Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 TL140 or 2008 Case 420CT

andersoncol_2 ยท 2012-02-23 07:10

Hey all, I'm looking at buying a tracked skidsteer, and I've got my eye on a couple units. Unit #1 is a 2007 Tak TL140 with 1300 hrs, 2 speed, heat and a/c for $28,000(firm price). Recently had a scheduled 1150hr service. Will include a second set of tracks for an extra $900. Unit #2 is a 2008 Case 420CT series 3 with 1000 hrs, ride control, hydraulic q/c, 2 speed, auxillary front electric, heat and a/c, am/fm stereo for $27,000(but taking reasonable offers). Both units in decent shape, with the Case being very slightly rougher than the Tak. They are both private sales and I have a Case/Tak dealer close by. Both seem to have a decent price on them. Tak operating weight is 9769 Case Operating weight is 8340+157 for glass and susp seat Tak HP is 81 HP Case HP is 74 Tak is 69.7" wide with 18" tracks Case is 68" with 12.6" track Seems that Case has slightly faster cycle times, Higher amp alternator, and a little more aux hydraulic flow. I will be doing landscaping, snow removal(I know tires are better for pushing snow), drilling post holes, brush cutting, concrete breaking, etc. I'm really stuck in between the two. Which one would you go after? All technical information was taken from Tak and Case websites.

Replies5
  1. #106Pete2012-02-23 07:43

    I don't know much about case But I love my Takeuchi TL240. It has great power like nothing I have ran before the reach is great for loading trucks. It just out preforms any other skidloader I have ran before as far as power on the tracks. The cycle times might be a bit slower than some but it is very responsive with the piolot controls that is one main reason I bought it if piolot controls are good for excavators than they should last on a skidloader. I was not impressed with the E/H controls on others. My local dealer sells both and when I asked about a case I got you don't want one. If that is their impression I don't want to rely on them to keep it running. Just my experiance I don't think the price is bad on the tak either I would look around for tracks as I don't like the OEM tread pattern I am thinking of switching to the prowler tracks that look like the asv tread. The oem leaves alot of marks in yards to rake out where my cat does not.

  2. #2KSSS2012-02-23 09:30

    Those two really dont compare well. The 420CT has a lower ROC than does 140. The 420 is the smallest CTL that CASE made in that series. The 140 is the second largest TK makes. The 140 and the 440 or 450CT from CASE are more comparable. However as if these are the two you are interested in for me it would depend on what you expected to do with the machines. If its a lot hard excavating type work. The heavier more powerful TK would be a better choice. If you plan on lighter duty type work, spreading topsoil and running a Harley rake and so forth I would get the CASE. The TK is a huge machine, great if you need that much machine and a pain if you dont. The Series 3 cab in the CASE is very nice. The TK is not as nice and is loud, the cab is huge but its like sitting in a 55 gal barrel. The noise just amplifies itself. TK builds a solid machine. It would really depend on what you want to do with the machine as to which would be the better choice. They both specialize in far different types of work.

  3. #3kyoshidog2012-02-23 12:00

    I have 2 Tak machines, a TL140 and a TB145 and love them both. The 140 has all the power you will ever need, is comfortable to operate, and, in my opinion has good visibility. I don't know about the one you are looking at but mine came with only a hand throttle. I added a foot throttle which came (I think) from Gehl as an aftermarket kit and was not hard to install and well worth it in my opinion. I have never had any problems with either of my machines, use lots of grease, do maintenance as scheduled etc. I have never operated any Case skids but I am sure they are a good machine but IMHO Tak won't dissappoint you!

  4. #4andersoncol_22012-02-23 15:16

    Is there anything on these machines that I should be looking for? Common issues, etc?

  5. #5xcmark2012-02-23 19:30

    the TAK is less refined then the case but it really comes down to what are you going to do with it? If your stripping top soil or moving a large amount of dirt the TAK is king . Both are solid well built machines but I think long term the BIG TAK is a better machine .