Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 Case 590SM in Black

popsiclepete ยท 2012-04-04 08:54

has anyone else seen a Black 590SM? I was told it was a special order item to celebrate the 50th anniversary. Is this right? are they a good machine? It has a lot of options, 4 in 1 bucket, ride Control, pilot controls, front and rear hydraulics, espar heater just to name a few. Approx 5000hrs. Tires are at about 70%. The black paint is peeling slightly but other than the cosmetics looks like a good unit. Its priced at $ 50,000cnd. Is this a good deal?

Replies25
  1. #1jdm2012-04-04 12:55

    I saw on the year they came out on display at one of our tractor shows.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2012-04-04 13:24

    50K sounds a little high for a 5000 hr hoe. Even if it is the special painted one. I have seen lots of 2-3000 hr hoes sell at the mid 30K range. Optioned up a bit with low hours should be maybe mid 40K range here. Sounds like they are putting too high a premium on it for the special paint and decals. It is a good machine, but don't overpay for a 5000 hr machine

  3. #3CRAFT2012-04-04 13:47

    Is it from a dealer or a private deal ?

  4. #4popsiclepete2012-04-04 14:43

    It's from a dealer, the price appears to be fair for what I've seen around here. Dealer is ending me the spec sheet and history.

  5. #5CRAFT2012-04-04 16:02

    It does sound a little high priced ....... are there extra buckets with it ? .... I would think it's an extend a hoe too ..... is the rubber in great, average, or poor condition ? (yes 70% but any serious cuts or chewed up) ..... air-conditioning ? ..... does everything work ? ..... any visible leaks or recent repairs (ie: welding or new shiny parts) ..... all pins & bushings tight ...... is there history with the hoe ..... and cause it's a dealer is there a substantial Warranty from them with it ....cause these are all the things that would make me question the pricing on a 5000 hr machine ..... I don't know but that's like 1000 hrs a year in Saskabush where there is not really an 8 mth season unless they had used it for snow removal as well ....... I would take a 590sm any day over any 580.....I ran one a couples of yrs ago and was totally blown away how the hoe part would dig, reminded me of a 60 size excavator for power .... we were trenching with a 48" clean-up bucket "No-Problem" for grunt and stability extended at 90 degrees full bucket .... and the big 4-1 would flatten 12yd piles with no effort (sticky dirt not sand/gravel) .......... to say the least I was very impressed .................... I don't think the hrs are really that big of an issue if the machine is really clean (not beat to death)& checks out like my questions above ....... maybe some pics ? ...... Good luck

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2012-04-04 16:13

    In my first reply I must have had my eyes half closed. I was thinking 580, but now I read it is a 590. Big difference, and sounds like a lot better deal now. The other thing about a custom or special edition machine like that is that they typically are sold to higher quality outfits and owner operators, so it is likely that it was cared for better than average. No hard evidence of it, but likely so. I looked again after finding out it is a 590 and I think it looks good. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8262001& If you need a machine, you could do a lot worse. I also noticed that most machines in Canada are comanding a higher price than in the US. Probably something to do with the economy.

  7. #7popsiclepete2012-04-04 20:20

    Checked it last week and all pins are tight. No signs of leaks or welding or anything structural. The dealer is going to get me the build sheet for all options as well as all work done on under their care. From what I've seen for sale in equivalent dollars it looks like a good deal. I plan on going back next week and working just to make sure.

  8. #8CRAFT2012-04-04 20:41

    If that's the machine pictured in JD's post with the link ... "THAT LOOKS COOL" .... aside from the machine don't look beat ..... they don't list it as an extend-a-boom but it looks like it is..... also looks like it has a quik-attach front bucket system ............... keep us posted

  9. #9popsiclepete2012-04-04 20:46

    Just got the build sheet. Retail new price was $155,000, air conditioning, air seat, deluxe cab package, asp air cleaner, ride control, 4 in 1 bucket, 24" high capacity bucket, grid heater, 2 batt., pilot controls with sta., loader aux hydraulics and yes Special Paint.

  10. #10popsiclepete2012-04-04 21:11

    Yes that's the one posted. It does have the extend-a-boom and quick attach front bucket. Will be sure to keep you posted.

  11. #11popsiclepete2012-04-14 14:32

    After a close inspection and after talking to the previous owner operator I decided to take the plunge. I'm Now a Case backhoe owner. I spent a day and half looking at used backhoes in Calgary last week and the best buy was the first one I looked at. Pins are tight, well maintained, all the features I wanted and more. The Previous Owner had nothing but good things to say, no major problems or break downs, he trades in his equipment every 4 years. The dealership has agreed to replace the rear window upper latch that was broken, new bucket blade and hydraulic filters and flush tank. The dealer is going to change engine oil and filter, replace both belts (Serpentine and A/C), do a full lube and provide an inspection report prior to picking it up. After viewing all the available inventory in our area and in Calgary, I figure I saved approx 10K from what I've seen short of going to an auction. The most important thing is that this unit was a One owner Operator unit and well maintained and it shows. After looking at other makes, models and similar Case units this one even with 2000 extra hours is the tightest and best of all. I'll keep you informed once I get digging if this unit is all that expected. Thanks to all the members for the posts and information I've read in the last couple of months it's been quite informative and always a good read.

