Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 F-750

bins ยท 2007-11-13 15:33

I will be picking up my new F-750 tommorow. Here is a pic of it. $84,000 no rebate b.c I am taking the 6.9% for 60 months $1253.00 per month with $20k Down. My order of 10 Containers ( 7 20 yard, and 3 10 yard) will be here Thrusday. Will not start working until week after Thanksgiving when I pass my CDL test.

Replies94
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-11-13 16:16

    Looks good! What specs did you end up with?

  2. #2bins2007-11-13 16:54

    xlt, 33,000 gvw, 270 hp cat, 6 speed auto 3500allison trans.

  3. #3nedly052007-11-13 17:32

    Congrats, Bins!! Good luck with her:drinkup

  4. #4bins2007-11-13 17:37

    Any suggestions for my test. I have to pass the first time or else I will have to wait atleast 2 weeks b.c they are backed up. Also I will have a female giving me the test. Any suggestions about that also.

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2007-11-13 18:26

    CDL test Every state is different, But here in NC they are tough and most are females that give you the test (in my town) MOST important, when you get out of the truck to do your inspection, take the key with you, thats a big NO NO here. make sure that you know the parts of the truck, most of the time if you act like you really know what you are talking about, they won't make you do all the inspection, if you did it before you got there (just my 2 cents) Keep both hands on the steering wheel. Try to find someone that just took the test and get the route they took and the things they had to do. They have online reference tests you can buy (not sure where, try google) If you miss any of the signs in NC, you fail the written. why is it everytime i go to have mine renewed, I get brain dead, on the signs. Hey Im 60 years old, I know these signs, but I guess its the nervous atmosphere that the examiners project. I know they are just doing their job, but I feel like I just got pulled over by the man. Guess thats just me. Good Luck, study all the guides you can, and try to get someone to help you practice the walk a round.

  6. #6Nac2007-11-13 19:59

    What size hoist is that? What hook hieght? And what lenght of boxs did you order? How much are your boxes costing?

  7. #7bins2007-11-13 20:51

    10 yard is 12 feet long. 54 inch hook.

  8. #8bins2007-11-13 20:53

    20 yards are 16 feet. They seem a little tall but I will see.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2007-11-13 21:44

    Just study your manual. Read it several times and over emphasize everything you do on the practical. Make sure you get out and check behind the truck before backing, and don't forget your pre-trip inspection. Good luck!

  10. #10Lashlander2007-11-13 22:29

    You guys have to take a test to renew a CDL? In this state all you have to do is take an eye test and they take your pic and hand you the new license unless you have a Hazmat endorsement. Then they give you the Hazmat test. I let mine go when they started all the BS with homeland security.

  11. #11Willis Bushogin2007-11-13 22:36

    Cdl Guess I didnt really explain correctly. Renewal for CDL is just eye exam, but thats what I was referring too, about have to pass the eye exam 100%, maybe its just me. I am a retired Boat Captain, an boy was that a test.

  12. #12Komatsu 1502007-11-14 07:50

    I have the same problem even though my glasses correct my vision properly I had a terrible time with the testing machine. I discovered that, at least in Illinois, a letter from my eye doctor that my vision was corrected with glasses and the DMV would waive the eye test. I've done this the last few times I've renewed, really removed a big worry. Might be the same in your state.

  13. #13Willis Bushogin2007-11-14 09:16

    Thanks for the input

  14. #14bins2007-11-16 16:56

    Just an update. I took delivery of my truck and cans. The green is going to be hard to take care of b.c u can see the scratchs. Also got my medical card today. 10 cy $1,850 20 cy $2,670

  15. #15Dirtman20072007-11-16 19:00

    Just don't let people try and push the dumpsters around with equipment. I have seen several forklifts poke holes in the sides on containers when trying to move the dumpster.

