Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 CAT 289B vs 2018 Takeuchi TL8

Handy · 2022-08-22 23:44

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a skid steer and I can't decide which one to get. I found a 2007 cat 287b enclosed cab (door missing) high flow with supposedly 2200 hrs (meter) was changed at (2090) so hours probably not accurate. It comes with 3 attachments, ac doesn't work and bushings probably need replacing. Dude wants $30k and won't budge. This other 2017 takeuchi tl8 has 1100 hours open cab standard flow with a 72"" bucket. It will need new tracks and the existing ones are probably stock and look terrible. Hours are probably accurate and price for this one based on previous auction will probably go for about close to $30k. upload image online The Cat is in FL so I will need to fork out about 3k for shipping. The Takeuchi is local and I can pick up myself.

Replies5
  1. #1Tags2022-08-23 06:40

    To me the Takeuchi is a slam dunk. That style Cat undercarriage is expensive to maintain, door missing, ac not working, hour meter changed, too many red flags imho. Either one is a risky endeavor especially if they are both auction machines. The tracks for the tak are not too bad to purchase or replace and I think it’s a much more forgiving machine.

  2. #2Handy2022-08-23 19:35

    thank you for the feedback. I was looking at the going prices for that cat just 2 years ago 19-20k. At that price, I wouldn't mind taking a gamble. I guess I will try the takeuchi and see what happens.

  3. #3Tags2022-08-24 06:34

    Also, who has the better dealer support in your area? Again, not trying to be Debbie downer, but machines go to auction for a reason, it’s really hard to get a good idea of the machines operation since you can’t really run it, dealer support could be very important….

  4. #4Rihpper2022-08-27 14:19

    I like CAT machines but I’d pass on that 287b…

  5. #5Handy2022-08-27 15:28

    I really wanted it but after the comments I got about it and doing some more research, unless it was cheaper I'm skipping it. Now I'm debating in getting a takeuchi TL8 or TL10.