Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 Gehl 5240 skid

Farmup · 2019-09-01 21:44

I am having trouble with my skid. When I turn the key to glow plug position, after the plugs are warm an alarm sounds and I can not start. Just goes tick! Has anyone else had this problem? Battery is good, oil is good. lights on on the dash are battery and oil pressure. I figure those two lights are on due to the fact that the machine isn’t running. Not sure why the alarm is sounding?? Thanks for the help.

Replies3
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2019-09-03 09:14

    Do you have a multimeter? Need to see that the battery is indeed charged up, check the cables are tight and not corroded, then follow to the starter solenoid to make sure it's getting start signal voltage. Basically start by check battery volts, then positive at the solenoid lug from the battery cable, then to the starter when the key is turned (and volts at the small signal wire).

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-09-03 11:41

    What brand of starter? If it's a Nippondenso the contacts in the solenoid may not be making proper contact and arcing. It will just click. Sometimes multiple tries will get it to turn over. Contacts can be sanded which usually helps. There's threads on here and the internet about ND starters and fixes. It's annoying for sure. Not sure what the alarm would be though. Maybe low oil pressure or something because it wouldn't turn over?

  3. #3Farmup2019-09-03 12:00

    Right On!!! Battery was good. Followed the wires to the starter and all the voltage was good. I disconnected the wires and cleaned them and IT WORKS. Must have been a little loose or corroded. Looked clean at glance but needed to be shined up. Thanks