Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 John Deere 310SJ broken window

kcole · 2016-06-27 19:52

Hello, First time posting here. I have a 2008 John Deere 310SJ with a broken upper rear window. I was using the backhoe the other day and I started to slide the rear window down and it completely shattered into to pieces. I'm getting ready to order a replacement window and I'm installing it myself. I'm not sure how to install it and was hoping to get some help. Has anyone ever replaced the upper rear window before? Can you walk me through the process? Are there any tips or tricks I should know? Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Deon2016-06-28 06:47

    Although I work with glass for a living, I have no experience with that particular project but I would like to mention something. That is tempered glass and it shattered for a reason. A deep scratch from a small stone stuck in the track or a latch mounted through the glass with a missing or damaged protector gasket like a plastic or rubber washer or sleeve can cause a shatter situation. Make sure everything touching the glass is clean of any old glass and anything other hard material and that anything that bolts through is well protected from contact with metal. Good luck.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2016-06-28 21:48

    To install the glass remove the rubber one one side. Put the window in place. Put the rubber back into the upper part of the frame. Slide the window up into the rubber. Pull the rest of the rubber down with a pair of needle nose pliers. Hope this makes sense.

  3. #3DIRT BOSS2017-01-25 08:07

    Hi, Did your window install easy I'm going through he same thing and my replacement glass seems 1/2" to big!! I took both tracks out on each side but it still hits metal cab frame?? Any thoughts would be helpful before I attempt to bend the glass and push!!

  4. #4Vince Hudak2020-05-24 12:00

    Trying to replace middle glass in JD 410G any help much appreciated

  5. #5DIRT BOSS2020-05-24 12:16

    Hey bud same thing happened to me but I had found out the first gen of the g series they changed so the aftermarket glass doesn't fit I had to go to the dealer the correct size.

  6. #6Swingindirt2024-04-18 09:52

    We have always used a porta power to open the frame. That’s what the mechanics at jd told us.