  12. #12JDOFMEMI2012-04-14 15:21

    Glad to hear it worked out for you. Keep us posted with as you use it.

  13. #13mikey12012-04-14 17:46

    Thats pretty sweet man!! Remember you have to make time for mama too!! Very nice

  14. #14CRAFT2012-04-14 19:10

    .....Congrats ! ...... there's nothing sweeter than having done your homework and coming up with the deal you did ..... especially after talking to the original owner.....:drinkup ... cheers

  15. #15popsiclepete2012-04-15 01:04

    Thanks, I'll keep you posted. Should be ready next week.

  16. #16popsiclepete2012-04-25 21:24

    Still waiting for machine to be ready. Having it fully serviced and turbo replaced. Hope to see it soon. Hoping the dealer can deliver it on a back haul. I'll keep you informed.

  17. #17popsiclepete2012-06-11 22:43

    Latest update, Dealer delivered backhoe (80 miles away) at no cost to me for waiting the extra week and half and the extra repairs that I had done while in the shop. New turbo, front end seals etc. I used the front end loader for approx 5 hours stripping some top soil and pilling it when I noticed that it was not shifting from forward to reverse properly, it would hesitate for a few seconds then grab, once it hooked up lots of power in 2 & 4 wheel drive, it didn't matter what gear it was in. Called the dealer and explained the problem and it took afew days to decide if they were sending a mechanic or picking up the unit and bringing it back to dealership. They picked it up latter that week and discovered that the rear engine seal was shot and leaking into the bell housing and leaching into transmission. I agreed to pay a third of he net cost to repair ($ 1,600). They wanted to drop off a loaner at no cost but do to my work schedule and weather it was pointless so I declined. They called a week later again and said they were bringing me a loaner, I asked why? And they said they had more issues. Turned out the rear seal was fixed and stall test past and it was shifting into reverse fine but still had some lag in forward. They ordered more parts and last week I received a call that I was dreading. The transmission needs to be replaced. I questioned them as to why and how much. They were goi to get back me Friday or Monday. Well, today I got the call......... I have to pay the original $1,600 we agreed on on that they are going to pick up the tab for the rest. Wow what a relief. I'm guessing in excess of 10K that they are picking up. What other reason do you need to buy used from a reputable dealer. The salesman was a gem to deal with, he kept his word and looked after me. There stil is lots of good people left and I just found a business full of them.

  18. #18JDOFMEMI2012-06-11 23:24

    Thanks for the report. One thing a lot of us on ere always stress is to buy a machine you have good dealer support for. It sounds like you have a winner in that department.

  19. #19alrman2012-06-12 03:17

    For what it's worth popsiclepete, there is no way a leaking rear engine oil seal could have had any effect on the transmission operation. BUT, to get a transmission rebuild for $1600 I wouldn't be complaining about it. Do you know if they are they puting new plates in ALL clutch packs? Good they gave you a loaner as well

  20. #20popsiclepete2012-06-12 08:35

    They're installing a re manufactured trany. I didn't take the loaner as I've been busy with work and the weather was poor, I didn't want to have them bring me a loaner and not use it.

  21. #212Vcon2012-08-03 00:34

    Was that the 4speed standard or the powershift?

  22. #22popsiclepete2012-08-03 06:39

    It was the power shift transmition. It's working great now. I blew a hose that I knew was weak on the hoe and just replaced one of the flat head hose couplers (male and female) for the 4 in 1 bucket. Again I knew the coupler was an issue prior to purchase you could see it was worn. It would continuously pop off, then you have to stop and reconnect it. It may stay attached for 5 min or two days. The dealer has been great with all the parts and follow up calls to make sure that everything was working ok.

  23. #232Vcon2012-08-04 06:05

    good to hear, I had a 580SL Series I with the standard that always was reliable for many years. Reason I was asking was because when you were using the loader for loading the truck you always had to use first gear to get into a pile which was quite slow. With the powershift you should be able to click 2nd gear for all work other than loading the bucket, many a day I remember thinking the grass was greener over the fence! P.S. the hydraulic pump is mounted much better on the M's. on the S models it was in front of the engine with piping all the way to the back of the tractor- want to put on a new serpentine belt? Guess what-you have to slide the pump forward first...

  24. #24EquipmentNut2012-08-29 20:48

    Here are a few I shot back in July 2010 @ Titan Machinery in Casper, WY Thanks, Aaron

  25. #25popsiclepete2012-08-30 09:29

    Thanks for the pictures, it sure looks better newer. On mine the paint on the hood in pealing and it doesn't have chrome wheels. Put on approx 250 hours and all is working good. I must have moved 1000's of yards of dirt with the front end loader and built a road approx 1200' long after removing top soil. I'll be starting with the septic field today as we installed the 1000 gallon tank yesterday. This machine has saved me almost 2/3 of the purchase price already. next week I should receive my new Kubota 2920 compact tractor with tiller. brush mower and land levelling blade. Its funny all the dealers that i was getting prices from for the compact tractor were trying to sell me the optional front end loader, I let them give me the sales pitch then politely explained that i own a Backhoe, the sale pitch was quickly ended. lol