Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help, 1835B hydrostatic drive motor leaking

Jmuntean ยท 2014-04-05 11:04

I have an 1835B with a leaking drive motor. It appears I have to lift the cab. Any advice? Is there a proper procedure for chain tensioning? How much oil needs left in the compartment for the chains?

Replies3
  1. #11466IH2014-04-05 22:51

    You don't have to remove the cab but is does make life a lot easier to get down inside the machine. Remove the seat, battery, and the frame that the seat sets on. Pull the wheel off of that side and loosen the four bolts on each hub then back off the adjusters. Most times they twist off so I just gut off the old block and make a new one and weld back on because it is quicker and easier than trying to drill out and extract the broken bolt. I can't remember if the hole in the chain case is big enough to slide out the motor and sprocket together or if the sprocket needs to be removed first so check before removing both chains. Then I get out my 50 strand telephone cable and mark each hose/ port on the motor with corresponding colors. While you have everything apart check you hub seals and chains because now is the time to fix them and I do know from experience that broken chains in those cases cause a lot of damage. Make sure mating surface behind the hubs is clean because the other ring on the hub has to slide against it to tighten the chain. Reinstall your motor then put your chains back on and when you tighten the chains i always coat the o-rings and mating surface that you should have cleaned with some dish soap or the o-ring soap you use for liners and then just get the hubs on the studs and just start the nuts on with a few threads the run in your tensioner bolt until you have about 3/4 or 1" of play in the chain. I am pretty sure that the book only calls for like 1.5gal of 80/90 but I filled mine up just to the bottom of the holes for the hub so that when I am on hilly ground the up hill chain has a better chance of getting oil. Case says just to fill it up to an inch above the bottom of the driven or wheel sprocket. Then reassemble the rest. Good luck I hope I have been thorough enough but if you have more questions let me know Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  2. #2Jmuntean2014-04-06 02:24

    I removed the drive motor, thank you for the help. Does that motor need timed when put back together after I rebuild it?

  3. #31466IH2014-04-06 09:55

    What to you mean by timed I have never had one of the motors apart all I have ever done is swapped them out Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk