Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 753 fuel starvation?

MX45 ยท 2012-02-26 00:37

Today I used the 753 with the Kubota motor to move some ten ton of gravel. Got down to the last few buckets carrying over 100 meters each way and she died like she had fuel starvation but the gauge says 3/4 full and I know that to be true since I filled to top before starting. So opened up the gate and here is what I saw - fuel pump bulb was limp on compression and obviously had air, opened the drain on the fuel filter and a little bit of fuel came out and some pressurised air. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Went and got ten litres of fuel and she took about 8 litres to brim. Pumped the fuel bulb and it came back to pressure but motor would still not start. Flattened the battery and off to the shed - 150 meters away for a second battery. Second battery turned the motor OK but no start. (Battery in bobcat is probably near its end. ) I loosened off what I hoped was the bleed valve to the injectors - when I did that I heard lots of air rushing around in the fuel filter and lines I think. I kept that open and pumped the fuel bulb many times with firm pressure until I did not hear air bubbles anywhere. I could not get it to bleed fuel from the air bleed but there was some fuel around the valve. Jumped in and the motor started with some obvious fuel starvation but ran perfect in a matter of a few moments. That was a great relief as it was sitting out in the middle of the paddock where too much temptation would have been for local idiots. So one question is can I tow the Bobcat if this happens again??? That is will I damage the drives if I tow it behind a big tractor back to the shed??? Second and obvious question is what do you guys think is the issue here? I have got to add that the fuel gauge has jumped around all over the place since I got the machine a 100 hours ago or so. I guess from reading on the site here that the fuel pick up is a probable offender???? What do you think ATCO if you are listening??? Previously I have been pretty good at filling before she is more than half empty as the fuel gauge cant be relied upon. MY guess is the fuel pick up but before I start picking targets I want the best advices please? Pictures appreciated of how to get to the fuel pick ups on the tank - looks difficult - advices as to what to remove etc appreciated. Regards, MX45

Replies4
  1. #1crewchief8882012-02-26 11:49

    best guess would be the fuel pickup hose inside the tank is cracked or broken off. :drinkup raise the arms, install the boom stop raise the cab fuel pickup hose is in the top front of the fuel tank towards the rh side steel (or plastic) elbow and a rubber grommet. get a new grommet, hose, 2 clamps, and screen if you have the plastic elbow, replace it with a steel elbow :drinkup

  2. #2MX452012-02-27 00:26

    Thanks CC888, I had a small idea but found your advice sound. Since I filled it to the brim if I took the fuel tee off then I would get spilled fuel so went to get another half hours work done. Murphy's Law came into play and I was on my third bucket when it stopped halfway???? Managed to get it started by pumping the bulb only this time. Went about 100 meters and let it idle while I worked a bit on something and it died??? So much for my thought the leak was on quarter way down the pisk up??? After fiddling in the rain I managed to fill a half litre bottle and gravity feed the fuel bulb to the filter - went the necessary 35 meters back to the shed after a few false starts. So the pick up and return are next to one another - the pick up was the one to the front but on my machine on the LHS looking to the rear. Not easy but not too difficult. Pulled it out expecting to find a split fuel line and ----------------- nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must be sitting in the bottom of the tank. Only thing left was a metal clip and a piece of cylindrical clear fuel line about on quarter inch in length. Came off and fell to pieces in my hands - brittle as! So found some clear fuel line, made up a clamp with gal wire and sealed with auto silicone. Blew out fuel lines. Cut an old banjo and fitted stainless mesh to inside and affixed to other pick up end. Blew with compressed air to confirm function and blow away anything loose. Sealed grommet with silicone on re-fitting. So I will check tomorrow if it runs for more than a few minutes - should be OK unless too much gunk in the bottom of the tank as old pick up must have been splitting on its way up and drawing from higher in the tank. Regards, MX45

  3. #3crewchief8882012-02-27 16:11

    sorry for the confusion on the PU line location, right and left are determined as you are sitting in the seat the fuel line usually breaks off right at the elbow. the hoses gets brittle with age. FWIW you'll probably still have some fuel issues, the screen in the bottom of the tank has a check valve in it to stop fuel from draining back. be prepared to have to pump up the primer bulb the next time. :drinkup

  4. #4MX452012-02-28 02:25

    Thanks again. Waited 24hrs for the silicone to cure fully before sloshing the fuel about. Pumped the bulb until good compression - took quite a few compressions and then pumped for several more. Bobcat started first time. Took it backwards up a steep hill and worked on the hill. Did not cut out but did give some low rev moments but I was going through 2ft of grass and potholes etc and pushing/pulling large shrubs etc and old banana stakes. I am thinking I have another problem. Recently I serviced the steering/drive controls and adjusted them and all seemed fine but maybe there is something in the adjustment. When I pull back hard on the RHLever the skid will steer back to the LHS but with some jumpy movements in the action - maybe I noticed more on the hill - 15 degrees or more - or maybe it is just me operating it??? LH Lever works much more smoothly with no bumpy action - so there is a difference. I am wondering if I adjust the RHLever arrangement to be more reverse operating and a little less forward operating if that may smooth itself out???? Any ideas??? I think when the revs went lower it also could have been me bumping in the seat and unintentionally operating some of the hydraulic actions together. Anyway ran OK - just a few concerns yet. Really hoping this is not how drive motors go with this stop/start function??? Any advices appreciated, Regards, MX45