  16. #16bins2007-11-17 17:37

    What kind of money are you making after tipping fees on Demo jobs? I have a friend that is demoing a house and he is estimating that he needs 120 yards of C & D removed. 40 yards of trees and 20 yards of concrete. Which means I will need to use 7 20 yard boxes and 2 10cy boxes. I am trying to meet the big guys prices but it is hard when I can't dump for the same fees as his. The big company also uses 40 yard boxes which really hurt my prices. I am seeing that some jobs just arent worth doing. The demo guy will be loading the cans with a bobcat. Can a bobcat put debris in a 7' tall box. If not that wlll help my prices b.c then he would be looking at using 30 yard cans from the bigger companies which would help me get $15 more per 20yd can. Is there any advantages that I could bring out by using my 20 yard can?

  17. #17cat3202007-11-17 18:02

    Well for one thing you just said it you will be making 2 trips for the bigger guys 1 trip so time and fuel. the big guys probably are set up with a valume type price for the tonnag they bring in . when it come to the concrete even the big guys have to use max 15 yarders and one hell of a powerful truck to move it.

  18. #18Bob Horrell2007-11-17 23:05

    7 feet is no problem, even for the smaller Bobcats. My S250 loads 10.5 feet.

  19. #19bins2007-11-18 00:12

    Yes they have a volume discount. The most they would pay is $22 a ton. I will have to pay 7.25 a yard until I can dump 200 tons a month. They are proably dumping 200 tons a day. They have 40 roll off trucks alone. Then they have tandem, quads,and quint dump trucks. Dump tractor and trailers. And front end. On top of that they have port johns, traffic saftey equipment. Also he takes in concrete for free crushes it and sends it out in his dump trucks.

  20. #206DoubleDuece2007-11-18 00:35

    Bin's, You have to find "your" niche. It will be very hard for you to compete with the big guys when you can't get their dicounts and don't have their equipment. You need to market to the people that your equipment will work the best for. Thanks Brenden

  21. #21bins2007-11-20 14:26

    How are you guys lettering your cans? Stencil or Vinyl letters?

  22. #22Per Eriksson2007-11-20 14:57

    You have small truck and a one man show, use that to your advantage. You can get in and place bins where a larger truck can't, you can pickup and deliver bins 24/7 if needed for example homeowners that need to have a bin but want to be there when it's dropped and picked up you can do that after their work hours, hard work in the beginning pays off in the long run when it comes to making a good name in the business.

  23. #23Nac2007-11-20 18:04

    I had magnetic stencils made for my cans.

  24. #24bins2007-11-20 18:45

    NAC that is the exact same idea I had. Who did you get yours from? What was the cost for them? Now my problem is should I stay with tub cans or go with the rectangle cans. Right now i have tubs but my 20yd are about 72" out side dimensions. I heard that the rectangles are only 60" tall outside. This is with a 16' length. I rented out my first can today. :drinkup

  25. #25D5G2007-11-20 19:49

    That is a nice truck,what color will your containers be?

  26. #26Nac2007-11-21 20:32

    I run standard cans not tubs. Tubs are a bit lighter but not as strong, taller because of shape and more top heavy. I have my boxes usally spec. HD. My sign guy made the stencils form me. What width are your boxes? I run 96" wide but I see a lot of the hooklift guys run skinny boxes.

  27. #27Preppypyro2007-11-21 23:22

    Sharp looking truck Bins!

  28. #286DoubleDuece2007-11-25 11:26

    Nice looking setup Bin's. How is it going? Are you getting some work? After dump fee's how's your net profit? I hope your getting 2 or more out a day :drinkup Thanks Brenden

  29. #29bins2007-11-25 18:27

    Business isnt going to great at the moment. Only had 1 customer. Have 9 boxes sitting in the yard. I do have a ad that hits the streets Dec 6-9. I take my CDL test tommorow. I will start calling contractors this week.

  30. #30Wolf2007-11-26 14:13

    Nice Looking Truck That is a great looking truck, and dig the color of your bins. Very distinctive and recognizable. I hope business picks up for you. I'm sure it will.

