Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2006 Mercedes MBE4000 ate it’s pigs

Shimmy1 ยท 2026-02-17 22:18

Buddy called me, said truck died going down the road. Said when he tried to start it, it sounded like was in gear. I said, what does the clutch feel like? He said, pedal went to floor, didn't come back up. Few more questions, my first guess was crank broke. Pulled trans, flywheel and clutch came out with the trans. Stupid POS uses the same bolts to hold both the crank gear and the flywheel to the crank. Since this happened at 1800 rpm, Freightliner says the engine is boat anchor, interference engine.

Replies3
  1. #1Simon C2026-02-17 22:52

    I know a guy that has one and found an injector for it far away. None available from dealer. I changed oil on it a few times, not much info available. Simon C

  2. #2Shimmy12026-02-17 22:54

    Injector? Little bit I know they have nozzles and unit pumps. All plagued with stupid failures, fuel lines being most common on early ones.

  3. #3Simon C2026-02-17 22:59

    I have not seen it for quite a long time, but he told me they changed injectors, but maybe he meant nozzles, last time I worked on it was 15 years ago, it was still running 4 years ago and that was when he told me they couldn't get parts for it anymore. Not even sure if he has any more. They are odd ball units, with no more dealer backing. Simon C