Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 T190 Bobcat No Travel or Hydraulics

hotrod45 ยท 2016-05-08 13:29

Hi Everyone: We have a T190 Bobcat with The SHC Controls. I am up North working so cannot see what happened but my son told me he got stuck in mud and was using the bucket to pull hinself forward and backward to try and get out. He was of course using the tracks to help propel the bobcat. Said all of a sudden there was a loud continuous beep and the hydraulics and travel were inoperative. Said he was in mud about 1 foot deep when it happened. He let the machine sit to cool but said the engine temperature was normal. Once he restarted still had no travel or hydraulis but all four BICS lights are on and the machine will run a short time but then shutdown. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what he could try to get the thing mobile? Thanks

Replies23
  1. #1willie592016-05-08 16:04

    The alarm on the machine should be sounding 3 short beeps with a machine in this condition. Those beeps indicate a fault that the ECM is seeing. When you hear those three short beeps, push and hold down the headlight switch, this will bring up the active fault codes in the hour meter display. Aside from that, check the drive belt.

  2. #2crewchief8882016-05-10 16:57

    my money is on the drive belt either loose, or broken when the belt breaks or is loose enough it wont drive the pump to create charge pressure. when the controller see's an eng RPM signal at a certain speed, and not enough corresponding charge pressure, it sets a warning for low charge, if the pressure drops farther, a 2nd warning for extremely low pressure is activated if charge pressure isnt within spec within 15 seconds, the controller shuts the engine down. :drinkup

  3. #3hotrod452016-05-10 23:08

    Thanks. I'm still up |North. |||Will be home om Saturday and try to pull it out of the mud with a tractor so we can look at it. Your help is much appreciated.

  4. #4hotrod452016-05-14 20:40

    Well, I got home and we tried to pull the Bobcat out but could not. We did shovel enough to get the back door open part of the way but will have to do a lot more shovelling to get it open all the way. As soon as we opened the back door a lot of what I believe is hydraulic oil poured out. Due to the amount of mud that is inside the back end and the fact the door was only partially open we could not see where the hydraulic oil was coming from. Does anybody have any thoughts of where it could be from or what has broken for it to leak that much? Thanks

  5. #5hotrod452016-05-14 23:32

    Just had a thought here about the leaking hydraulic oil. When pulling on the Bobcat we had the chain going under the bucket so the arms. The bucket and lift arms would raise as the chain tightened. Could hydraulic oil have been forced out into the engine compartment through a relief valve or something like that? Thanks

  6. #6willie592016-05-14 23:54

    As with any hydraulic machine there's no way we could speculate where the hydraulic failure is, just too many things that could spring a leak. And yes, you could open a port relief and raise the loader arms when pulling, but not likely that would be a leak. You're going to have to get that machine in a spot where you can get the oil in the tank at proper level then start it up and see what happens, find what's dumping oil, not much better way to noodle it out.

  7. #7hotrod452016-05-18 20:29

    WE managed to jack the bobcat up out of the mud by using sacrificial scrap wood pushing down into the muck until it was firm enough to raise the bobcat and get some wood under it to support it. We pressure washed the mud out of the back and found the drive belt was fine. We then lifted the cab and saw a bunch of hydraulic oil down in the hydraulic/engine bay. I dumped five gallons into the hydraulic reservoir and started the machine. We got a loud beep and a warning about Hydraulic Charge pressure. Lifted the cab again and looks like we lost the 5 gallons of hydraulic oil again. We could not see where it was leaking from. Seeing as how we can't run the machine with the cab lifted can you guys give any information as to how you would determine where a leak is. Even with the cab lifted there is limited visibility in a lot of areas. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

  8. #8willie592016-05-18 20:36

    Sounds like you have a main hose busted, no way we would know which one, just too many hoses in there, you're pretty much going to have to start it with the cab up. It can be done, I've done it plenty of times on a Bobcat, it helps to be part monkey though, but it can be done, just be careful. You said "we" so it sounds like you have a helper. Add some oil back to the reservoir and momentarily start it with the cab up then shut it back down, right then have the helper dive in with a bright light and see if he can tell where the oil leak is. If not, repeat the process and have helper get a closer look before you shut it down. Just be careful of hydraulic oil spraying out. Gotta find where that leak is.

  9. #9hotrod452016-05-19 00:05

    Thanks. I am heading into a Uranium Mine tomorrow for 9 days but we will try that when I get back out. Your help is much appreciated.

  10. #10crewchief8882016-05-19 16:49

    if you are loosing oil that fast, the most common place would be the hose that runs from the hyd pump to the control valve. :drinkup

  11. #11hotrod452016-05-19 22:35

    Thanks. Will check that when I get back home.

  12. #12hotrod452016-05-28 19:12

    We managed to get the bobcat running with the cab partially raised and it looks like there is a hole in the hose that runs from the hydraulic/hydrostatic pump (Not sure if this machine has one or two pumps) to the left rear drive motor. I have a manual but the pictures are poor. If it is this hose do we have to remove the track to get at the fittings on the hydraulic motor? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thanks for everyone help so far.

  13. #13willie592016-05-28 21:16

    There are two hydrostat pumps, one for each drive motor, and a gear pump that serves as a charge pump for the hydrostats and operates the loader functions as well. Unfortunately, if one of the drive motor hose has busted you have to remove the track to access the fittings that connect it to the drive motor. Once you get the track off you'll find a steel cover plate over the hose connections. They're typically packed with dirt under that cover, clean everything good because you don't want to get dirt in the fittings when you disconnect the hose for replacement.

  14. #14hotrod452016-05-30 17:04

    Thanks. We'll remove the track and pressure wash everything before we take the hose connections apart.

  15. #15hotrod452016-06-04 11:27

    Is it a good idea to change the oil in the final drive when we have the track off. The manual mentions this but just wondering on your opinions? Anything else that should be done if the track is off? Thanks

  16. #16willie592016-06-04 17:09

    Sure, might as well because to change the oil in the final drive on a T190 drive motor you have to remove the track and the sprocket to access the plugs, hence the reason it rarely gets changed in these drive motors.

  17. #17hotrod452016-10-03 21:51

    Hi guys. I never did fix this machine as I had health/heart issues but am working on it now. I have to remove the track to get at the hydraulic hose that feeds the final drive but when I opened the grease valve on the track tensioning cylinder very lttle grease came out. I can get more out by jumping on the bottom of the track but I thought the spring pressure should be sufficient to release all of the tension. Could there be dirt in the track carriage that is keeping the track from de-tensioning? We pressure washed it and thought we cleaned it out. I also saw a video on youtube where the guy removes the track by running the tracks with wood in the sprocket to remove the tension. Since I have no hydraulics where do I pry with crow bars or how can I get the track off? Thanks

  18. #18willie592016-10-03 22:06

    I don't suppose you have access to a forklift? Or another skiddy with pallet fork attachment?

  19. #19hotrod452016-10-04 02:34

    No I don't. I do have a Case 830 Tractor but it doesn't have a front end loader. I have porta powers if they would be of any use.

  20. #20crewchief8882016-10-05 17:46

    removed the small access covers on the track frame and pry the adjuster back... :drinkup

  21. #21hotrod452016-10-05 17:59

    OK. If I have to pry the adjuster back does that mean there is a problem with the spring that puts tension on the track or could dirt be causing it not to move back automatically?

  22. #22crewchief8882016-10-05 18:36

    it will only move back "automatically" until the tension is off the track. you still have to collapse the grease cylinder manually :drinkup

  23. #23hotrod452016-10-05 19:36

    OK. Thanks. I was misunderstanding how it worked. We had about 6 inches of snow here today so I won't be looking at it for a few days until it warms up a bit.