  31. #31Pigseye2007-11-26 17:23

    finding work..... Hey Bins, first of all best of luck to you in taking that big first step of getting into business, I would suggest checking with your insurance restoration companies locally for fire and water damage business. I know here in MN they run smaller boxes 20yd to fit in parking stalls and tight areas. Servicemaster, ServPro and any private outfits, I know most insurance companies paying for work have good prices on 20yd boxes or demo debris etc. I must say I've been looking into this as well, because the road construction and housing industry here is no good. Nuc.....just wondering if there is a good formula for figuring out box prices, maybe I'm reaching but I figured I'd ask someone with experience, I'm trying to flesh out a business plan. Thanks and good luck bins let us know how it's going love to see the updates. Paul :usa

  32. #32bins2007-11-26 18:12

    Thank you everyone for the compliments. I passed my test today with no problems. I got a chance to call about 10 roofing companies to let them know that we are now here to help them with their disposal needs. I have thought about calling the fire and restoration companies.

  33. #33Willis Bushogin2007-11-27 22:02

    2008 Dodge 3500 6.7L diesel dually Not sure how to post new questions, so here I go here. Does anyone have any experience with the new Dodge 3500 diesel dually. I have a gooseneck trailer to pull my skidsteer and just trying to get some input on the truck. Thanks

  34. #34Pigseye2007-11-28 13:02

    Another thing that the insurance/restoration companies rent are storage containers, I know the rolloff company my wife uses with her company they charge by the week, and a drop and pickup fee, just another service you might be able to add in the future. Paul

  35. #35bins2007-12-04 21:16

    So far I have rented out 6 cans. Not too bad for the end of the year.

  36. #36rabbit162007-12-09 21:35

    Good luck with the business Binns looks to me like youve got a good opportunity ahead of you. I do have one question though. Why did you go with ford? Do you live in an urban area? Is that what other people run?

  37. #37thejdman042007-12-09 22:46

    Good luck hope it all works out.

  38. #38bins2007-12-10 14:58

    I picked the ford b.c they already had a truck built.

  39. #39bins2007-12-13 22:24

    Well I am putting out atleast 1 a day during the week. I have 7 cans rented out right now. I need to buy 2 more 10 yarders b.c I had to give someone a 20 for the price of a 10 b.c I ran out. Then today as soon as I picked up a 10 yarder someone wanted it an hour later. Can't complain with this time of the year. I am making enough to pay the bills. Also I am doing better on my dumping fees then I expected for the 20 yard cans since they have been coming in so light.

  40. #40bins2007-12-16 19:59

    What is the average tipping weight for a 30 yard can that is coming from a wood house demo. Not including concrete.

  41. #41Nac2007-12-17 20:08

    if it just wood not plaster and lath it schould be between 6-9 tons

  42. #42YoungOne2007-12-29 21:26

    what part of va bins? i know where some demo is about to start. And in the future. I got roofing/ contractors #'s. -Michael-

  43. #43bins2007-12-31 23:11

    Hampton Roads.

  44. #44nedly052008-01-01 05:00

    Sounds like your off to a great start Bins! Conrats and good luck in the new year!!

  45. #45bins2008-01-12 13:53

    Can 80 squares of shingles really fit in a 20 yard container. I was called for a job like that but I told them that it would put me to far over weight. Plus I would have to go over the chesapeake bay bridge. For those who dont know it is 17 miles long and it always seems to be a little windy when I have to go across it.

  46. #46cat3202008-01-12 17:14

    Well I think 4 bundels make a square so you can figure the weight that way for what ever a bundel is. I do know I saw a kenworth medium duty try to pick a fully loaded 20 yard can uo from a roofing job and it was lifting the nose of the truck up needless to say they did not pick up that can and had to off load some before it could go.

  47. #47bins2008-01-12 22:35

    I have a 24k # hook lift so it would lift it but I think the weight of 80 squares comes out to 8-9tons. Then I would be 1-2tons overweight.

