me a minute to realize what you were talking about. Tomorrow we're going to put the roof on I hope. Poured the slab Saturday. I have to say this new HEF picture uploading is great.

  214. #214Water Doc2017-08-14 20:05

    Wow, things are looking really good. Your pictures almost look like toy trucks, and I mean that as a compliment. They look surreal. Thanks for the update.

  215. #215Fastdirt2017-08-14 20:17

    Thanks! Really appreciate it. I definitely put some thought and work into taking those pictures....backdrop and all. Thanks

  216. #216farmerlund2017-08-14 20:22

    Mine was a little tight when new. I found that if I set it down and retracted pin before lowering it till loose. Didn't take to long for it to work correctly. Grease on the end of pin helps to. I work in a lot of soft and uneven ground and have never had trouble getting it picked back up.

  217. #217JNB2017-08-23 23:29

    Trucks are looking great! Any fresh pics of the container shop? I need to build something similar off the side of my barn for the dump truck I just picked up.

  218. #218CM19952017-08-24 08:32

    Nice FD! How's the 315FL? I haven't tried one out yet, they look like the perfect sized machine for a lot of what we do.

  219. #219FSERVICE2017-08-27 11:32

    trucks looks great fastdirt,,I like the shop idea lots of storage, are you going to cut a walk in door into the shop to the seacan?

  220. #220Fastdirt2017-08-27 22:40

    Hey JNB and Fservice, I just made a video of the "shop" on youtube. The shop is awesome so far. Can't wait to get down and dirty in/out there lol. Definitely doing a door in the side. The shipping container shop video is on You Tube. Also some more vids and more to come. One of those links should work. I'm a bit rusty. Yes I'm back on there. Can't help myself lol. Also posting work on IG CM, Thanks! I absolutely love the 315F. I've always wanted that machine with a blade and the reduced radius but just couldn't afford one. Still can't lol, but I just went for it and love it. The 312C was doing a great job as always but it is just shy of 10k so I'm giving it a break. I demoed the 315F last year and loved. Very balanced and quiet strong. Just like a 312 in performance. No difference really, it's just great in tight areas and the blade has several advantages.

  221. #221Aliate2017-08-28 00:25

    Everything looks great as always, glad to have you back here and glad to see you doing well. I really love the 315F the most, I recently bought a hitachi 130 because the price was right but those 315's are nice.

  222. #222hvy 1ton2017-08-28 00:35

    That looks real good FD. Have a chunk of land about 100 miles away. I've been thinking about ways to put something together with a couple 20' cans.

  223. #223YukonJeff2017-11-07 20:29

    Awesome looking Pete. Any more pictures of your twin turbo setup? Did you end up going with the 5DS or 6NZ? By far the nicest looking L9000s I've ever seen too. Every old Ford in my neck of the woods is two tone brown and falling apart, half are the old gas engine trucks too. Carbs belong in sleds and hot rods not heavy trucks.

  224. #224f311fr12017-11-07 20:49

    Good to see your progress.