Ok let me try this again. I start the dozer and the speed gauge is on 2. As I move forward it travels fine. As I push the button to increase the travel speed the needle doesn’t move. I push it to decrease the speed and it goes to 1. I push the button to increase the speed and it does nothing. I turn the engine off and restart it and the gauge is on 2. I try increasing the speed and it doesn’t speed up. I read that you can disconnect the gray plug at the fuse box and turn the key on and read the codes from a red light. Is this light in the dash or is it the one in the fuse box?
You can indeed. It's the red light #4 right above the fuses.. Key OFF, disconnect plug #2. Key ON, count the flashes on #4. Each separate Blink Code is comprised of 3 digits. The light will flash X times followed by a delay of one second before it flashes again until it has displayed the 3 digits of that particular Code. After each 3-digit code there will be a 3-scond delay before the light flashes the next Code. Post back with whatever Codes you come up with.
I just tried doing this process and I got no blinking at the red light. I did some investigating and the light is broken. I removed it and now I’m hunting a replacement so I can continue the test. Thanks for your help. I’ll update soon.
It is actually a diode assembly, an LED in other words. The Cat Part Number is 3E-8679.
Thanks for the info on the LED. I tried sent a photo of the light with the info on the light to a guy at a Cat parts site and he couldn’t find it. Hopefully with the part # I can order one. I got a little creative and rigged up a test light to the wire ends that connect to the light and I got a code. 261. Glad I didn’t get several codes like some do. Hopefully you can help me.
261 is a Code pertaining to the acceleration switch, CID 1701. Luckily there is only one possible Fault Mode so the troubleshooting procedure is easy enough to find. See the attached which contains a truncated electricl schematic. If you want a complete electrical schematic for the machine just ask.
I really appreciate your help. You’re obviously very well versed in these machines and how they work. I welded for 20 years and built custom homes for over 25 years. I fabricated drag cars from scratch that ran over 175 mph in the quarter but electrical is not my expertise. I will say this, the speed control button rubber cover is worn and part of it is torn so I suspect I could probably buy a switch assembly and replace it. Can you recommend a website to shop for the LED and the switch control mechanism?
I get where you're coming from but here's the bad news. That switch is not available separately, only as part of a replacement joystick handle. The handle is Part Number 240-8149. How would you feel if you installed a new handle and the problem was still there.? That's why we do diagnostics, to figure out what's wrong before firing the Parts Cannon, but don't let fear stop you. Simply put put Caterpillar + 3E-8679 (or the P/N of the handle) in a search. It will throw up something. AVspare.com is always good for Cat parts.
I totally agree with that statement. I’d be very disgruntled if, after spending lots of money, it didn’t fix the issue. I’ll try to do some electrical testing and see if I can locate the issue. Again, I can’t thank you enough for all your help. You are obviously a wealth of knowledge on this. I’ll definitely follow up with my findings.
I have read on many posts not to use 03 on the speed gauge unless it is an emergency situation. I use 02, set my hand throttle, then use the decelerator to moderate speed. If I am doing wrong, someone please correct my stupidity. 2006 Cat D3G LGP. Thank You.
If 03 means 3rd gear, it greatly accelerates undercarriage wear especially in reverse.
Ok, I said I’d update this post. I did the best I could with my multi-meter and I could not find any issues. I decided that since, the oval speed control button rubber cover was somewhat damaged and the round rubber button cover below it was totally missing, to remove the oval rubber and spray brake cleaner into the joystick. At first it didn’t seem to help but after I use a small screwdriver to work the switch buttons a few times it started working as it’s designed. Thanks for all the help!
Cheaper than a new joystick handle as well.!