  48. #48Nac2008-01-14 17:02

    Dont forget the wieght of the box my 20 weigh 1.5 tons. I just did 2 20 for a roof job they weight 9.8 tons each

  49. #49bins2008-01-14 18:22

    Yeah with my 20 I can legally haul 7 tons in it. Weighs about 3500#

  50. #50Nac2008-01-14 19:21

    I can haul 8 tons in my legally

  51. #51bins2008-02-01 19:15

    WoW business is SLOOOOOOOOOW. Dropped 1 can in the last 2 weeks. From what I am hearing everyone is slow right now in my area. Need some advice on picking up some work. Right I have a half page ad in yellow pages. Sent out over 500 letters. Just got my custom carpenter pencils today (thanks minibins) and pass them out to contractors at Home Depot. Contractors really liked them. Who doesnt like something for free. Also I will be passing out flyers to neighborhoods next week to get the people that need to clean out there attics, garage, back yards, and whatever else. Need some words of advice guys. Thanks BINS

  52. #52cat3202008-02-01 21:22

    well if you do clean outs too you could post one of those tear off type ads at the local supermarket. put flyers on trucks at home centers. blue book is also good for commercial work too.

  53. #53bins2008-02-01 23:05

    What is Blue Book?

  54. #54cat3202008-02-01 23:13

    It's a yellow pages for contractors. here is there site http://thebluebook.com/

  55. #55mcabbage2008-02-02 09:34

    Hi Guy's, Bins, One thing I thought of to drum up business is to get the real estate listings, people that are moving always have trash to get rid of and maybe you could also get an ad in the local real estate mags. Sorry not trying to hyjack your post but im under probation (first post) and Ive got a problem with the pto in my hooklift truck, And im sure you guys know more about it than me. I have a new Stellar slider 20 hooklift on a 06 GMC 6500 w/auto trans, when I am droping my box truck or cans and in neutral the pto keeps shutting off on me, after returning the hooklift lever to the neutral position pto will kick back on after a few seconds and is a vicous cyle till unloaded. Also it does not do this every time? With the mud around here it seems less damaging to lawns to drop the box where you want it and let it push the truck forward while unloading. Should i be dropping off boxes with the truck in neutral, it does not do this in park or does anybody have any ideas i might check. The manual does not say and the dealer is looking into it (Who knows how long that will take) Thanks for any help or coments you all might have, Mike

  56. #5690plow2008-02-02 16:30

    Our F650 will do that to I think its just an adjustment on the PTO lever in the cab thats out. -Eric

  57. #57mcabbage2008-02-03 21:08

    Thanks Eric I will check into it Mike

  58. #58bins2008-02-03 23:16

    Can someone tell me why my hook is raised a little after it has been sitting for a day or so.

  59. #59Steve Frazier2008-02-04 12:19

    One possibility is a temperature change. If it was parked in the cold with the hook down, and the temperature outside went up considerably, the expansion of the oil while it warmed would raise the hook slightly. I have a similar problem with skid steer attachments, expanded warm oil puts so much pressure on the hose connections that they can't be connected.

  60. #60bins2008-02-18 20:58

    Thankfully business picked up. I will be taking delivery of 9 more cans tomorrow. Six 10yd and Three 20yd. I guess when you only offer 10 and 20 then 10s are very popular. So my total will be 19 cans. Ten 20s and Nine 10s.

  61. #61Nac2008-02-18 21:31

    yes let the truck roll out of the cans way always in neutral with no brake sam with lifting.

