Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 D4g Intermittent warning and lockout

ReadCon · 2015-09-14 12:01

Hi Guys, New here but have read many posts that helped me out in the past. Now I have a Cat d4g xl serial CAT00D4GJTLX01267. It operates as it should, but at higher speeds it will occasionally have the gear with an exclamation light come on and put itself into park. This will lockout all movement and stays this way unless you restart the machine. when restarted all the warning lights cycle and turn off, then its back to normal. Is there a way to find out why it is doing this, and what code it is?

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2015-09-14 12:41

    The warning you have is showing a fault in the Hystat system. There have been numerous threads on D4G/D5G Hystat issues recently and also the procedure for pulling the Diagnostic Codes. Try a bit of a search and see what you come up with. If you're still in trouble after that post back here.

  2. #2ReadCon2015-09-14 13:31

    Thanks Nige, I have been searching and reading here for 2 days now. I see a lot about the codes and explanations to what they are. But never really how to get the codes. As I said, this is my first dozer and im just getting familiar with it. How do I get the codes?

  3. #3Nige2015-09-14 13:44

    Look inside the LH console and you'll find a rectangular 8-pin grey connector plug. A load of wires from the machine harness will come into one side of it and it will have maybe 2 or 3 black wires jumping various terminals to one another on the other side. With the key off, remove the side of the plug containing the jumper wires from the machine harness, Removing that plug (aka the Harness Code Plug) will put the electronic control into Service Mode. You get your diagnostic codes using the following procedure: - 1. Turn the key on. Diagnostic Codes are in the form of a 3-digit number. The Diagnostic Codes will be displayed by the monitor as a series of flashes with a 1-second pause in between each set of flashes. 2. To scroll to the next Code use your length of wire to short across terminals 1 & 2 of the connector for a couple of seconds then remove the wire. Find out what Codes you have and post them here.

  4. #4ReadCon2015-09-14 15:38

    Ok. I see now. Codes I get are: 256 244 246 178 411

  5. #5Nige2015-09-14 15:59

    Codes I get are: 256 - Steering Position Sensor (a possibility) 244 - Parking Brake Switch (interesting!) 246 - Right Track Speed Sensor (also interesting) 178 - Air intake Heater Relay 411 - Electrical System Voltage Just as an initial check have a look at your alternator/belt adjustment/tensioner etc, to make sure you don't have a voltage problem. Once you've got that out of the way drop me a PM with your email address and I can send you a Troubleshooting Procedure for the other 4 Codes. You'll need a digital multimeter to carry out some of the tests.

  6. #6ReadCon2015-10-01 17:50

    So now the voltage is proper and it has stopped putting itself into N with warning. New problem- Oil Pressure gauge reads 0. bad sensor?gauge? if oil pressure was truly zero, would the computer pull a warning?

  7. #7Nige2015-10-02 03:49

    You have 2 systems on that machine. First there is a low oil pressure switch that is connected into the alarm system. That switch open/closed is what sets off the warning lamp on the dash and the audible alarm. Second is a sender connected to the oil pressure gauge. The fact that you have no low oil pressure alarm lamp lit indicates the switch is working and you do have oil pressure but no idea of exactly how much oil pressure. Try disconnecting wire 464 Grey at the oil pressure sender and see what happens to the gauge. The sender is located on the left side of the engine just in front of the flywheel housing.

  8. #8Redlight2024-10-19 10:15

    I have a 2007 D4G with a similar issue. When I start the engine the red warning light comes on. As I start forward the speed of the machine shows a little below 2. Everything operates fine but I can’t increase the speed with the button. It will go down as I push the button to reduce speed but it won’t speed up. I turn the engine off and restart it and the speed is just below 2. Any help would be appreciated.

  9. #9Nige2024-10-19 10:23

    Can you create a new thread please, and make sure to quote a Serial Number. if you need help in creating a new thread click this LINK

  10. #10Redlight2024-10-20 15:29

    I have a 2007 D4G. Serial # TLX1313. I purchased it to work around my farm and I love it. When I start it up the red light w/explanation in the center comes on. As it warms up it goes off and on from time to time. The speed gauge shows just below the 2. When I push the button to speed it up the red light will come on and it doesn’t move. When I push it to slow the speed it goes down to 1 and won’t go back up. I shut the engine off and start it back up and it shows just below the 2 on the gauge. I can run it that way and get the work done but sometimes i’d like to be able to travel a little faster. I opened the fuse box and all the fuses are fine. I did see the grey connector with the 4 wires going to a little flat male plug that some say is used to check for codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tommy

  11. #11Nige2024-10-20 16:56

    Did you have some sort of problem creating a new thread.? Did the link (blue text in Post #10 above) containing the instructions on how to create a thread not work.? It's confusing when people post on existing threads with new issues that are not the same as the one that was described in the original thread. Not least to those people who are trying to help.

  12. #12Redlight2024-10-20 17:00

    I wrote a new post to include the serial number. I assume it’s not connected to the post I originally commented on.

  13. #13Nige2024-10-20 17:14

    Please can you click on the link and follow the instructions in it.

  14. #14Redlight2024-10-20 17:33

    Yes sir! I’ll give it a shot and get back later. Thanks!