Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 CAT 420E / Weak Hydraulics / Machine shuts off periodcally

screambuzz999 ยท 2016-09-12 00:07

I just bought a 207 CAT 420E and the machine will sometimes shut off for no reason. It does not seam to have the power that it should either, and the hydraulics are weak. I changed both fuel Filters drained all fuel out of the tank and replaced with about 5 gals. (that's all I had on hand) and that seemed to help the stalling issue a little bit. It stalled one time since replacing everything. Does it require more fuel then that? When I opened the tank to check the fuel level the tank had a vacuum on it. Please Help!

Replies9
  1. #1Dutchcat2016-09-12 05:24

    Maybe a new tank breather Try running it with the cap off, just for testing, Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  2. #2screambuzz9992016-09-14 12:41

    This did not seem to help. Do I need to run some kind of fuel additive or cleaner through the system. Like seafoam?

  3. #3Dutchcat2016-09-14 13:25

    Did you open up the fuel filters? Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  4. #4screambuzz9992016-09-14 14:17

    No I did not cut them open. I should I guess. I did replace them and and I still get the same problem out of the new ones. Although for a an hour or so after changing the fuel, the machine ran fine.

  5. #5screambuzz9992016-09-14 15:00

    In addition to my hydraulic weakness, the extendahoe does not work.

  6. #6Dutchcat2016-09-14 15:08

    Like nothing at all? Not even a change in rpm? Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  7. #7screambuzz9992016-09-14 15:41

    correct! It acts like it is not even connected. I just bought the machine at auction so I do not know the history of it. Is it possible that there are some hoses crossed? or possibly the button on the joystick is not working?

  8. #8Dutchcat2016-09-14 16:06

    If you have the prefix i could look it up on sis, did you check the implement lockout switch? Im not realy familliar with backhoes but hydraulics are all the same Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  9. #9screambuzz9992016-09-14 16:48

    I do not know what you mean by an implement lockout switch. What prefix do you need? of the serial number (HLS) or model number? (420E)