Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 Case 435 won’t start!

Bownc ยท 2014-04-05 13:37

I recently just purchased a case 435 skid steer. I have put several hour on the machine with no issues. While I was pushing a load of dirt the machines stalled and now won't start. It will turn over but won't fire. I checked fuses and all are fine. Cracked fuel lines on top of the injectors and it's getting fuels which leads me to believe something in the electrical is causing the problem.

Replies14
  1. #1alrman2014-04-05 18:41

    Welcome to HEF Bownc! The 400 series has a interlock switch fitted to the 4in1 spool at the control valve. This is often the culprit. Try wriggling the control to be certain it is not sticky, & neutralized properly. If that doesn't work you need to check the switch. Of course, to do that, you need to raise the loader frame to tilt the cab .....bit of a problem if it's not running ....... you need another machine or crane/forklift to do so. We need to send some of these machine designers to deal with this sort of thing - in the real world. Also check the operator presence switch in the seat + the lapbar switch + if you have a entry door, there will be a switch fitted there. Let us know how you go.

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-04-05 20:34

    Will it fire with a shot of starting fluid ?

  3. #3Bownc2014-04-06 08:40

    Luckily the way it sits I can lift the cab up. And no it with wont fire on starting fluid. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!

  4. #4melben2014-04-07 22:35

    I checked both series of the 435 skid steer and they are both equipped with grid heaters. Please do not use starting fluid on these engines as serious damage from ignited starting fluid in the intake can cause extensive damage or possible bodily injury. Mel

  5. #5Bownc2014-04-09 09:18

    I know there is something wrong so starting fluid won't solve anything. Check a solenoid in the injection pump. Can't here it click when I put power to it. Pulled it out and it worked. The lead going to the solenoid has no power so I'm going to find a 12v source and go directly to the solenoid and see if that works. I have fuel come out above the injector when I crank it over. It's not spraying out like I thought it would.

  6. #6Bownc2014-04-09 09:22

    Call the dealer also and he said if it cranks over it probably not the safety circuit and thought it has more to do with the injection pump like bad solenoid or it jumped out of time. And the fuel coming out of the injector lines is from the fuel pump and not the injection pump. If that makes any sense.

  7. #7Dirt and Dust2023-09-19 13:04

    How's it Alrman, I'm having the same problem, I will mention when I push the left stick inwards (towards operator) in the lowering boom position it goes past the dead stop and gets stuck, Is this what your in reference too? Thank you!!

  8. #8alrman2023-09-19 16:30

    Wecome to HEF @Dirt and Dust If you are having the same problem, the above advice still stands. Also the LH lever operation you are describing is normal - when it locks down that position is called 'float' - it opens oil flow to both sides of the lift cylinder pistons & allows the bucket to ride up & down over the ground.

  9. #9Dirt and Dust2023-09-20 03:59

    Thank you for your reply, I never noticed it to do that before I have had the machine for about 12 years now or so. I did get it run for about 10 minutes and bam, it's off again with no avail. If I pull the solenoid off the spools can I test them with confidence.

  10. #10Dirt and Dust2023-09-20 04:46

    In this diagram, which one is the lockout solenoid, thank you!

  11. #11alrman2023-09-20 19:01

    The switch marked #9 on the auxiliary spool acts as a neutral start switch - the 4in1 pedal must be in the neutral position to start the engine. So, you need to check if the switch has a problem. Does this machine have a front door? If it doesn't, there is a bridging connector that would be where the door safety switch would normally be connected on the wiring harness above your feet when sitting in the cab. I've seen these get damaged by operators with big feet......check that as well.

  12. #12Dirt and Dust2023-09-20 20:54

    I'm thankful I asked, Thank you Alrman! My machine has 2 toggle or rocker switches on the left hand controller, so no 4in1 on this machine. No door as well, even though I have big ol feet, good to remember! Is the # 9 solenoid testable? Mahalo Nui Loa for your time!

  13. #13alrman2023-09-21 15:46

    It is just a switch, so it's operation can be tested with a 12v test light or a multimeter.

  14. #14Dirt and Dust2023-09-22 11:43

    Ok I'll give her a go today! Thank you!