  62. #62mcabbage2008-02-18 22:45

    Bins Glad to hear business has picked up for you, It has for me on the remodeling end. I havent started advertising for the dumpsters just yet. Nac Thats what i thought, I returned the truck back to Dejana (the upfitter) and they had to rewire the pto differently, for some reason the truck computer kept shutting down the high idle when sensing the truck rolling? They tried reprograming the truck computer but that didnt work. At least that what they are saying. It is working good now. Mike

  63. #63bins2008-03-22 15:29

    A little update in case anyone cares. I have a total of 19 cans ( ten 20's and nine 11's) for the past week I only have 2 cans at a time which is good. Trying to find out when I need to order my next set of ten. And by the way I am still broke. Hope this business isn't going to be a money pit lol.

  64. #64mcabbage2008-03-22 16:07

    Hi Bins, We care, Money is tight right now!

  65. #65bins2008-04-18 23:19

    How much do you all try to make off each can after tipping fees?

  66. #66bins2008-05-05 21:45

    Any of you guys had to dump a can at a site b.c of non payment of a can.

  67. #67kamerad472008-05-06 16:39

    what are you asking , You put a box on a job site & they don't what to pay? I would call them up give them & opportunity to pay if not dump where it sits! & cut your losses & move on, there's deadbeats out there!

  68. #68CM19952008-05-06 21:33

    Yep - we did last week. A local molding company went out of business and owed us for the last 30CY pick up. Can is sitting there not earning money and no one to pay except for the bank in foreclosure - yeah right. Go get the box, dump the load on the spot and get that box out earning money again. I will not pay a dump fee for a box that the customer will not or cannot pay for. I have this agreement with Mack Financial, our can manufacturer, the landfill, fuel company, our employee's and insurance company - that they provide what we need to conduct business and I send them a check every week (employees) and every month (everyone else). If I fail to make my payments, I don't have a business. I extend the same financial agreements to the customers we serve.

  69. #6906bowtie_guy2008-05-07 00:36

    Not in the business but around here when I needed one I had to give a set amount up-front, enought to cover the bin and possible tipping fee. After tipping fee either you got some back or had to give a little more.

  70. #70bins2008-05-07 07:54

    The can is at someone home but the contractor is doing the remodeling. Before I dump it in the driveway I will just ask the homeowner if they want to pay for it and take it out of the money they owe him. If not it will be getting dumped today b.c I need that can today.

  71. #71cat3202008-05-07 13:58

    well that is probably the right thing to do ask the home owner if they will pay for it if not then you will have no choice but to leave there waste there.

  72. #72kubota1232008-05-20 19:35

    Did you end up having to dump that can out on the guy who wouldn't pay? I would say on a smaller truck like yours after the tipping fee I would shoot for $250-$275 profit. Well actually you should probably shoot for $325 and hope to end up around $250-$275. Between truck insurance and gas prices I think thats what you have to make about to keep being able to buy more boxes. Good luck with business and hope to hear more about it.

  73. #73bins2008-05-20 22:36

    I make the most money on homeowners b.c boxes are so light. Homeowners I make about $200 and $150 on contractors after tipping fees. Tough market here. As I get more business I will then raise my prices to what the other guys are charging.

  74. #74kubota1232008-05-21 01:08

    Yeah I guess that is a little high. I know a guy who runs the larger boxes and I think he shoots for around $400 a box profit.

  75. #75kubota1232008-05-21 01:11

    Are you still paying the same prices on the bins as you were before or have they gone up?

  76. #76CM19952008-05-21 07:35

    Hey Kubota123, welcome to the forums.:drinkup Wow! $400 in profit from a 20-30CY can? What is this guy charging in the first place, I wish we made that much. Our 30's go out at an average of $375-400, 6 ton cap and sometimes a fuel surcharge. Our landfill gate rate is $19 per ton. Yes cans have gotten outrageous in price, due to the increase in steel prices. About a year ago we were buying 30's for $3200 and change. Now the same 30 is $4400. Definetely puts a bite into any expansion plans.

  77. #77kubota1232008-05-21 13:17

    He runs 30 and 40 yard bins. He is spending about $6,500 a can up here in Oregon.

