Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo mc135c won’t travel

Jeremy Combs · 2022-08-24 00:32

Volvo skid steer won’t travel when joystick is engaged. Park brake releases but nothing happens almost as if the stick is dead. I do feel a slight increase in pressure if I hold the stick engaged and release the park brake. Seems the stick is getting fluid. Oil was very low when I got it and was told they thought the drive pump was out. Everything else on the machine works fine. Had some electrical connection issues with other things feel it might be something stuck or not letting the pump try to engage.

Replies12
  1. #1funwithfuel2022-08-24 07:16

    Someone gave this to you, right?

  2. #2funwithfuel2022-08-24 07:18

    Is your right joystick on a hinge?

  3. #3Jeremy Combs2022-08-24 11:44

    Ha, no, I paid for it. Left armrest folds down, that is the drive side. Right side does not fold down if that’s what you are asking.

  4. #4funwithfuel2022-08-24 13:01

    Ok, here's the rub, anyone who's ever done a search here on those one armed bandits knows, they are rebranded JCBs . No bueno. The joystick are 100% electric, no pilot oil. The whole machine is electric over hydraulic. I would start with checking all your fuses and verifying that there is no security pin. Do you have any errors on display?

  5. #5Jeremy Combs2022-08-24 16:17

    There are hydraulic lines running to each stick? About 6 lines on the drive stick. No codes unless I unplug something. I got lucky fixing the throttle by messing with the fuse block and had a bad connection at a relay. Ac relay also had a bad connection. No luck with the drive though but 2 of my 3 problems have been cured by relay/connection problems.

  6. #6funwithfuel2022-08-25 06:39

    Ok, I stand corrected. There was an option for the hydraulic RCVs . So there's really a limited choice of possibilities. First, lack of charge pressure. Without charge pressure, there's no possibility for travel. Second will be park brake solenoid. If the brake indicator on the IP is extinguished, the solenoid could be faulty. If it were a safety issue, ie lap bar, seat belt or something like that, the light would remain on. I'm glad that you've been able to restore most functions by cleaning and repairing electrical connections.

  7. #7Jeremy Combs2022-08-25 11:40

    So I checked charge pressure through the display I can’t remember exactly what it was but was real close to 250. Maybe I will look more into that. We have pulled the park solenoid and function tested it, as far as we can tell it’s operating. Would it make since that the boom all works but not the travel if I had low charge pressure? Or is the boom all off the 2nd pump and travel off the first pump? Appreciate the help.

  8. #8funwithfuel2022-08-25 11:51

    Charge pressure is created by an internal gerotor pump , I believe it is sandwiched between the two travel pumps. I will have to confirm. That said, charge pressure is typically 450-475 iirc. I will look at specs and post up when time permits.

  9. #9Jeremy Combs2022-08-25 22:33

    My charge pressure is 236. Had a Volvo mechanic stop by today. He checked quite a few things, might be onto something in the wiring but wasn’t sure. I will probably be taking it to their shop tomorrow.

  10. #10Jeremy Combs2023-02-25 00:46

    Solved! Dealer had it for 3+ months with over 80hrs into it with no luck. I brought it home and worked on it myself with the guidance of a good mechanic/ friend. Long story short on top of the pumps is a pilot control flush valve. Something was stuck open in that valve block allowing all charge pressure to bypass. Cleaned it, reassembled and all has been good so far. Thought I would report back to save someone the headache.

  11. #11Tags2023-02-25 09:52

    I’m glad you and a competent mechanic figured it out. Just curious though, what did the dealer do for “80 hours”? And did they charge you for it?

  12. #12Jeremy Combs2023-03-05 00:12

    I paid 8 hrs and parts. Mostly because they did a service call prior to my house for a few hours. I was however more disappointed after working on it myself for less than 8 hours that they couldn’t fix it. Checked pressure at the stick. Checked pressure at pump. Vastly different pressures told us we had fluid loss. Capped lines going to flush valve as a test and bingo! Anyway hope this helps someone in the future.