Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 case 580 super m problems

mheisch · 2013-05-20 17:08

i am working on a case 580 super m that will randomly shut off has 25 stared codes on cluster I cannot get my scanner to communicate with it here are codes 1019 1002 1045 3173 1004 3171 3104 1021 3015 3007 3034 3029 3019 3137 3112. Runs fine usually but will just shut off sometimes it restarts sometimes it does not thanks in advance

Replies7
  1. #1mheisch2013-05-20 19:26

    I was thinking maybe a fuel shut off problem but why would I have no communication with any modules?

  2. #2fpgm042013-05-21 00:19

    Unfortunately, this is not going to be a short reply given the number of codes you listed and a little more information from your display is going to be needed to diagnose. First, are you listing the codes out in order? Specifically 1 of x, 2 of x, 3 of x, etc? The order that codes are listed in is important! The newest codes will be first. I suspect some of the codes you have listed are old history and no longer relate to current conditions. Second, what is the hour meter value listed for each code? (number next to the “Hr:” on the code display) Third, how many occurrence counts are for each fault? (number next to “Occ:” on the code display) The above information will be useful to troubleshoot your problem. Ideally, you should look at your instrument cluster as soon as the engine shuts down. When this occurs look at all of the codes with the same hour meter value as is currently on your machine. These are the codes that are active and are most important to troubleshoot the problem. Also, note if the red “stop” LED on, or is the yellow “!”/warning indicator on? In any case, it appears you have a variety of codes. Some of them would not be indication of an condition that would shut down the engine. For example 1004 is hydraulic filter restriction. There are several other codes like 1019 and 1002 that indicate high coolant temperature, but again this would not shut down the engine. Codes like 1045 indicate your fuel sendor had/has on open circuit at some point in it life. Again probably no big deal, perhaps someone just disconnected the wire for other work at some point in time. However, the codes that would be an indicator of conditions that could shutdown the engine are some of the 3xxx codes. Specifically there are several that fuel rail pressure (or lack of) related. Without more information it is difficult to say. If you can provide the codes with the latest hour meter value and their associate occurrence counts more diagnosis can done. Lastly, on your second post, you say “lack of communication with any modules”. Can you clarify what you mean by that? There are no communication bus faults in the codes you provided, so what communication loss are you referring to?

  3. #3mheisch2013-05-21 21:25

    The codes I put are in order when I say no communication I mean my netiq graphiq says no modules when plugged into diagnostic port. The counts are as follows 1019x1 1002x1 1045x2 3173x7 1004x250 3171x14 3104x4 1021x3 3015x3 3007x3 3034x3 3029x3 3019x3 3137x3 3112x3 all the 3000 codes were at hour 638 all of them before that we're at hour 337 I appreciate all the help the owner also told me today that case came out when he first bought the backhoe and told him it was algea in the fuel but I don't know the relevance of that because it runs like a champ when it does once again thanks a bunch

  4. #4Delmer2013-05-21 22:14

    If somebody (even the dealer!) said it was algae in the fuel (clogging somewhere), then you can diagnose it the old fashioned way when it doesn't restart. Check for fuel pressure where there should be pressure and too much suction where there there should be a little suction. Or hook the fuel lines up to a small tank with fresh fuel and see if it stops stalling.

  5. #5mheisch2013-05-21 22:31

    I don't believe it because it is an intermittent issue the tractor gets a tank run through it a day and doesn't sit idle long

  6. #6fpgm042013-05-22 00:12

    Ok I am far from the engine experts you will find on this forum, but lets do some basic translation work with the codes… At least it may help triage for the engine guys. If I understand correctly, the 1019 code is in the first (1 of x) position, so that is your latest code. Everything from there is older. 1019x1 – 1 occurrence (hour meter after 638) of coolant too high. This is not going to kill your engine and one occurrence is nothing to worry about. 1002x1 – 1 occurrence (hour meter after 638) of engine coolant critical too high 1045x2 – 2 occurrences (hour meter after 638) with fuel sender open circuit. Maybe just some dirt in the fuel sender wiper arm, but also could be indication of fuel contamination in your tank/system. 3173x7 – 7 occurrences (last occurrence at hour meter 638)of rail pressure governor deviation below min. It would appear there is something causing lack of rail pressure. This will kill your engine. Possible causes include (but not limited to) are restrictive fuel filter or lines on the low pressure side, or on the high pressure side worn injector, leaking relief valve, worn pump, etc. 1004x250 – 250 occurrences of hydraulic filter blocked. Have you been operating in cold weather? If so that might explain, but it also may be an indication that new hydraulic filter is required. In any case, this will not kill your engine. 3171x14 – 14 occurrences rail pressure too low. The causes are the same as 3173. 3104x4 -4 occurances of rail pressure relief valve open. This could mean a faulty rail pressure sensor or other injection item. 1021x3 I am assuming the codes below are older history at hour meter 337, so I won’t go any further. Although several of these are fuel system related… 3015x3 3007x3 3034x3 3029x3 3019x3 3137x3 3112x3 Based on my experience when I have seen these codes. More times than not, the fuel filter is getting clogged. I would start with replacing the fuel filter, particularly as you are also getting fuel sender open circuit codes which is possible indication of grit/contaminates in the fuel tank causing the fuel sensor to open circuit. If that does not take care of it, then proceed with fuel pressures etc. You will need a service manual to determine correct pressures and troubleshooting procedures, and that is where the engine experts on this forum can advise far better than I. Again, if you have another occurrence when the engine stops, get the first codes out of the list. (This list will reorganize upon each new code, with the newest codes put to the top of the list). This may help narrow down what is occurring. I am not familiar with the specific tool you reference. In any case, your controllers are obviously on-line. There are no codes to indicate otherwise, and the vehicle would not be running normally if they were off-line. I hope this helps.

  7. #7mheisch2013-05-22 00:24

    Thank you I will put a fuel filter on tomm and report back the nexiq is a snap on brand heavy duty code reader for medium duty on up trucks I have never had a problem retrieving codes with it but I have also never worked on a case before I really appreciate the advice and will let you know tommorow