  78. #78bins2008-06-17 19:35

    So how much work am I losing by not having my name on all my boxes. Work is really really really slow. I am running out of money. But I dont have my name on about 14 out of 19 cans. After all my planning I made the biggest mistake by not putting the names on them. What do you think?

  79. #79Wolf2008-06-17 19:47

    make a stencil and a can of paint and get to work. better idea--go to a local art college and get the students on summer break to paint the cans in a unique design (of your liking, of course). then everyone in town will know your boxes . . .

  80. #80CM19952008-06-17 20:25

    Hey Bins- Branding is everything in this business. You need to have your name and number all over every can you have out. Advertising is expensive but a vital part of this business.

  81. #81mcabbage2008-06-17 21:39

    Hi Bins, I like the idea of magnetic stencle, simple & cheap! I dont think people give a sh#@ what they look like, as long as they can read it. (unless maybe your putting cans in million dollar neiborhoods). Keep us posted and hang in there! Mike

  82. #82Earthy2008-06-29 15:25

    Good info here. Can anyone elaborate on their set up? I am considering a roll of for a c7500 for landscaping. Cab to axle is 12'. Any advice?

  83. #83mcabbage2008-06-29 22:07

    Hi I will give it a try, Ive got GMC 6500 156" cab to axle set up with a 20k Stellar sliding hooklift which is good for containers 12 feet to 18 feet. I am a building and remodeling contractor and very happy with set up. we have a 18' cargo box and three open top containers so far 10, 15 & 20 yards. I am planning to add a 18' flatbed sometime soon. I use the 10 & 15 for disposal on jobs and the 20 yard as dump truck/ or for loads of loam/stone and moving around bobcat & kaboda backhoe etc. The truck handles the weight great but have had a couple electrical problems. The turning radius is fantastik better than my pickup. We will rent out the cans every so often but i dont make a living from it yet, I am hoping to get more & more into it. I got the 156" CA. because i already had the 18' cargo box from my first truck and it was already setup for my tools & stuff. The box fits the wheelbase great without to much overhang at the rear end. I got the sliding hooklift version to handle the many different lenght things i wanted carry, It's like the swiss army knife of trucks! The one thing I dont like about it is the bed of the truck is about a foot higher off the ground than without the hooklift but it is handy to drop it on the ground for some things too. I Hope this helps you Mike

  84. #84Earthy2008-06-29 23:51

    Thanks. What is the dump angle like?

  85. #85mcabbage2008-06-30 06:32

    I dont remember exactly but something around 55 degrees. Nothing stays in there unless its frozen/

  86. #86Earthy2008-06-30 07:28

    My understanding is that hook lifts are heavier and more expensive than roll offs. Is that true? What is the weight of your hook lift. What do you gross in the truck?

  87. #87mcabbage2008-06-30 09:01

    Sorry I dont know anything about roll off's My hooklift alone is about 3000# Cab & Chassie with hooklift is 14,120 # Gvw is 25,900 leaving me about 11,700 # It works for me because of smaller loads i carry. I have excavation contractor for larger stuff we need to do. Mike

  88. #88bobcatrg2008-08-16 21:18

    Hey Bins, How is business?

  89. #89bins2008-08-16 23:20

    Sucks, I am trying to sell the company now.

  90. #90PSDF3502008-08-17 09:31

    Sorry to hear that.

  91. #91Pigseye2008-11-01 20:00

    business Hey bins just wondering if business had picked up for you at all? Paul

  92. #92bins2008-11-02 09:47

    No. I am down from 19 cans to 7 now. Still trying to sell it off.

  93. #93-RollOff-2008-11-04 00:00

    I see these smaller drop boxes dieing off in my area also. I think alot of homebuilders primarily used the smaller ones. Good luck tho and hope things work out in the end.

  94. #94bins2012-12-10 21:23

    I am looking to get back in the business again. I miss it. Still think about it regularly. Thinking of f550 v10 with a small hook. Dont know if I want 10 or 15yd cans. Any ideas?